It'd be for installing on an Ibanez RG321MH

I heard Seymour Duncan or EMG are good but what model?? and active/passive... what's the difference?? I know that active uses batteries but what does that change in the guitar???

Also, is a pickup change worth the price or not??? Like, should I keep to the stock Ibanez pickups?? I'd use it on a Laney HCM15R... but I'll be upgrading to a better amp soon (I hope!)

Last Question: Should I pay a guitar shop to do it for me or I should do it myself?? If so, how do I do that??

Thanks everyone!
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
1st of all...you still will need a pedal you know???

and 2nd seymor duncan and emg..they both rule...

and 3rd ofcourse you shud pay a guitar store to install em...or u might mess up...
maybe a dimarzio d-sonic
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
It really depends on how much you know about working with electronics and the like. I recently put in a DiMarzio pickup in my Jackson Warrior (insane pickup btw... SD's and EMG's are good too =P ).

If you have any sort of experience soldering then it shouldn't be that tough. With your guitar there should be a panel on the back just underneath where your tone and volume knobs are. If you take that off you should see a bunch of wires going every which direction. DO NOT get discouraged, it's not as bad as it seems. Now if it's the same as my guitar, there will be two small holes leading to your pickups. There should be one Thick wire and a Thin wire... the only one you need to worry about is the big one (which is actually 5 wires wrapped into one wire (a black, white, red, green, and bare wire). With the Dimarzio i just got (remeber different pickups have different wirings so read the instructions with them if you choose to do it yourself) you solder the black and white wires together after stripping of the tips and cover them with either shrink wrap or electrical tape. The bare wire and the green wire go to the ground (aka the little metal thing coming out of the side which seems to go nowhere). Then the red wire goes to your pickup selector switch, just solder to the same point the old wire was soldered onto. DO NOT UNSOLDER ANYTHING YOU DON'T NEED TO!!

If you could post a picture of the wiring in your guitar I could help you out a little more.

Just be ready so shell out some big bucks to have it done 'professionally', last place I checked around my area was gonna charge about 80 bucks an hour for a half hour job (but they said it can take up to two hours... total rip off)

For me the hardest part was stripping the wires. The wires inside the Big wire are REALLY tiny, so tiny that my wire stripper couldn't do it so I had to use an exacto knife. But don't worry, it usually comes with plenty of slack, just take it one tiny piece at a time. Also, if you don't have a soldering iron or solder, go with a standard plug-into-the-wall kind, i've tried both the ColdHeat thing and battery powered irons, they just don't cut it period and for solder, just get standard RESIN core, not acid core.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I'll help in any way i can

=P

**Nice guitar btw =P, putting new pickups in it will turn it into a great guitar. Stock pickups are not exactly the greatest >.> I'm waiting for my DiMarzio EVO2 bridge pickup to come in, can't wait to swap it out **
Last edited by Reiatsu at Jun 22, 2007,
as for pups

passives- want cleans and smooth lead for neck
Dimarzio Paf Joe
Dimarzio Air norton
Evo neck(only if you are a clean/articulate player)

Bridge
tone zone
Super Distortion
Breed
Full shred
Actives:
60/81 combo
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
From what I've heard, the best pickups are Bare Knuckle Pickups, the Nailbomb and Warpig. So maybe take a look at those two, although might be hard to get ahold of those...
Guitarist, Bassist, Drummer, Pianist, and Singer (if you consider Death Metal Growls and Screeches singing!)

My Songs:
Post-Hardcore(ish) Song
Quote by sum_ugly_man
1st of all...you still will need a pedal you know???
Why would I need a pedal??? Also, I aldready have a Digitech RP80 (Multi-Effect) Pedal... Does that make the job???

Quote by Reiatsu
If you have any sort of experience soldering then it shouldn't be that tough.
I have 0 experience and I don't have the tools for it =S

But should I change both the neck and bridge pickups or that's too expensive for nothing???

Also, for active pickups... I have to use a battery??? How often does it have to be changed and is it a special thing or you can find it at any drugstore??? (if it's special, how much does it cost??)

Hmm... in the EMG series, what would you recommend me??? EMG81 ??? for both bridge and neck or..??? (I like the EMG shapes so I guess I'll go with them... I liked the sound samples on their website)
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance

^uses a 9 volt battery. From what i can remeber the rg321 needs no routing for it, battery life last 5000 hours. just unplug the input each time u finish playing

60 and 81 combo are safest bet. 60 has great cleans but awesome lead tone.

and you could just put in one pick up and save up for a better amp. fingers and playing aside an amp is 70-80% of your tone.
emgs suck and dont get duncan they are basically for rock blues. Id get some DiMarzios.
Quote by duncang
They probably think about it just as much, they just don't admit it.

Having sexual thoughts is like farting, we all do it, it's just that girls never let anyone else know about it.
Quote by mexican_shred
^uses a 9 volt battery. From what i can remeber the rg321 needs no routing for it, battery life last 5000 hours. just unplug the input each time u finish playing

60 and 81 combo are safest bet. 60 has great cleans but awesome lead tone.

and you could just put in one pick up and save up for a better amp. fingers and playing aside an amp is 70-80% of your tone.
Well I can't get an amp now... mom almost yells when I put my SS 15W @ 0.5 (off 10) volume

If I get something better, I won't be able to turn it on without it being too loud... It's a future "project" to get a better amp though!

As for the pickups, EMG60 would be for neck or bridge??? Same question about the EMG81!

Quote by Resiliance

Emg-81-85
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
60-neck
81-bridge

and once you scrape up enough money again look at low wattage 5 watters like the JSX mini colosal
Quote by eddiesclone
emgs suck and dont get duncan they are basically for rock blues. Id get some DiMarzios.

DiMarzios suck buddy.
they have like one good pickup.
two maybe
ok three.
their good for like rock or punk
if you looking for a good metal sound.
go for a Dimebucker for your bridge or the SH-6 Distortion.
im not really a neck pickup guy.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
Quote by ugmung
DiMarzios suck buddy.
two maybe
ok three.

dont pay attention to this guy. he's talking out of his ass. The dimebucker happens to be one of the worst muddiest pickups duncan has to offer
Quote by ugmung
DiMarzios suck buddy.
two maybe
ok three.

I couldn't figure out why you were saying this.

Then I looked at your avatar, and it made sense.
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Quote by The Dark Wind
From what I've heard, the best pickups are Bare Knuckle Pickups, the Nailbomb and Warpig. So maybe take a look at those two, although might be hard to get ahold of those...

ive got those pickups and they are indeed great for metal and the NB is actually very versatile so it'll cover a lot of differenty styles. they werent hard to get just a bit pricey in the US. if you want pickups similar to EMGs w.o the active part look into adder plus pickups. the persuaders look nice. www.adderpluspickups.com
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
Quote by zOMGREI
I couldn't figure out why you were saying this.

Then I looked at your avatar, and it made sense.
rofl! Ok I gues I'll go with 60neck/81bridge EMG's

Also, what amp would you recommend me?? I want something a bit loud (Enough for small gigs, band practices, etc.), not too expensive and with a good tone for metal if possible!

And hmm, should I go with a tube amp?? or Solid State?? or even head+cab??? I don't know..??

Thanks!

Quote by Resiliance

Last edited by hurlyz at Jun 23, 2007,
Quote by hurlyz
rofl! Ok I gues I'll go with 60neck/81bridge EMG's

Also, what amp would you recommend me?? I want something a bit loud (Enough for small gigs, band practices, etc.), not too expensive and with a good tone for metal if possible!

And hmm, should I go with a tube amp?? or Solid State?? or even head+cab??? I don't know..??

Thanks!

How much are we willing to spend on an amp here?

Oh, just so you know...before you buy active EMGs...take a 9 volt with one of those little cap connectors and see if it fits inside your control cavity. If it doesn't, you're going to need to get a battery compartment routed in the back of your guitar.
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
^ Not sure.... 500~700ish???

And hmmm, as for pickups, which one is better for neck??? 60 or 60A ??? There are both o_O

And for the bridge, 81 or 85??

Just making sure I'm getting the best out of my cash... as it's long to gather up!

Quote by Resiliance

The Peavey JSX mini Colossal is pretty cool as for tube amps that are low watters. so are the fender champion, and epiphone valve junior, and fender blues jr

ss- Vox valvetronix sereis, and roland cube are worth looking at.

the Cube or Vox if you are on a tight budget

if not the mini colosal
Miracle Man, Painkiller or Warpig calibrated set by Bareknuckle Pickups kills EMGs
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.