I've read plenty of threads where people say how much they aren't happy with Crate amps. Many people write that they have muddy distortion and I can say the same thing being that I've tried a few out at the time.

What is it that you play and whats your price range?
I had a Crate, and its very solite-state sounding, if you know what i mean. Very electronic. I'd go for a tube amp. Whats your budget?
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
I'm not looking to buy one, I've owned one of these things for about 2 years due to a stupid desicsion (look how cheap it is, and how many watts its got!), and I'm thinking of stepping up to a tube amp, just wondering what everyone's opinions were on it.

I found it to be really noisy in the solo channel when I'm using the bridge pickup (burstbucker pro) in my Les Paul, and the distortion wasn't the greatest. I also didn't like the clean channel to much, very bland sounding

Next question: What tube amps do you reccomend in the $550 or under range? I play rock, metal (well mostly metalcore haha), and I want to get into jazz.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe... Amazing amp. Needs a pedal for metal though.
If you play Metalcore then the ideal amp for that is the Peavey 6505. It's no where near $550, but I thought it would be good having mentioned it. I think that you won't be able to get a really good tube amp for that price. You may find one, but sooner or later you're going to need to upgrade to one that can truly deliver.
Quote by Dimebag22
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe... Amazing amp. Needs a pedal for metal though.

I've heard lots of good things about that amp, and I have a pedal. Would it be usuable inside, or would it be to loud? I don't wanna buy an amp that can just be used for gigging because of ridiculously loud it is.
Quote by JD Red LP
I've heard lots of good things about that amp, and I have a pedal. Would it be usuable inside, or would it be to loud? I don't wanna buy an amp that can just be used for gigging because of ridiculously loud it is.

I own one, and you can use it inside. Just put the volume at like 7 o'clock hahah. I havent gigged with it yet but im positive that it would be great. But overall, great amp with beautiful cleans and a great blues overdrive.
Yes but it will be worthless for metal. A Peavey 5150II or 6505+ are your best bet. Almost the same as the standard 5150/6505 but with better cleans.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
Yes but it will be worthless for metal. A Peavey 5150II or 6505+ are your best bet. Almost the same as the standard 5150/6505 but with better cleans.

Not with a good pedal. and he says, ROCK and metal and he wants to learn JAZZ. the ones i capitalized are great with this amp, let him use his pedal if he wants to play metal. I have a pedal and can play metal great on my deluxe.
the hotrod deluxe has no chance of handling metal. see if you can get like a used mesa combo.

well it could but you would need a very high gain pedal. and JJs i haver heard are the best for higher gain. it would need to be rebiased. and now you would have a VERY feedbacky amp from 0-150 feet away so now you need an attentuator
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
A Hot Rod is completely wrong, even with a pedal, it's an incredibly clean, incredibly bright amp. Sounds godly with single coils, sounds pretty crap if you try and get it to sound heavy.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
A Hot Rod is completely wrong, even with a pedal, it's an incredibly clean, incredibly bright amp. Sounds godly with single coils, sounds pretty crap if you try and get it to sound heavy.

You can get a rock tone out of it. and definitely good for Jazz if hes gonna take that on. How much do you like to play metal? Its definitely a Clean/blues/rock amp, if your looking to take on extreme distortion then dont get it, but it can handle some gain. it all depends on what you enjoy playing the most.
have you tried the vox ad50vt?
best you can get for the price IMO.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Vox-Valvetronix-AD50VT-50W-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=482615

im buying that this sunday

EDIT: Didnt realize you had up to $550, you can probably get better with that money then...
Quote by nt1440
thats true, i hate kids who go "oh noess limewire is soo bad, viruses everywhere crashed my computer, had to buy a new one" well mayb thatll teach u that the a song isnt 112 kb and named cute_teen_has_orgasm_on_webcam_xxx
Quote by Dimebag22
You can get a rock tone out of it. and definitely good for Jazz if hes gonna take that on. How much do you like to play metal? Its definitely a Clean/blues/rock amp, if your looking to take on extreme distortion then dont get it, but it can handle some gain. it all depends on what you enjoy playing the most.
I heard a load of musicians yesterday at Glastonbury using just their guitar into a HRD/HRDv with the amp's gain. It sounded pretty much like ****e.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I heard a load of musicians yesterday at Glastonbury using just their guitar into a HRD/HRDv with the amp's gain. It sounded pretty much like ****e.

A band I jam with have one, sounds incredible with a strat, but sounds a bit cruddy with something loaded with hot-rodded humbuckers. the "More Drive" channel on the Deville is as bad as they say, it's really weak and fuzzy. Drive channel is ok but I honestly get a better "overdriven" sound by using the clean channel and hammering the strings. Absolutely fantastic amp for what it does well though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
A band I jam with have one, sounds incredible with a strat, but sounds a bit cruddy with something loaded with hot-rodded humbuckers. the "More Drive" channel on the Deville is as bad as they say, it's really weak and fuzzy. Drive channel is ok but I honestly get a better "overdriven" sound by using the clean channel and hammering the strings. Absolutely fantastic amp for what it does well though.
Mmm, the particular example I heard was some guy using some semi-hollow, looked like a Riviera or something. It just sounded pretty gainy, trebly, quite fizzy and muddy, I dunno what settings and what exact gear he was using obviously :]

The sound was of course, dwarvd by those beautiful Hiwatts...

They do great cleans though, which I can attest to, and takes pedals relatively well so yeah, good for what they do indeed
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
Mmm, the particular example I heard was some guy using some semi-hollow, looked like a Riviera or something. It just sounded pretty gainy, trebly, quite fizzy and muddy, I dunno what settings and what exact gear he was using obviously :]

The sound was of course, dwarvd by those beautiful Hiwatts...

They do great cleans though, which I can attest to, and takes pedals relatively well so yeah, good for what they do indeed

for sure man. the cleans on that thing are brilliant. The drive channel is good if you have the right EQ set good, same goes for the More Drive channel. But if you need a heavier tone such as AC/DC, Sabbath, and Metallica, you'll need a pedal. Some people think that even with a pedal it can't do metal Thats bullshit. Just have it set to the right EQ and that thing can put out.