Page 3 of 1609
Quote by Argon
Here in Belgium an extreme-right group (Vlaams Belang) had the second most votes in the elections two weeks ago. It's really freaking me out. Time for a good old revolution I say.

you say you want a revolution, well, you know... we all want to change the world.
Needlenick wrote:

Dave Grohl has officially literally done everything.
Quote by Kartman
I agree to an extent, but as an American, you know the Green Party takes up about 1% of the voters, which is sad, because they have some great ideas.

Me, I consider myself a Libertarian.

I'm not sure if the American green party is the same as the Irish and European one.
Maybe it is
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
i think i'll probably be voting for obama for the '08 U.S. election. from what i've read up on him, so far, i haven't found anything i didn't agree with.
Needlenick wrote:

Quote by scarfacesuit
i think i'll probably be voting for obama for the '08 U.S. election. from what i've read up on him, so far, i haven't found anything i didn't agree with.

I think you probably won't, because he probably won't be on the ballot paper. Oh no!

Quote by EL Conquestidor
---------------------
Republicans hate poor people? Someones been drinking at the well of Liberal propaganda. THat you would post such nonsense suggests that you have a poor understanding of political idealology .
Just ask yourself one simple question whenever you incounter this type of statement. Is the person making it trying to make you think, or make you believe?

Someone's been drinking at the well of.... poor.... spelling. Your post suggests a poor understanding of the English language.

ZING

Quote by the_pick_gnome
I'm just saying the libs are pretty effective at pointing at the conservatives and saying "He doesn't care about poor people, he love big business, he is a bigot." , but they seem to love Dr. Paul, even though he is economically libertarian/conservative (which I'm assuming is why they think conservatives hate poor people).

Being libertarian means that you have no opinion on big business. It certainly means that you don't go out of your way to give big businesses a hand from your government, as the Republicans (and Democrats, actually, but that's America for you) are both hellbent on doing at present.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
**** big business.

You can never fucking trust Canada when Canada decides to report on world news that doesn't concern Canada. Canada is only in it for Canada's sake. Canada doesn't even know Batman.

Fuck Canada
Quote by suffer some
I think you probably won't, because he probably won't be on the ballot paper. Oh no!

well i hope he is.

something tells me a "black" president who was raised muslim, and attended an islamic elementary school would do wonders for our foreign policy.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
well i hope he is.

something tells me a "black" president who was raised muslim, and attended an islamic elementary school would do wonders for our foreign policy.

he wasn't raised muslim and never attended islamic elementary schools...
hopefully this will englighten you: http://www.barackobama.com/about/

i am pleased to see someone else agreeing with me though everyone that lives near me in GA is die hard republican and think george bush can do no wrong.
i'm not saying i'm a democrat, but i'm more of a moderate...
Needlenick wrote:

Quote by scarfacesuit
he wasn't raised muslim and never attended islamic elementary schools...
hopefully this will englighten you: http://www.barackobama.com/about/

i am pleased to see someone else agreeing with me though everyone that lives near me in GA is die hard republican and think george bush can do no wrong.
i'm not saying i'm a democrat, but i'm more of a moderate...

on the news though, they went to the school in Indonesia that he attended. it was an Islamic school.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

oh.. well he claims not to be muslim anymore, but that doesn't matter. either way, he's got my vote.
Needlenick wrote:

Quote by garden of grey
He is only not Muslim because you have to be Christian to take part in government pretty much.

I really do think that few politicians are actually Christly.

it really is a shame that an athiest or muslim, or anything besides christian can't become a high profile public figure with out taking heat for it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by garden of grey
He is only not Muslim because you have to be Christian to take part in government pretty much.

I really do think that few politicians are actually Christly.

The more you talk about Jesus, the less you have to act like him.

I really do think it's pitiful how the religious beliefs of a candidate can have so much influence on his public image. I would actually like to see a non-Christian candidate get into office, just because that person would be very disinclined to suck up to the Christian Right.
Quote by Quintessence153
The more you talk about Jesus, the less you have to act like him.

I really do think it's pitiful how the religious beliefs of a candidate can have so much influence on his public image. I would actually like to see a non-Christian candidate get into office, just because that person would be very disinclined to suck up to the Christian Right.

yeah, but some people have become so ingrained with religion in the united states since an early age, that a few of them have tried to argue religion with me, blatantly and utterly lost, then just said that they don't wanna question it. which i can understand but then i see the social christian right trying to stick it's nose into politics and teach creation in science classes, and people aren't going to argue, and sadly enough, probably support it.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

I have a short rant about true separation of church and state. I hate how some people will only vote for people who are Christan. It irritates me to no end how religious propaganda is so deep rooted in our society. I mean why can't people see that you don't have to be a Christan to have morals and values. I also hate it when politicians use religion as there main selling point in there campaign. If you can't bring anything then being religious to the table then I don't want you in office. I know this will never happen, but I would love to see a Jewish, Muslim, Buddhists, Atheist or basically anyone non Christan just to break the trend. I hate that there is nothing I can do about this, but I just had to write it down to get it off my back.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Quote by StreetLight3989
I have a short rant about true separation of church and state. I hate how some people will only vote for people who are Christan. It irritates me to no end how religious propaganda is so deep rooted in our society. I mean why can't people see that you don't have to be a Christan to have morals and values. I also hate it when politicians use religion as there main selling point in there campaign. If you can't bring anything then being religious to the table then I don't want you in office. I know this will never happen, but I would love to see a Jewish, Muslim, Buddhists, Atheist or basically anyone non Christan just to break the trend. I hate that there is nothing I can do about this, but I just had to write it down to get it off my back.

agreed.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by StreetLight3989

there have been unitarian presidents. so, the trend is broken.
#DTWD
Quote by Dave_Mc
o_O

the rest of the world isn't free so internationally it is just die hard 4.0.

#DTWD
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Since the greens got into power in Ireland it's been raining.
I just thought I'd add that.
Don't vote green, they bring rain

(seriously though, do vote green)

it always rains here.

Quote by primusfan
the rest of the world isn't free so internationally it is just die hard 4.0.

Quote by StreetLight3989

agreed wholeheartedly. I love how some christians are willing to vote in total bastards, just because they pay lip-service to their religion.

Quote by gpderek09
yeah, but some people have become so ingrained with religion in the united states since an early age, that a few of them have tried to argue religion with me, blatantly and utterly lost, then just said that they don't wanna question it. which i can understand but then i see the social christian right trying to stick it's nose into politics and teach creation in science classes, and people aren't going to argue, and sadly enough, probably support it.

i agree. you can believe whatever the heck you want, but once you start trying to mix it with politics, or make stuff into laws, then i get angry.

why should you be allowed to force people to believe what you believe?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by scheck006
You can be black without being African.

Whatever. 1/32th of their heritage as black then. Pedant.

Quote by primusfan
there have been unitarian presidents. so, the trend is broken.

Any recently?
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by StreetLight3989

--------------------------------
Again a complete misunderstanding how things work via the Liberal propaganda machine.
People don't vote for religious candidates simply because "he's religious like me!". They vote for people who's views on the issues at hand most closely mirror their own. In the U.S., that historically means that you get a Christian. Likewise you don't see many if any Christians (that I know of) being elected in Muslim countries.
The idea put forth that Bush was elected because he is a Christian is hogwash. 1st. Bush was and is increasingly not that popular amoung U.S. (Christian) conservatives. We disagree w/ALOT of what he does and believes. And the vast majority of the votes cast in his favor were actually more of votes cast AGAINST Gore and Kerry. Who also profess to be of the Christian Faith. And the reason for that is that more Americans disagreed w/their views on the issues than did Bush's. Admittedly many of these issue do hinge on Christians morals. But that doesn't mean we liked Bush, agreed w/everything he does, or that he was elected simply because of his Christian faith.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Jun 25, 2007,
^ i hear what you're saying about the lesser of two evils. nomatter what political affiliation you have, you're always faced with the "do i vote for whom I want, or do i vote tactically so i don't allow someone in who is totally distasteful to me?"...

I seem to remember saddam had a christian in his cabinet?

i have heard of people saying they'd vote for someone because he was a christian, though. maybe that's just an extension of what you're saying about the christian politician's views more closely mirroring their own- you know, if he's a christian, he's bound to be against, say, abortion. that kind of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 25, 2007,
Quote by EL Conquestidor
Again a complete misunderstanding how things work via the Liberal propaganda machine.
People don't vote for religious candidates simply because "he's religious like me!". They vote for people who's views on the issues at hand most closely mirror their own. In the U.S., that historically means that you get a Christian. Likewise you don't see many if any Christians (that I know of) being elected in Muslim countries.
The idea put forth that Bush was elected because he is a Christian is hogwash. 1st. Bush was and is increasingly not that popular amoung U.S. (Christian) conservatives. We disagree w/ALOT of what he does and believes. And the vast majority of the votes cast in his favor were actually more of votes cast AGAINST Gore and Kerry. Who also profess to be of the Christian Faith. And the reason for that is that more Americans disagreed w/their views on the issues than did Bush's. Admittedly many of these issue do hinge on Christians morals. But that doesn't mean we liked Bush, agreed w/everything he does, or that he was elected simply because of his Christian faith.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/newsweek/
http://www.religioustolerance.org/amer_intol.htm

Only half your country would vote for an atheist. I believe only ONE American elected representative is openly an atheist, and he admitted to it just a few months ago.

http://www.secular.org/news/pete_stark_070312.html

God bless the land of the free with the separation of Church and State.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by EL Conquestidor

I donno man, countries like India have had Muslim prime ministers and female prime ministers and they are 85% hindu. Whereas every U.S. president except for Kennedy (catholic) was white, male and protestant. There is a trend.

Edit: Also, Gore's running mate was Jewish, but I'm just speculating.
Quote by Meths
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/newsweek/
http://www.religioustolerance.org/amer_intol.htm

Only half your country would vote for an atheist. I believe only ONE American elected representative is openly an atheist, and he admitted to it just a few months ago.

http://www.secular.org/news/pete_stark_070312.html

God bless the land of the free with the separation of Church and State.

-------------------
American don't vote for Atheist because the majority are not atheist. Again we go back to voting for those who's views mirror your own. You're making a redundant arguement.
And we've been thru the whole "seperation of church & state" thing before. Those words DO NOT appear anywhere in our Constitution. And the passages they are derived from in later legislation has been basardized by the left to take on a meaning not the original intent.
Being an athiest doesn't effect your political goals. Neither should being Christian.

are you kidding me? how do your ethics not affect the way you vote? it's my religious obligation to vote in favor of social justice and in favor of dignifying human life (whether that be against abortion, war, death penalty, etc). you can seperate church and state. that keeps the US from becoming a theocracy, which would be bad for the state and the church and the people. no one wins. seperation of church and state benefits us all. but you can't seperate your morals from your politics. if i believe people are created equal and it's our responsibility to ensure that we care for the poor and the sick as a nation, i'm not going to vote libertarian just because voting otherwise would be "mixing my faith and politics".

I would vote for anybody of just about any personal belief as long as their political beliefs fit what I wanted.

don't you realize someone's personal beliefs are their political beliefs? in politics, everything is pushing your morals on other people. the war in iraq. universal health care. welfare state. banning guns. banning drugs (or legalizing them).
#DTWD
Quote by EL Conquestidor
-------------------
American don't vote for Atheist because the majority are not atheist. Again we go back to voting for those who's views mirror your own. You're making a redundant arguement.
And we've been thru the whole "seperation of church & state" thing before. Those words DO NOT appear anywhere in our Constitution. And the passages they are derived from in later legislation has been basardized by the left to take on a meaning not the original intent.

er, maybe i'm missing something but the exact words, according to wiki, are:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause_of_the_First_Amendment )

i also don't see why you wouldn't vote for an athiest if you weren't an athiest. An athiest could have views which match closely to your own, other than not being religious- and your constitution says that religion should be separate from politics. i'd vote for a christian if their policies closely matched my own preferences.
Quote by garden of grey
Uh..

Being an athiest doesn't effect your political goals. Neither should being Christian.

Look, there is a line between different views on things like war and taxes, and just not liking athiests because you are a prejudice dolt. That survey showed that most Americans wouldn't vote for an athiest that they agreed with.

I would vote for anybody of just about any personal belief as long as their political beliefs fit what I wanted.

And yeah, if you want Christianity in the government, you are an idiot...

It has been proven time and time again that it will only lead to corruption and doesn't help either side.

See; Anything in the past 2000 years.

-----------------------
Well that's a pretty vague argument. What say ye give a few examples of all the havoc caused by Christianity?
Quote by primusfan
are you kidding me? how do your ethics not affect the way you vote? it's my religious obligation to vote in favor of social justice and in favor of dignifying human life (whether that be against abortion, war, death penalty, etc). you can seperate church and state. that keeps the US from becoming a theocracy, which would be bad for the state and the church and the people. no one wins. seperation of church and state benefits us all. but you can't seperate your morals from your politics. if i believe people are created equal and it's our responsibility to ensure that we care for the poor and the sick as a nation, i'm not going to vote libertarian just because voting otherwise would be "mixing my faith and politics".

don't you realize someone's personal beliefs are their political beliefs? in politics, everything is pushing your morals on other people. the war in iraq. universal health care. welfare state. banning guns. banning drugs (or legalizing them).

i know what you're saying, but that assumes that someone who believes in a different god, or indeed no god, has vastly different views to you, which isn't necessarily the case.

In my experience, a heck of a lot of religious people use their religion to back up what they're already predisposed to believe. The bible says to help the poor, and to not refuse to work if you're able... far as i can tell that backs up both the liberal and conservative viewpoints...

you say about dignifying life... george bush would claim to be religious yet has no problem with the death penalty or iraq. many athiests are deeply uncomfortable with both.

etc.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
-----------------------
Well that's a pretty vague argument. What say ye give a few examples of all the havoc caused by Christianity?

spanish inquisition.

edict of nantes.

crusades.

northern ireland situation.

etc.
well i think there's a lot of people who don't know atheists so they've got this kind of ignorant fear of not knowing what they are like. there's already a big mistrust of politicians.

i wouldn't vote for an atheist if you jerks are any indication ...

just playing.

you say about dignifying life... george bush would claim to be religious yet has no problem with the death penalty or iraq. many athiests are deeply uncomfortable with both.

i resent that. when have i ever been a bush fan boy? if the liberals didn't pride themselves on hating white christian males (whom i realize are the people who run the country for the most part, so the left has to hate them by definition) they'd get a lot more votes. in america, around the early 70s, the democrats stopped being the party of the working class and started being the party of minorities and minorities alone. which is sad. i'm not saying i hate minorities, but the democrats are more concerned with feminism and affirmative action than they are the average guy who's job got shipped out to mexico because of NAFTA. but we have to have NAFTA because it's easier on the immigrants who, being a minority, have to be protected by the left.

that said, i'd be more inclined to vote democrat than republican because the latter are, like you said, just giving lip service to religion to get religious people's votes. i remember someone formerly high up in the white house saying that they always make fun of the religious right in private. politicians are like businesses. all a business exists for is money. all a politican exists for is votes. both use any means necessary to get those goals. the honest politicians just tell it like it is and subsequently don't get voted in because they're principled and their views are clear.

democrats loved ron paul. just recently though he was the only voice of dissent against the first major federal gun control legislation passed in congress in ten years (which i mentioned in the last thread but it was ignored). any other politician would try to be ambiguous in order not to lose that vote. ron pual's an honest guy though. he's going to vote the way the constitution says all the time every time. he'd rather run on a clear, consistent platform and get three votes than be dishonest and vague and get three million.

i know what you're saying, but that assumes that someone who believes in a different god, or indeed no god, has vastly different views to you, which isn't necessarily the case.

what i was saying applies to me only. my faith is the only thing that gives me a faith in humanity. for me, if i seperated my morals and politics, i'd support the dog-eat-dog system we have now with no compassion for people. putting profit before people's health, because it's social darwinism. survival of the fittest. it's like dostoyevsky said, "everything is permissable if there is no god." some people might not think that, but i do.

and thank god not all atheists are social darwinists. less than half even i'd venture in saying. i'm not assuming people of different religions believe totally different moral codes, because we don't. but i was saying for me, if i took what i believe to be my social obligations of sacrifice for the betterment of others out of my politics, i'd just be a republican.
#DTWD
Quote by Dave_Mc
er, maybe i'm missing something but the exact words, according to wiki, are:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Establishment_Clause_of_the_First_Amendment )

i also don't see why you wouldn't vote for an athiest if you weren't an athiest. An athiest could have views which match closely to your own, other than not being religious- and your constitution says that religion should be separate from politics. i'd vote for a christian if their policies closely matched my own preferences.

--------------------
You are misinformed. Our Constitution DOES NOT say that. If you think it does, I challenge you to post proof. It should be easy. There are dozens of websites on the Constitution.
Quote by primusfan
well i think there's a lot of people who don't know atheists so they've got this kind of ignorant fear of not knowing what they are like. there's already a big mistrust of politicians.

just playing.

i start on the high school football team. it's texas, that's a big deal, so naturally a vast majority of the people in my town know who i am. a lot of those people know i'm a somewhat outspoken athiest (when confronted). a majority of those people think i'm a heathen. none of these people have ever met me. that sort of mentality is very prominent in the united states, especially in the south. and i think it's a shame that most people think this way.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Dave_Mc
spanish inquisition.

edict of nantes.

crusades.

northern ireland situation.

etc.

--------------------
Please explain how these were all the fault of Christians?
Quote by EL Conquestidor
--------------------

the spanish inquisition was a christian organization that tortured people.

the crusades were ordered by the pope. millions died, including children.

the norther ireland situation deals with catholics vs. protestants.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by gpderek09
i start on the high school football team. it's texas, that's a big deal, so naturally a vast majority of the people in my town know who i am. a lot of those people know i'm a somewhat outspoken athiest (when confronted). a majority of those people think i'm a heathen. none of these people have ever met me. that sort of mentality is very prominent in the united states, especially in the south. and i think it's a shame that most people think this way.

------------------
Congrats on being a Texas (HS I assue) football starter. To anyone not from Texas, let me assure you it IS a big deal. HS football is almost a religion in Texas. I played at Katy HS (near Houston) in my HS years. I tackled Eric Dickerson many times when he played for rival Sealy (Tx) HS.
Most people tend to equate Atheist w/Satan Worship and the occult. In some cases they are correct. And in others they are wrong. It's the bad apples that spoil it for everyone.
I might also ask. Why do feel the need to bring such attention to yourself by broadcasting your non-religious beliefs. Wouldn't it be easiers to be a quiet atheist? You know it's the gays that march in the streets weaing chaps w/their asses hanging out that cause most of the backlash against homesexuals. They court negitive attention and then cry over it. Doesn't make much sense does it?
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Jun 25, 2007,
Quote by gpderek09
the spanish inquisition was a christian organization that tortured people.

the crusades were ordered by the pope. millions died, including children.

the norther ireland situation deals with catholics vs. protestants.

-------------------
But why? (in each instance).
Am I to believe that Christians just running around killing people for reason? I assume you know since you brought it up.
Quote by primusfan
(a) well i think there's a lot of people who don't know atheists so they've got this kind of ignorant fear of not knowing what they are like. there's already a big mistrust of politicians.

just playing.

(b) i resent that. when have i ever been a bush fan boy? if the liberals didn't pride themselves on hating white christian males (whom i realize are the people who run the country for the most part, so the left has to hate them by definition) they'd get a lot more votes. in america, around the early 70s, the democrats stopped being the party of the working class and started being the party of minorities and minorities alone. which is sad. i'm not saying i hate minorities, but the democrats are more concerned with feminism and affirmative action than they are the average guy who's job got shipped out to mexico because of NAFTA. but we have to have NAFTA because it's easier on the immigrants who, being a minority, have to be protected by the left.

(c) that said, i'd be more inclined to vote democrat than republican because the latter are, like you said, just giving lip service to religion to get religious people's votes. i remember someone formerly high up in the white house saying that they always make fun of the religious right in private. politicians are like businesses. all a business exists for is money. all a politican exists for is votes. both use any means necessary to get those goals. the honest politicians just tell it like it is and subsequently don't get voted in because they're principled and their views are clear.

(d) democrats loved ron paul. just recently though he was the only voice of dissent against the first major federal gun control legislation passed in congress in ten years (which i mentioned in the last thread but it was ignored). any other politician would try to be ambiguous in order not to lose that vote. ron pual's an honest guy though. he's going to vote the way the constitution says all the time every time. he'd rather run on a clear, consistent platform and get three votes than be dishonest and vague and get three million.

(a)

(b) i never said you did support bush. I meant that someone claiming to be christian having completely different viewpoints from someone else claiming to be christian (i.e. you) pretty much meant the "if they're christian they'll think the same as me" mentality was dead in the water. Sorry if it was ambiguous.

i'm also struggling to see how women are a minority here.

(c) yeah, pretty much what i was saying.

(d) hah, he's going to be voted out so quick it's not even funny.

Quote by EL Conquestidor
--------------------

well, the spanish inquisition and the st. bartholomew's day massacre (sorry, i got that mixed up with the edict of nantes, lol, the edict of nantes was a good thing! ) were basically instigated in the name of the church. or in the name of the monarch who was supported by the church. Ditto crusades.

Northern ireland, while not officially in the name of the church, is pretty much divided along religious lines. and most of the churches haven't done enough to prevent, or even been complicit in, many of the crimes.

Quote by EL Conquestidor
------------------
Most people tend to equate Atheist w/Satan Worship and the occult. In some cases they are correct. And in others they are wrong. It's the bad apples that spoil it for everyone.

yeah, that's just dopey. i mean, if you don't believe in god, you most likely don't believe in a devil either.

i doubt any athiest would believe in that and be a true athiest, the whole point of being an atheist is that you don't believe, surely?
Quote by EL Conquestidor
-------------------

No, they didn't say "I wouldn't vote for an atheist because they probably won't have the same views" they said "I wouldn't vote for an atheist".

Quote by El Conq

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion."

What do you think it means?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Tripoli#Article_11

"As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquillity, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Because if you were in any doubt, that should clarify matters.

Oscar Wilde