Page 1 of 2
Ok my question is...if you took the best player in the world at the three instruments usually used in most bands(bass,drums,guitar), complete masters at their instruments, which one do you think would be the most skilled? I guess another way of saying it is...which instrument of those is the harderst to master...?
Member #8 of the "I Love Mexican Food" club. PM frozen-dirt to join
I dont know about that, but IMO, if you took the best player in the world at guitar, bass and drums you'd have Dream Theater .
Whats the definition of 'to master something'? Arent we always working to become the best, yet no one is really there? Look at Vai, he practices 25 hours a day, even though hes considered one of the best.

And for the instruments you picked, they are all equally important. You need them all to make a band and without one of them the band is lacking. Sure you can still have a band, but to many people ears it wont sound good (including mine).
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Voldragon
I dont know about that, but IMO, if you took the best player in the world at guitar, bass and drums you'd have Dream Theater .
Quote by bsoates
Ok my question is...if you took the best player in the world at the three instruments usually used in most bands(bass,drums,guitar), complete masters at their instruments, which one do you think would be the most skilled? I guess another way of saying it is...which instrument of those is the harderst to master...?

When you find the answer, are you going to take up that instrument and master it so you can say your the most skilled musician in the world?
shred is gaudy music
It is impossible to reach complete mastery of an instrument as it is always possible to improve no matter who you are be it through improving technique, theory knowledge, how to play in different styles. For anyone to do that on any instrument takes a persons whole life and dedication so I'd say its equal to become a master of any instrument however some are easier/sound better when you are first beginning, some sound god awful (eg violin, god I hate the squeaking of beginners).
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
heh, well once you get so good at these instruments the techniques and ability involved are all drastically different. a bass is played different than a guitar is once you really get into bass technique, same w/ guitar and drums. so this is like saying "which is more skilled, a master painter or a master sculptor or a master architect?"
I'm actually going to answer the question.

I would say guitar. I really can't speak for drums, as I am terrible at them, but i think that's one of those things that you either get, or you don't. But I play both bass and guitar, and I find guitar harder. I mean, even though it is true, like the people say, that you are always a student to your instrument, say you do learn EVERYTHING, there is simply more to master on a guitar, than a bass. A "mastered" guitarist should have learned everything that a "mastered" bassist should know, and more, considering there are two more strings, and many more possibilities.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
^ watch some vic wooten, imo he owns vai/satch/yngwie any day of the week (and yes, i am a guitarist)
Well, the real question is... once you were to "master" an instrument (meaning you've done completely everything), what would you do?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
^+1 The day you know all there is to know about music and how to play an instrument is the day to quit imo.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
I would stear clear of this too (not to be rude, but what I would have said has already been said), but that last question is too intreging!

What would anyone do? Use their knowledge of said instrument to make the music of the heart and/or mind, and/or soul's desire! I mean, I know that's what I would do with that kinda knowledge... though mastery just really isn't atainable... so many combinations available on any given "instrument" in the world of music.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Quote by z4twenny
^ watch some vic wooten, imo he owns vai/satch/yngwie any day of the week (and yes, i am a guitarist)

Hey, i'm not saying that vai/satch/yngwie are anywhere near mastering their instruments. I think there are better people out there, and some being bassists. I think mingus is better, for one. I can't think of more off of the top of my head right now, though.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
^ no man, i know, i'm just saying vic's got a killer technique and the stuff he does on a bass you wouldn't do on a guitar (slapping is a good example, although you could i don't recall ever hearing it used in any relative context) and granted those guys are probably not masters of their instrument i'm just saying that once you become so technically proficient the way you play your instrument varies greatly from other instruments, so again to reiterate it's kinda like comparing artists from different backgrounds (in fact, really thats almost exactly what it is)
I think mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
If I remember right, Steve vai did slapping on a guitar in a band that had probably the best combination of masterful (not master) guitarist and bassist, David Lee Roth. Well, if you look at it analytically, there are theoretically more possiblities on a standard guitar than a standard bass, but theory is never fact. There is no way of truly judging who is more skilled at different instruments. That's like saying which one does it's job better, a lawnmower or a Corvette? A Corvette will not trim your front yard, and a lawn mower isn't going to dial up a buck-ninety on the highway (if you can find either one that does that, please let me know, I wanna see that!!!). You're beyond comparing apples to oranges here, you're comparing a crayon to a foosball table, there is no way of comparing them to decide which is better.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
A musician who is a master will never know it, although some call themselves it when they are not.

philosophy aside, the whole notion of

a) there being someone who is objectively more skilled than everybody else
b) the notion of comparing musicians objectively

are completely useless.

Anyway, the way I see it, mastery is regardless of instrument. If we talk pure technique, brass instruments (particularly French Horn) and bowed strings generally win out. But mastery is still independent of instrument. It doesn't matter what the instrument is, a master is a master.
Well I was thinking along the lines of bands like Dream Theater with Petrucci and Portnoy or even like Morbid Angel with Trey and Pete, where both are considered really good at their instruments, but which one do you think is more talented? Kinda like all music guides bio on Dream Theater begins something like "Dream Theaters musical skills, particularly John Petruccis impeccable guitar chops, made the band a favorite among musicians..." get what Im sayin?
I think that if you can express yourself without technical limitation then you don't need to be any better.

On Trey and Pete vs. Petrucci... I don't believe in talent at all. I believe Petrucci has poured more effort and practise into his instrument, which is why he has more technical skill.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
nothing to do with the best,but generally the bass player is the most knowledgeable of the bunch
Quote by DeathDealer
nothing to do with the best,but generally the bass player is the most knowledgeable of the bunch

I hate to sorta debate with you (so many people argue with you and I sorta feel bad for ya. lol) But I would go to think that the guitarist or keyboardist would be the most knowledgeable of the bunch, simply because they have the knowledge of chords and chord formation/construction. Pianist especially, since they can do bass and treble at the same time, with 10 fingers.

Just thought I'd say that.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
You can never stop improving at an instrument - all it takes is good practice and imagination. Therfore no instrument is harder to master than another.

Theory is theory, doesn't matter if you play bass or keyboard, so noone should be more knowledgable than the others (in a perfect world).

However, bass players are undeniably the coolest.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
I'll disagree there.

"auxiliary percussion" for sure

A jam band just ain't a jam band without a token black bongo player.
Well if ur gonna put vs. it was meant as a Petrucci vs. Portnoy or Trey vs. Pete; drummer vs. guitarist kinda thing...
Quote by Nick_
Music is not a competition

Tell that to the owners of record labels.
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
As the others said, it is completely impossible to master an instrument...
But I guess it is possible to master an instrument in a specific genre. So, you could master the punk guitar, with all the powerchords and that stuff. Punk guitar doesn't include solos for me, thats what I mean. Mastering an instrument with all it's aspects isn't possible.
Quote by MadassAlex
Tell that to the owners of record labels.

Business is competitive though
DANNY

Theremin players.

There is no denying what I have said, for what I have said is gospel. The new gospel. The gospel of theremin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theremin

mad lols at Nick this thread is ridic
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.
Nightwind... you are quite possibly the most right of all us wrong bunch, . But yes, the theremin is quite possibly the hardest one to master, as probably what you eat has an affect on the thing! lmao. I love the theremin, if only there were more people out there using it ... now they just use pedal steels and synths... oh well... :P.
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Buddy Rich pwns Eddy Shaughnessy (Drummer)

Victor Wooten (Bass)

Paco De Lucia pwnage

More Paco

John Williams owns all of you and your souls (So does Barrios)

More John Williams on Barrios

My dream band: Paco, Mr. Williams, Vic Woot, and Buddy Rich

Wait, what was this thread about? Watch these guys play, how calm, relaxed, flowing their play is. THAT is mastery, no matter what instrument you play.

Speaking of Theramin, god damn...
Do not concentrate on the finger for you will miss all the heavenly glory.
Last edited by RobertEarlKeen at Jun 23, 2007,
I've found the instrument you enjoy playing the most is generally the one that most interests you. So when you listen to music you tend to listen for that instrument more, even if you're not meaning to. And it's different for different people. i have a much harder time playing the drums then some people, some people seem to just have a nack for it, while others practice the guitar for hours more every day then myself but still don't have the skill.
Quote by bluesrocker101
I hate to sorta debate with you (so many people argue with you and I sorta feel bad for ya. lol) But I would go to think that the guitarist or keyboardist would be the most knowledgeable of the bunch, simply because they have the knowledge of chords and chord formation/construction. Pianist especially, since they can do bass and treble at the same time, with 10 fingers.

Just thought I'd say that.

eeh,well i was just talkin in general average joe terms...the guitarist is usually the dumbest guy in any band i've been in. keyboardists weren't that impressive either,they have the knowledge but somehow don't know how to apply it to a band. the bass players on the other hand have been amazing...& no i'm not a bass player just in case
Page 1 of 2