so im planning on buying parts and building a gutiar this summer...but what should imake??a strat?or a explorer??waht are the difference in sound really??
explorer, cause everyone builds strats
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Explorers will have more sustain becuase of the larger body. If you build the "standard" for either one it would be set neck or neck thru with a mahogoney body and two humbuvkers for the explorer and a bolt on neck with an alder body and single coils for the strat. But don't follow that, be origanal. Make a walnut neck thru strat and give it Hum-Single pickup configuration!
Yeah whatever you do, be original. The guys above had some good ideas to get you started.
I agree, build an Explorer, they are cooler looking guitars in my opinion. However, I say don't put in funky pickups like mini-buckers or single-coils, they aren't gonna work well in an Explorer. Instead, I'd put in as many pickups as possible, you could fit about four of them. Don't forget your Floyd Rose, or better yet, use a Kahler. And wire up two output jacks, so you can play in STEREO. As far as wood, go really exotic, buy some ironwood from the Amazon. The guitar will weigh like 15 lbs., and you'll go thru about three sets of tools just cutting it... but man that would be unique, and would sustain forever... There you go, build a four pickup, stereo output, Kahler loaded, ironwood neck-thru guitar. You'll never find another person with that guitar, nor would you find many people that could hold it for more than 20 mins.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
^ Yeah, and also, a helipad on the headstock and two more pickups on the back, so it'll pick up sound from a belt buckle, rawr!!
Whatevers more comfortable to you I guess. I actually just opened this thread because I'm faced with the same exact decision right now. I'm planning a Warmoth build but I'm between a Strat and Explorer, leaning towards the Strat. Either way it'll have dual humbuckers.
Quote by AngusX
I agree, build an Explorer, they are cooler looking guitars in my opinion. However, I say don't put in funky pickups like mini-buckers or single-coils, they aren't gonna work well in an Explorer. Instead, I'd put in as many pickups as possible, you could fit about four of them. Don't forget your Floyd Rose, or better yet, use a Kahler. And wire up two output jacks, so you can play in STEREO. As far as wood, go really exotic, buy some ironwood from the Amazon. The guitar will weigh like 15 lbs., and you'll go thru about three sets of tools just cutting it... but man that would be unique, and would sustain forever... There you go, build a four pickup, stereo output, Kahler loaded, ironwood neck-thru guitar. You'll never find another person with that guitar, nor would you find many people that could hold it for more than 20 mins.

Wow. Good input.

And why wouldn't mini-humbuckers (note, not single coil sized humbuckers...) work?
Quote by walker-rose
whats a helipad?

Are you serious, it's a concrete pad where helicopters land.
Member of the Metal Militia. PM Gibson_10 or AngelOfSorrow to join
thats what i thought, i just wasnt sure that it wasnt something that would makeweird noises on your guitar.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
I'm just not a huge fan of mini-buckers. Probably 'cause I haven't had a ton of experience with them. They just don't seem like they would complement an Explorer's tonality (of course, if you build it out of ironwood like I said who knows what kind of tone it would have). I like the humbuckers on back to pickup a belt buckle. A heli-pad seems a bit big, but a concrete paint job would be wicked looking if you are into the industrial look. Maybe you should make the headstock into a GIANT letter H, that'd be cool.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
you coul amke the guitar out of solid steel. it would weigh a ton but look unique. Guitars have been made out of this before a think a james trusset steelville. a more realistic one is a hollow bodied steel. i've heard that steel gives alot of bass. but it is up to YOU!
yoyoyuyo

Guitars.........................Amp.................Pedals (getting new)
Ibanez S470................Laney VC15.....Boss DS-1 (it's bad)
PRS SE Soapbar II
Ibanez aw15 acoustic
I love my Explorers, even though they're just Epiphones. The all Mahogany body and set neck + Ebony fretboard + relatively massive size make it sound so good, even unplugged. The only thing is, if you're short and/or small, the size makes you look like a hobbit. I want the Korina version next. BTW,