Okay so I am getting a tube amp for practice/recording, and maybe a jam with a friend.
I found 3 good looking 5w amps, but I need to know the difference between them (cleans, ovrdrive, gain amounts)

Crate V8 Palomino
Peavey ValveKing Royal 8
Epiphone Vlave Junior Head

The crate and the peavey are both 200 bucks, and the vj is 130, but ill need the cab for another 130

Thanks in advance
You really shouldn't buy something less than 15W. You will soon buy something bigger and your previous one will then be useless.

And btw, I have a 15W amp, and it's no good. Not a very good sound (whatever the brand it is as I've been told before) and well, it won't be very good over half of it's power. For practice with friends, I think everyone with a 15W amp should be fine.
Quote by Slicendice

stop using UG as a search engine.

I guarantee that google will be 10x more helpfull and loving.
well it is 5w tube, and my friend only has a 15w ss amp, so it'll be fine, and I'm on a small budget. plus I can push the amp at a low volume, which is what i am looking for because over the summer I plan to record a lot.
get a bigger crate palamino. its basically a good VJ with alot of controls and reverb. theyre also Class A and Crate just doesnt throw it in there because there's one preamp and one power amp tube. theres 2 EL84s and 3 12ax7s
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.
if you can spend a little bit more maybe look at a used cornford or orange amp. they both make 5-8watt amps just for practice and such. though they are a bit more expensive
Ibanez S620EX Limited Edition
Ibanez GAX70
Peavey Classic 50
Crate GX-15
^well they are all one channel.

What I need to know is how they all compare gain-wise. like are they good for blues(I'm assuming so), or if their cleans can are bright or warm. Thanks for the input
Haven't tried the Valveking.

Own the Epi. It's British voiced, kinda dark. Starts breaking up around noon on the dial. Gives a good, dark, blues tone. Improves with a tube swap.

The Fender Champion 600 has also been mentioned. As you might expect, it's very Fendery. Kinda bright, and clean almost all the way up the dial. Easy to use as a head if you wanted.

The Crate gives you a master volume and a tone control, so you can get some more preamp gain out of it at lower volumes than the one knob amps. Of all the 5W amps I've tried, I honestly think it's the best. For the same money as the Fender, you get those extra controls and a 10" speaker rather than a 6" one. It's come down in price, too, as it used to go for $270 or so. Now it's a steal, and I'd definitely recommend it.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
IF u get the head you know you need the extension cabinet?

but it is the best. i have one plenty big enuf for a gig with 200 people and that is is with the Vale junior amp not head. so with the head and cab it will be absolutly fine and defonatley the best!!!!
Quote by Heavil
You really shouldn't buy something less than 15W. You will soon buy something bigger and your previous one will then be useless.

And btw, I have a 15W amp, and it's no good. Not a very good sound (whatever the brand it is as I've been told before) and well, it won't be very good over half of it's power. For practice with friends, I think everyone with a 15W amp should be fine.

Tube amp, my friend, he's looking at tube amps. Low wattage tube amps are famouse for being able to get great sound at lower volumes. Ever heard of a song called, "Stairway to Heaven?" done with a small tube amp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra