So I'm thinking about starting my own music store but I can't help at wonder how it can possibly work. I mean say for instance, I wanna sell guitars, how do you buy them cheap enough so that you can sell them to make money on them. How do store vendors get this stuff cheap enough to sell it? Any other ideas to help make this business of mine work would be greatly appreciated.
I'd suggest a business studies course

You source reps, those reps represent companies and you stock the guitars they push.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
you realise that the prices retailers buy at are cheaper than what they sell for. sometimes its around a few quid, othertimes its a nice profit margin. heck, i think they made about £300 when i bought my A6
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I'm not sure you have to pay a whole lot at all

Having a specific brands guitar in your store could be considered advertising, and very good promotion for their guitar (if people like the guitars)

But then again maybe you do..
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
When you buy from guitar companys and you have a store to sell there products they usually give you what is called a dealer price.
You get say about 10-20 of the same product which is expensive but they give you a discount where where its as if you only really bought 12-15 of those.and when you get it to the store you sell it more then what you bought it for...Thats how you make a profit..
Thats why when you go to guitar center and other stores to buy stuff they can lower the price..

Its a really hard business to make money at..
buy used guitairs super cheap
and rip people off a little less
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
Well this is what i would do:

Send away to major manufacturers of guitar brands and tell them that they will advertise their guitars in your shop if they will sell you them cheapily and they will get a fixed income on the profit.

I dunno - i don't know how business works.
actually what you do is you have to get permission from the company, like to sell ibanez guitars you have to pay $50,000 just to carry them, that is if you sell them new straight from the company, and then gibson and fender are x-amount of money to carry them, then they sell them to you at lower prices and so on, its not like you can just buy them from the dealer for cheap like its nothing, if that was the case you could just get like 10 people who wanted a certain guitar and youd all chip in, see what im saying? its really a hit or miss business, a big gamble, id only do it if you already had money or another source of income, and most likely since this will fail or you wont be able to support yourself: you might want a backup plan...
^to be able to sell ernie ball products you have to buy a stupid amount of stock. thats not how it works.

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by i bleed metal
i have some knowledge on this because i actually looked into it myself

whoops, the post above yours

Quote by metaldud536

Quote by IndieMetalhead
^to be able to sell ernie ball products you have to buy a stupid amount of stock. thats not how it works.

with quite a few guitar companies you have to pay before you can sell their product, i dont know if youre just pulling that ernie ball thing out of your ass or not, but i never said thats how it goes with all companies, i just know of ibanez fender and gibson that works like that
I wouldn't ask anybody on a forum about how to run a music store. Just take some business courses and then hope you have enough luck to get your business running
OAKLAND A's - 9 TIME CHAMPS!!

DUKE BLUE DEVILS - 4 TIME CHAMPS & 19 TIME ACC CHAMPS!!

OAKLAND RAIDERS - 4 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

GOLDEN STATE WARRIORS - 3 TIME LEAGUE CHAMPS!!

SAN JOSE SHARKS - NONE LOL!!
i have no clue.

this is a wild guess but they might have a deal with the company so that they can sell the guitars but both share the profit, not sure.
If your still not sure - Go into a local store and ask.

However that might not work....
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
business course really have nothing to do with it. im just curious to how many guitars i would have to sell to make profit. i got about 20k to invest so i feel good financially.
Quote by i bleed metal
with quite a few guitar companies you have to pay before you can sell their product, i dont know if youre just pulling that ernie ball thing out of your ass or not, but i never said thats how it goes with all companies, i just know of ibanez fender and gibson that works like that

I actually worked for a short time at a local guitar store and he only stocks Rotosound. i asked why and he told me he had to invest about 3 grand in stock before he could even sell them!

Quote by metaldud536

first of all, you need an assload of money. you can't start from scratch and make any sort of profit. I'd suggest working in another store and see how they operate.
You are asking the wrong people. Musicians are not famous for their marketing capacities.