Ok, i don't under stand tube amps. I'm trying to decide weather i should go solid state or tube, but before i do make the desicion i want to know what tube amps are all about.

Ok, numero uno

Cost. I've heard the generally solids are cheaper, and thats a big plus for me. and then there's the replacing of tubes and matinence. How often do the tubes need to be changed.

2. the distortion. solid state you turn a knob. i've heard that distortion comes from tube amps from tubes overdriven by cranking the volume. Wassup with that?

3. ok, im using this for an example. The Epi valve junior. In another form, a guy said to buy a cab for it. and the actual amp only has 5 watts of power. is the valve amp a preamp? and what exactlly is a preamp?

Thanks in advance, im sorry if there already is a forum that has all this information.
MY STUFF

Epiphone Les Paul Standard-Ebony
Silvertone 10 wt Amp
Digitech RP50

Quote by AmonMortem
This is the Internet. Men are men, and girls are FBI agents in disguise.

Member #19 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
There's an ultiamte tube amp thread which is really helpful at the top of the gear and accessories thread
well....imo the only place solid state excels tubes are very jangly cleans or death metal...inbetween is dominated buy tube, and i prefer tube also...

1. dont expect to turn a ss to 10 unless you play deathmetal or heavier...
2. tubes you hear seperate notes, ss they are combined to get one sound
3. tube amps are percieved to be louder to the human ear because of sub-harmonics(i think..well they seem louder, i think its the harmonics that does it)
4. tube amps sound better the louder they are, opposed to ss...and we all know that when the parents leave it gets turned up all the way....(screw the neighbors)

also a preamp takes the guitar signal and modifies it to sound how the preamp is voiced, and then amplifies it to line level (or enough for the poweramp to use it)

the poweramp will give it a pleasant distortion the louder it is if its tube....

hope this helps...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by Mortified
Ok, i don't under stand tube amps. I'm trying to decide weather i should go solid state or tube, but before i do make the desicion i want to know what tube amps are all about.

Ok, numero uno

Cost. I've heard the generally solids are cheaper, and thats a big plus for me. and then there's the replacing of tubes and matinence. How often do the tubes need to be changed.

2. the distortion. solid state you turn a knob. i've heard that distortion comes from tube amps from tubes overdriven by cranking the volume. Wassup with that?

3. ok, im using this for an example. The Epi valve junior. In another form, a guy said to buy a cab for it. and the actual amp only has 5 watts of power. is the valve amp a preamp? and what exactlly is a preamp?

Thanks in advance, im sorry if there already is a forum that has all this information.

tube amps sometimes cost more but there are affordable ones. tubes need to be changed from every year to every few years. its no hassle. also when something goes wrong its usually just a tube. tube amps are easier to fix.

2. thats only on certain amps. like a marshall plexi. they get that awesome sound frm cranking it. like ac/dc's sound. but most amps also have a gain knob just like any ss amp would have.

3. the valve junior isnt a preamp, i think you mean a head. a head is an amp with no speaker. this allows you to mix and match the amp and speaker. also a 4x12 cab has better bass response. i cant really explain a preamp, but i can tell you an amp is made of a preamp and poweramp

also i dont believe the thing about ss being better for cleans and death metal. fender tube amps have what most people claim the best cleans. and there are plenty of tube amps made for death metal. such as a peavey 6505 or a mesa rectifier
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
oh...I see it....the light....*squints*

thank you all very much.... i thought the tubes had to be changed much more often than that.

just one more question

how do you connect a head to a cab? just a regular cable?
MY STUFF

Epiphone Les Paul Standard-Ebony
Silvertone 10 wt Amp
Digitech RP50

Quote by AmonMortem
This is the Internet. Men are men, and girls are FBI agents in disguise.

Member #19 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join
a speaker cable. dont use an instrument cable. i learned the hard way

in case you were wondering, my amp went pop and blew up. then it smelled like smoke
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by InanezGuitars44
a speaker cable. dont use an instrument cable. i learned the hard way

in case you were wondering, my amp went pop and blew up. then it smelled like smoke

ouch dude What was it?
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
1.SS is cheaper, and by Cheaper I mean Cheaper sounding.
2.Tube is way better, everything about it's better.
3.Used tube amps go for cheap. Some just as much as a SS amp.
4.Tube amps sound louder. For example 15w Tube = 50w SS. They aren't actually louder, but they sound louder.
5.Tubes last about 5 years, sometimes even more.
6. Tube amps sound better as they get turned up.
7.Pre-amp tubes are in the Pre-amp, and Power tubes are in the power section.

Well put I think.
Quote by Yngwi3
ouch dude What was it?

it was a laney 50 watt ss amp. its sucks because i used it as a practice/backup amp. it sounded pretty good actually. if you look at any of my youtube videos, im using it in all of them. i got it for 95 bucks, so im not too devastated. but i might get it fixed later on. right now im usin a little 15 watt behringer

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I change powertubes every 2 years or so, and preamp tubes every 4-5 years. Although, my father does have a marshall that has preamp tubes in it from the 80's.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
2. thats only on certain amps. like a marshall plexi. they get that awesome sound frm cranking it. like ac/dc's sound. but most amps also have a gain knob just like any ss amp would have.

Unless I'm mistaken, the gain knob on a tube amp controls the preamp section.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
On one of my amps, the preamp gain controls the amount of gain, and the post gain is the volume.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by jman007_93
1.SS is cheaper, and by Cheaper I mean Cheaper sounding.
2.Tube is way better, everything about it's better.
3.Used tube amps go for cheap. Some just as much as a SS amp.
4.Tube amps sound louder. For example 15w Tube = 50w SS. They aren't actually louder, but they sound louder.
5.Tubes last about 5 years, sometimes even more.
6. Tube amps sound better as they get turned up.
7.Pre-amp tubes are in the Pre-amp, and Power tubes are in the power section.

Well put I think.

Instead of being a prick like i normally would, i really wish you would know what your talking about before you make idiotic assumptions.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
^ He's just excited about his Peavy Classic 30.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"