Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. I can only tune with the tuner. My tuner is a Seiko ST737 . The needle tunes to the middle when it is in tune. It also has a "b" and "bb" feature. Open D is D A D F# A D and my tuner does have an F note on it. Can I just tune it to Gb as F#?
Gb and F# is the exact same note

Edit: well in some instruments they aren't..but in guitar..they are
Here's the easy way...:

- Tune your open high e down to D by using you open D string.
- Tune your open B down to A using your open a string
- Tune your open G down to F# using the 2nd fret of low E string.
- Tune your low E to D by using any of the D strings.

Pretty obvious really.
^^^ that would be great if I could tune by ear, but i'm not that good at it.
It's practice. Just listen to octaves on a piano or keyboard. It's a pretty easy sound to memorize and just take it from there.
Hey Im 50 & still cant tune by ear for crap. I have half a dozen tuners & use them religiously.
I can tell when any of my strings are out of tune (relative) but trying to match the frequency of one string to another forget that im to lazy when there is a machiune that will do it for me & they are cheap as.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
i find it really easy to tune by ear. I mean it's just a matter of listening.
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor GS Big Leaf Maple/ Sitka Spruce
I can't tune by ear either... :/ I've almost broken strings on a couple occasions trying. I was tuning a guitar and my friend was in the room and he's doing something else but suddenly is like "Stop!" and I am confused. I was still going up and I was like an octave high. I just can't hear if something is higher or lower pitch for some reason...
Yes Dolitle I have done the same thing, till the point of the string going PING .
I have learnt to tune by ear just that im to lazy it is much much easier to just watch the little needle, or the L.E.D. when its green its go the easiest way for me to tell if a string is too high or low is just pull a chord any chord & strum. For me the sour string stands out like dog's balls.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Well I'm a purist in most other guitar related matters but tuning nope!!.
It takes longer for me to tune by ear, so i do it the quick way & have almost lost the ability to do it by ear now. That isnt precicely correct, I'll pick up my guitar & strum to see if it is out & adjust to suit. So yes my first check for how in or out of tune is done by ear. It is simply a laziness thing for me i think & maybe a bit of old age creeping in as well. The way i see it the tuners today are so easy & cheap why would you ever bother to learn to tune by ear. Unless it is a something you need to do for your own feeling of self. I figure playing is where it is at so devote 4hrs a day to playing & want as much of that time to be playing not tuning. LOL
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Well i think tuning by ear helps a great deal with things like working out how to play songs by ear and all sorts of other useful stuff like playing with a band, composing etc etc. That's just my outlook though.
Yeah I totally agree with you .You simply cant 'mimic' off the radio etc without being able to hear what chord/note they are playing. But composing come on now. That surley comes from within. Well it does with me. It seems silly to say that you need to be able to tune by ear to compose. Im not trying to upset you or anything.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!