ok, so basically, pretty soon im going to start playing guitar in my youth group, so thatd be playing twice a week up there. (practice and wednesday nights) but they dont like their guitarists to use amps up there because its easier for them to use the pa. so the other guitarist (s) use digital efeects processors like the digitech gnx3 or boss gt-8 or whatever straight through the pa. i dont have a pedal like this. in the meantime i could just use one of the guitarists crappy digitech rp pedal, but soon i want to get a decent one. im wondering what i should be looking at in a limited price range. (note that i could very likely go used)
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

Boss GT-8 if you can but if not then go with a GT-6.

if you want cheaper, the Zoom G7.1ut would be worth a look or better, the G9.2tt if you can, do check them out.
You could also just use the line-out/headphone jack on your amp and run it into the mixer. Its a temporary solution until you find something with a bit of amp modeling.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Go the stompbox.net and look at their MFX shootout.

Just for info, the digitech rp250 and 350 are quite good sounding.Very comparable/better than the big MFX. They're cheap too but give you a lot of features.
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Could you not use a single pedal/s?

A tube screamer direct into a PA won't really sound good. GT-6 or GT-8 sounds great...a used POD XTL if you're on a budget will do the job as well.
The Digitech RP series of multi-effects processors are actually quite good.

It's a shame I had to give mine up. I got some pretty imaginative sounds out of it with the auto-wah and delay. Plus, it gave me one hell of a distorted sound.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
Quote by marvelboy_04
ok, so basically, pretty soon im going to start playing guitar in my youth group, so thatd be playing twice a week up there. (practice and wednesday nights) but they dont like their guitarists to use amps up there because its easier for them to use the pa. so the other guitarist (s) use digital efeects processors like the digitech gnx3 or boss gt-8 or whatever straight through the pa. i dont have a pedal like this. in the meantime i could just use one of the guitarists crappy digitech rp pedal, but soon i want to get a decent one. im wondering what i should be looking at in a limited price range. (note that i could very likely go used)

try the boss gt-8 or the yamaha magicstomp.

I run my magicstomp directly into the mixer and a pa system and it still sounds amazing.
Quote by washburndean
The Digitech RP series of multi-effects processors are actually quite good.

It's a shame I had to give mine up. I got some pretty imaginative sounds out of it with the auto-wah and delay. Plus, it gave me one hell of a distorted sound.

i tried out my friend who plays guitar up there's one and i wasnt too impressed.
ive found out the boss gt-6 is discontinued. how much would one of those be used?
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99

You could also try a Korg multi-effects processor.

I'm not sure of the model names, but I've heard good things mentioned of the brand.
My gear:

MIJ Squier Stratocaster

Washburn WR150 Quilted Top

Oscar Schmidt Semi-hollow Delta King

Epiphone Hummingbird

Amps: Fender Eighty-Five
thanks i might have to check that out too.^

now heres another thing. i hope to go to guitarcenter soon, but when i do, what amp should i try it on, because id really just use it through the pa, if i got one.
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

If you want an idea of how it'll sound through a PA run it through a clean solid state amp like the Roland JC120
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
hmm. interesting idea. actually doesnt guitar center have stuff setup for that?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Yes, also try out the GT-8 through a keyboard amp...sounds great and will give you a pretty good approximation of how it will sound through a PA. Also, haggle haggle haggle. I've known several that have walked out of GC with a brand new in the box GT-8 for $200 flat.
Quote by steven seagull
Tech 21 Sansamp

That about sums it up right there. That or the line out of your amp.
ok, well update. the other guitarist playing up there has a digitech rp200 and a boss gt-8, but he lost the cord for his boss so i cant borrow his digitech right now, so i might need a pedal like that sooner than i thought. i played the first practice, but i had to play straight through the pa with a direct box, so i only had a clean signal, and couldnt hardly hear myself. in the meantime, should i run my distortion pedal through the direct box, so i atleast have a gain stage?
Quote by Soma3009

Quote by saintjimmy99

Go tell them to **** themselves, and bring your amp up to line levels, without micing it.

Otherwise, if you wanna be a little boy about it, then try to score a Pod XTL. In my opinion, it is a bit better than the comparable Boss GT-8. Both are pretty horrible in my opinion either way.

Why not get buy a nice rack Preamp instead? and run that straight into the house PA?
Look into the Rocktron Prophesy II.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Last edited by Striketalonx at Jun 24, 2007,
Quote by Striketalonx
Go tell them to **** themselves, and bring your amp up to line levels, without micing it.

Otherwise, if you wanna be a little boy about it, then try to score a Pod XTL. In my opinion, it is a bit better than the comparable Boss GT-8. Both are pretty horrible in my opinion either way.

Why not get buy a nice rack Preamp instead? and run that straight into the house PA?
Look into the Rocktron Prophesy II.

In my opinion, the Prophesy isn't that great...I've gotten better out of the GT-8. To each his own, as always.
Quote by TwoString
In my opinion, the Prophesy isn't that great...I've gotten better out of the GT-8. To each his own, as always.

Nah, I'm not saying the Prophesy is that hot either, just recommending a Preamp-based rig over a processor. Also: what did you run the Prophesy through? and the Gt-8 through?
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join