This is so frustrating...

there are so many different types of pups, and it's really hard trying to figure out what to get.

Well to start I have an Ibanez RG321MH, and I like metal and drop tunings sounds of Killswitch Engage, Three Days Grace and Static-X, but I still like other sounds like Staind or The Offspring.

I know I want to go with passive, but not too sure on what would be a good set. So far I've considered Bare Knuckles, Seymour, and Dimarzio.

I read another thread that recommended bare knuckles warpig with seymour jazzs, so that's one choice. But I want to see if there would be anything else (so I don't have to spend $150+ on the warpigs).

Any recommendations?
Seymour duncan 59 in the neck for the clean tones and a JB or a Custom in the bridge.

Why don't you want active pickups? a pair of emgs ( 81 bridge 60 neck) do the trick even better. And they'll compliment the mahogany .
Orange Enthousiast.
At first I was going to buy the Zakk Wylde set, then I read a lot of threads saying that actives sound sterile and crappy clean. Plus the fact that I would have to change the battery every so often just bothers me a little...
I really wish I could find an audio clip of them in a similar guitar, considering I can't just go to a store and play one(I'm in Japan).
which custom do you mean? The Custom 5, Duncan Custom, or the Custom Custom?
Quote by TTC
Seymour duncan 59 in the neck for the clean tones and a JB or a Custom in the bridge.

Why don't you want active pickups? a pair of emgs ( 81 bridge 60 neck) do the trick even better. And they'll compliment the mahogany .

+1 for both suggestions.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
i started out with a ToneZone in the bridge, and after 3 other neck pickups, i found the super 2 to be a perfect match. they are very tonally and output balanced together and the super 2 gets really nice harmonic response
has anyone tried the dimarzio X2N?

I was thinking about just using that in the bridge or the duncan distortion...but i'm leaning more towards the duncan.
for now just a crate glx212

but i was considering buying a Crate GT1200H/G412SL Half Stack
Err...Not really an upgrade. If you're going to spend that much money on a half stack, why don't you just buy a tube combo? It'll sound much better, and be much louder...

I ask because new pickups really only shine through a good amp...And neither of those amps you listed are really that good. An amp is moree influential on your tone (I'd like to think 80%, technique aside), so I recommend just saving up, getting a nice tube combo, and seeing how the stock pickups sound through that.
Quote by fhjkalfhu
has anyone tried the dimarzio X2N?

I was thinking about just using that in the bridge or the duncan distortion...but i'm leaning more towards the duncan.

haha I heard that the X2N is a joke to all the DiMarzio reps, they actually made the pickup as a joke and it somehow caught on. Its basically like an extremely muddy/way to high gain pickup that has bad cleans.

If you're looking for a good metal pickup for drop tunnings look into the DiMarzio D-sonic, if you install it with the solid bar facing the bridge its meant for drop tunnings and if you install it with that solid bar facing the neck its more geared towards standard tunnings and shred. The EQ balance on that pickup is much more balanced that other DiMarzio pickups, it carries very nice mid range for smooth leads, the low end is perfect for drop tunnings and such and the treble is very rounded off instead of being harsh like the X2n and such.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by Tensorspencer
haha I heard that the X2N is a joke to all the DiMarzio reps, they actually made the pickup as a joke and it somehow caught on. Its basically like an extremely muddy/way to high gain pickup that has bad cleans.

If you're looking for a good metal pickup for drop tunnings look into the DiMarzio D-sonic, if you install it with the solid bar facing the bridge its meant for drop tunnings and if you install it with that solid bar facing the neck its more geared towards standard tunnings and shred. The EQ balance on that pickup is much more balanced that other DiMarzio pickups, it carries very nice mid range for smooth leads, the low end is perfect for drop tunnings and such and the treble is very rounded off instead of being harsh like the X2n and such.

Thanks, I will definatly take that into consideration. How would you compare that to the Duncan Distortion? I'm still kinda stuck on that one because I love Static-x's sound, but a pickup designed for drop tunings would be more suitable.
Last edited by fhjkalfhu at Jun 25, 2007,

I heard that too, from the main Dimarzio rep in the UK, apparently they made it as a bit of a joke and mocked up some posters - going along the lines of "You can't buy this pickup - it's far too powerful", and were subsequently inundated with orders
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Your pick ups are fine. You need a new amp, i like the tube combo idea.
amp=makes sound you hear.
guitar=what you use to make music for the amp.
Quote by steven seagull
I heard that too, from the main Dimarzio rep in the UK, apparently they made it as a bit of a joke and mocked up some posters - going along the lines of "You can't buy this pickup - it's far too powerful", and were subsequently inundated with orders

i heard that too.

a little knowledge is frequently dangerous.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Do you like Chuck Schuldiner's tone, if so you will love the X2N.
My Gear
Edwards E-LP-98LTC
Ibanez RG 321 MH
Jackson DK2M with tonezone
Mesa Mark III
Tech 21 Trademark 10