Hey everybody.

I've searched all over, and I just can't find it. I keep getting information on case dimensions but that doesn't help me any.

So does anybody have the measurements of a Gibson SG?
Trace the outline of anybody else's SG or download CAD schematics.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Yeah, I'm gonna build one. So I need to know the dimensions. I'll probably end up altering the shape a bit eventually, but before I can do all that I need the size.

What's CAD schematics?
Just print a picture, get the ratio of the width of the pups in real life to the width in the pic, and multiply each dimension by that ratio.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
All right. I'll give that a shot. But won't I still need the measurement of a pickup? The ones in my guitar may be different than the ones that are used in the picture, so the measurements wouldnt be accurate would they?
Last edited by Duval67 at Jun 22, 2007,
Rent a guitar.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Duval67
All right. I'll give that a shot. But won't I still need the measurement of a pickup? The ones in my guitar may be different than the ones that are used in the picture, so the measurements wouldnt be accurate would they?

Humbuckers are humbuckers. They measure the same.

Alternatively, knowing that a Gibson SG's scale length is 24.75", you could scale up the pic to that.
All right, thanks everybody.

To be sure, where is the scale length measured from? Like from where to where?
All right. Thanks for your help. I might put up a thread about the build later. Look for it:p

Good lick!
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Good lick. Har har:p

It'll be about two weeks before I get started on actually building. Possibly more, because I will be building it at my dads place, and he's moving, so all his tools may be packed up when I'm here next. I will put up a thread with the plans once I've finalized them though.
Hey thanks man! That'll be a huge help!

Now is it really worth it to pay so much more for the laser cut wood templates?
I'm sure I could do it fine with the paper ones couldn't I?
Yea the paper ones will be fine, but if u got an extra $60 why not? and the other guy will take about 2-3 weeks to make custom plans. Plus the wood ones would be easier to use with a router than some paper tracings. But the paper ones is what Im gonna use, but Im still waiting on mine. With the paper ones ur options are limitless, as far as design possibilities. U can have anything u want, so be sure to be very detailed about what u want, if u contact him.

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
Last edited by orion91 at Jun 22, 2007,
As of now, I definetly don't have the cash to be getting those expensive ones, So I'll be going with the paper ones. Now if I order the plans of just a regular Gibson SG, would it take as long to get to me as a custom plan would?
I dont recall seeing ones for an SG? But if he has some that I over looked, then no it should'nt take as long.

Btw how much do u plan on spending on this project?

Last edited by orion91 at Jun 22, 2007,
There's one there. And I'm not quite sure. It'll probably end up being...maybe around 800 dollars. That's just a quick estimate though. Could be a lot more, or a little less.
I'll probably have to get a job to make the cash though.
After quickly skimming through some potential materials, probably more like $500-$700
thats more than I thought, anyways good luck!

Thanks.

I was talking to my dad this morning, and he said we could get the wood I want for a hell of a lot cheaper than I was thinking. So the price may be down to around 350-500.
Are going with solid quilted maple?

I'm not too sure yet. Check out the SG-based Build thread. I'm debating it in there.
yea I thought they were the seem thread