Page 4 of 1609
Quote by EL Conquestidor
-------------------
But why? (in each instance).
Am I to believe that Christians just running around killing people for reason? I assume you know since you brought it up.

well, in france up to 100,000 huguenots were massacred solely for not being roman catholic.

spanish inquisition was to root out heretics, i believe.

check up on malleus maleficarum too, the wytchfynder, etc.

i mean, they were basically killing people left right and centre.

not to mention suppressing scientific research (galileo, copernicus) etc.

i don't see how you can argue with the facts? I mean, sure, maybe they were misguided or something, not "truly" following christianity, but to argue they weren't doing it in its name, or weren't doing it at all?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
you know what i mean by minority. i mean ... ****, the rich are a minority in the US but i was going for minority as a synonym of people being oppressed by the WASP elite. even if that's not what the democrats are going for, that's how it is perceived by the white working class. a lot of them have switched to the republicans since reagan.
#DTWD
Quote by EL Conquestidor
--------------------
You are misinformed. Our Constitution DOES NOT say that. If you think it does, I challenge you to post proof. It should be easy. There are dozens of websites on the Constitution.

every website i have gone to says that i had the first part of the first amendment correct.

where is your source that says that what i posted was incorrect?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by Dave_Mc
(a)

(b) i never said you did support bush. I meant that someone claiming to be christian having completely different viewpoints from someone else claiming to be christian (i.e. you) pretty much meant the "if they're christian they'll think the same as me" mentality was dead in the water. Sorry if it was ambiguous.

i'm also struggling to see how women are a minority here.

(c) yeah, pretty much what i was saying.

(d) hah, he's going to be voted out so quick it's not even funny.

well, the spanish inquisition and the st. bartholomew's day massacre (sorry, i got that mixed up with the edict of nantes, lol, the edict of nantes was a good thing! ) were basically instigated in the name of the church. or in the name of the monarch who was supported by the church. Ditto crusades.

Northern ireland, while not officially in the name of the church, is pretty much divided along religious lines. and most of the churches haven't done enough to prevent, or even been complicit in, many of the crimes.

yeah, that's just dopey. i mean, if you don't believe in god, you most likely don't believe in a devil either.

i doubt any athiest would believe in that and be a true athiest, the whole point of being an atheist is that you don't believe, surely?

---------------------
Wasn't the intent of the Crusades to recapture by force, lands that had been taken by force (by the Muslims)? Sure it was a nasty affair. But don't you think that the Christians might have had a right to try to reclaim what had been stolen from them?
One could say that the Palestinians are waging a modern day Crusade. Why would you favor their effort over what the Christians did? Bias?
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
---------------------
Wasn't the intent of the Crusades to recapture by force, lands that had been taken by force (by the Muslims)?

No, as far as I can remember Jerusalem had belonged to the muslims for centuries.

Quote by El Conq
Sure it was a nasty affair. But don't you think that the Christians might have had a right to try to reclaim what had been stolen from them?
One could say that the Palestinians are waging a modern day Crusade. Why would you favor their effort over what the Christians did? Bias?

Except the theft of Palestinian land happened recently, not 600 years prior to the war.
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Dave_Mc
every website i have gone to says that i had the first part of the first amendment correct.

where is your source that says that what i posted was incorrect?

-------------
You're lying. The word "Seperation of Church and State" do not even appear in our Constitution.
The Constitution does say that the Govt. will not mandate any official religion and that there will be religious freedom in the land.
The phrase "Seperation of Church and State" was 1st referenced in a letter by Thomas Jefferson many years AFTER the Constitution. Better do your homework son.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
-------------
You're lying. The word "Seperation of Church and State" do not even appear in our Constitution.
The Constitution does say that the Govt. will not mandate any official religion and that there will be religious freedom in the land.
The phrase "Seperation of Church and State" was 1st referenced in a letter by Thomas Jefferson many years AFTER the Constitution. Better do your homework son.

The actual phrase "separation of Church and State" does not appear in the constitution. Well done. You do realise it is possible to say that without using those exact words? For example "you shall not murder people" and "you are not allowed to unjustly take life" mean the same thing despite being phrased slightly differently.

And he's not lying, you misread his post and responded in misleading way.

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
No, as far as I can remember Jerusalem had belonged to the muslims for centuries.

Except the theft of Palestinian land happened recently, not 600 years prior to the war.

---------------
I see. So if I came to your home, kicked you in the face and stole your guitar, how many years before it became rightfully mine and you had no claim to it?
Quote by EL Conquestidor
---------------
I see. So if I came to your home, kicked you in the face and stole your guitar, how many years before it became rightfully mine and you had no claim to it?

Once we were both dead and it had since been inherited? Also it doesn't help if the crime takes place before the laws are in place.

You people don't seem to grasp this. If the original owners and takers are long since dead, you have to let it go. If the theft occurred waaaaaaaaay before our laws came into place, you can't do anything about it.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by Meths
Once we were both dead and it had since been inherited? Also it doesn't help if the crime takes place before the laws are in place.

You people don't seem to grasp this. If the original owners and takers are long since dead, you have to let it go. If the theft occurred waaaaaaaaay before our laws came into place, you can't do anything about it.

--------------------------
Well Israel was GIVEN to the Jews by UN law. Hence they didn't exactly steal it. And it won't be too long before all the people involved will be dead (of old age). Can we expect an end to the conflict then?
Back to the Constitution. Don't you find it interesting that for about 200 years everyone knew what the Constitution mean't in it's reference to no state mandated religion. But only recently this new bastardized interpetation came about?
I wonder who is closer to being correct? The interpetation that has been hostorically understood for generations, or this new one? Surely you don't suppose the nations founders neglected to explain their meanings and allowed a faulty understanding to go unchecked?
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Jun 25, 2007,
Quote by EL Conquestidor
--------------------------
Well Israel was GIVEN to the Jews by UN law. Hence they didn't exactly steal it. And it won't be too long before all the people involved will be dead (of old age). Can we expect an end to the conflict then?
Back to the Constitution. Don't you find it interesting that for about 200 years everyone knew what the Constitution mean't in it's reference to no state mandated religion. But only recently this new bastardized interpetation came about?

It was never a bastardised interpretation. Including religious features into the state is biased towards whatever religion it is.

Quote by El Conq
I wonder who is closer to being correct? The interpetation that has been hostorically understood for generations, or this new one? Surely you don't suppose the nations founders neglected to explain their meanings and allowed a faulty understanding to go unchecked?

The nation's founders were explicit when they said that the USA was not a christian country and that church and state were separate.

Oscar Wilde
Quote by primusfan
you know what i mean by minority. i mean ... ****, the rich are a minority in the US but i was going for minority as a synonym of people being oppressed by the WASP elite. even if that's not what the democrats are going for, that's how it is perceived by the white working class. a lot of them have switched to the republicans since reagan.

hah, it just seemed strange that you'd pick out feminism as a minority effort.

Quote by EL Conquestidor
---------------------
Wasn't the intent of the Crusades to recapture by force, lands that had been taken by force (by the Muslims)? Sure it was a nasty affair. But don't you think that the Christians might have had a right to try to reclaim what had been stolen from them?

i never said i favoured the palestinians.

you could probably argue that the holy land was stolen from someone else (the philestines/palestinians) prior to that too.

If you can be bothered going back far enough.

Quote by EL Conquestidor
-------------

that's a rather strong accusation. And i never said the first amendment used the specific words "separation of church and state".

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment01/

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am1

http://www.senate.gov/civics/constitution_item/constitution.htm#amdt_1_(1791)

http://usinfo.state.gov/usa/infousa/facts/funddocs/billeng.htm

and i don't appreciate being called a liar. Especially when you're the one who misquotes me and takes what I've said out of context. Where's your proof that the first amendment doesn't say what I said it did?

Quote by Meths
The actual phrase "separation of Church and State" does not appear in the constitution. Well done. You do realise it is possible to say that without using those exact words? For example "you shall not murder people" and "you are not allowed to unjustly take life" mean the same thing despite being phrased slightly differently.

And he's not lying, you misread his post and responded in misleading way.

+1, i never said the constitution said "separation of church and state". I did post accurately what it did say, in the first amendment, which anyone who is even remotely fluent in english would acknowledge means that the state should play no part in religion.

Quote by EL Conquestidor
---------------

isn't there a statute of limitations?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statute_of_limitations

also, you're skating on thin ice, as an american, if you're going to suggest those who owned the land of any country previously have any claim to it.
^
But Indians follow false gods, so it's okay to steal land from them.

Plus, we gave them reservations. That makes up for it 100%, don't ya think?!?!??

::
^
No it doesn't. That's like me stealing your house and leaving you a few square feet. It was their land, not ours.

I still love living here though
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Meh, I didn't read but the last post. Didn't realize he was being sarcastic. Sorry 'bout that

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Regarding gun control, why don't they just control bullets? I mean, you know, only give someone like 3 or 4 bullets depending on what they need them for. Kind of like a "prescription". And to get more bullets, you have to bring back the shells. I realize this is probably flawed, but less bullets = less accidents.
They should ban everything except handguns and hunting rifles. I doubt anyones going to need an AK-47 or an H&K G3.
What do you all think about Hillary ? what i mean is do you think she is suited to be a president? it seemed like when bill was in office wherever he was she was there also and whenever he was giving a speech hillary thought i would be good to jump in the middle and voice her opinions or input her thoughts, seems to me she just wants power, or attention
Quote by Metal claw
I only ever do it whenever I get a new toothbrush. I just stuck the old one up my ass then threw it away when I was done.

98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.
Quote by High_Frequency
What do you all think about Hillary ? what i mean is do you think she is suited to be a president? it seemed like when bill was in office wherever he was she was there also and whenever he was giving a speech hillary thought i would be good to jump in the middle and voice her opinions or input her thoughts, seems to me she just wants power, or attention

she's experienced, but i think we need someone brand new for Prez.

I don't like Hilary Clinton. At all. I don't know what it is, but I see her as being terribly evil, and not just because she's a woman. I think I always draw conclusions between her and the president from Prison Break. Anyways, Bros before Hoes, Barack Obama gets my support.
Quote by EL Conquestidor
------------------
Congrats on being a Texas (HS I assue) football starter. To anyone not from Texas, let me assure you it IS a big deal. HS football is almost a religion in Texas. I played at Katy HS (near Houston) in my HS years. I tackled Eric Dickerson many times when he played for rival Sealy (Tx) HS.
Most people tend to equate Atheist w/Satan Worship and the occult. In some cases they are correct. And in others they are wrong. It's the bad apples that spoil it for everyone.
I might also ask. Why do feel the need to bring such attention to yourself by broadcasting your non-religious beliefs. Wouldn't it be easiers to be a quiet atheist? You know it's the gays that march in the streets weaing chaps w/their asses hanging out that cause most of the backlash against homesexuals. They court negitive attention and then cry over it. Doesn't make much sense does it?

yeah, HS.

i don't try to bring attention to myself really. but everyone down here is very outspoken about being christian, and often confront me with bible talk. and occasionaly i'll respond, and i fully believe in being honest. i shouldn't have to lie about what i believe or don't believe. if you ask me you get my honest opinion, and because i've been raised a texas athlete, sugar coating doesn't appeal to me either.

and from these small "confrontations," news travels fast in small town texas, especially about the football players, it just grows.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by beadhangingOne
Regarding gun control, why don't they just control bullets? I mean, you know, only give someone like 3 or 4 bullets depending on what they need them for. Kind of like a "prescription". And to get more bullets, you have to bring back the shells. I realize this is probably flawed, but less bullets = less accidents.

It's 100x easier to make a bullet than it is a gun.
Check out my latest recording on my profile
Quote by beadhangingOne

I don't see how gun control could work. You can't control something like that. Just because it's against the law doesn't mean that everyone will respect it. A lot of people have guns illegaly now anyway.

The way I see it is that when alchohol was outlawed, people still managed to get it. With drugs, people still do manage to get them and make them in this country. Guns won't be any different, IMO. Then the people who are getting them illegaly will have them and the people who have them for self protection won't be empty handed. As long as there's a market for something, it will be sold, and no amount of government can stop it.

I think that gun culture is to deeply entrenched in the US so gun control wouldn't be that effective. But the strict gun control here in Australia is really good and I hope they make it even harder to get a gun.

And could all of you in the US please vote for Ron Paul. I don't agree with him on issues such as gun control and abortion but he seems like the least fake politician Ive ever seen, which is just what the world needs.
I broke my wookie

RIP Syd
Quote by Page&HammettFan
I don't see how gun control could work. You can't control something like that. Just because it's against the law doesn't mean that everyone will respect it. A lot of people have guns illegaly now anyway.

The way I see it is that when alchohol was outlawed, people still managed to get it. With drugs, people still do manage to get them and make them in this country. Guns won't be any different, IMO. Then the people who are getting them illegaly will have them and the people who have them for self protection won't be empty handed. As long as there's a market for something, it will be sold, and no amount of government can stop it.

I guess so, the majority of people are honest though. It might help, might not.
I don't understand why you guys need guns for protection anyway? It kinda seems counterintuitive, improved quality of life, better median incomes and reduced segregation seems like it would stop you guys from killing eachother. Not guns.
Quote by farcry
I don't understand why you guys need guns for protection anyway? It kinda seems counterintuitive, improved quality of life, better median incomes and reduced segregation seems like it would stop you guys from killing eachother. Not guns.

we have a right to bear arms.. that's about it. do you think anyone in this country has a real sense of trust? millions of people live in constant fear. the media, our families, our goddamn lives are centered around infrequently occurring violence. people, even if they don't know it, live in a state of fear.

it's isn't necessarily for protection, as it is for a sense of protection.

nevertheless, if guns are outlawed, the black market for them will just surge. we don't take those sorts of bans seriously. after all, "this is America! we gots rights!"

what we need more of is safety education. gun safety, sex safety, drug safety. people aren't going to stop these behaviors. we need to educate them on how to be safer about IV drug usage, prostitution, handling weapons.
Quote by MakinLattes
we have a right to bear arms.. that's about it. do you think anyone in this country has a real sense of trust? millions of people live in constant fear. the media, our families, our goddamn lives are centered around infrequently occurring violence. people, even if they don't know it, live in a state of fear.

it's isn't necessarily for protection, as it is for a sense of protection.

nevertheless, if guns are outlawed, the black market for them will just surge. we don't take those sorts of bans seriously. after all, "this is America! we gots rights!"

what we need more of is safety education. gun safety, sex safety, drug safety. people aren't going to stop these behaviors. we need to educate them on how to be safer about IV drug usage, prostitution, handling weapons.

So do you think that drugs and prostitution should be legal?

edit: Where's archeo avis? Normally he would have made 10 posts here after gun control came up. I thought he had some sort of alert set up so he could come to the rescue anytime somebody mentioned "gun control". Maybe he hasn't set it up to work with the new thread yet.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Last edited by suffer some at Jun 26, 2007,
Quote by MakinLattes

I don't think education is the key. I think the values of our society are fundamentally flawed, and that's something that can't be erased through education. We don't have around 15,000 gun related deaths per year because of lack of education, per se; with the exception of accidental deaths (i.e., those that weren't a result of intentional homicide or during the commission of a crime), gun deaths are a product of a society that doesn't value the slightest bit of collectivist thinking. Americans, generally, don't give a shit about one another. And then they rationalize their apathy. Add apathy to a culture where there's intergenerational poverty along with a widening gap between the haves and the have-nots, then you're talking about a society which is a breeding ground for crime.

As far as drugs and sex go, I think we need honest education, not education slanted towards the puritanical crowd. Telling kids "just say no" doesn't work, and then they don't have the proper tools to make good decisions when they finally buck the system and try recreational drugs or have sex. Abstinence-only education leads to more pregnancies. DARE, while somewhat good-intentioned, doesn't do very much. It's the reason idiot college kids go absolutely buck wild when they get out of high school - they're taught drinking is a forbidden thing and never conditioned to do it in moderation, so once they can do it without parental interference, they go absolutely insane. That's rooted in the drinking age; that's rooted in our "it's bad so don't do it" mentality; that's rooted in our social inability to deal with anything except in a knee jerk reactionary way.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Jun 26, 2007,
Meths, I agree with you on the topics of the USA's constitution and the Palestinian problem.
Quote by Dirk Gently
I don't think education is the key. I think the values of our society are fundamentally flawed, and that's something that can't be erased through education. We don't have around 15,000 gun related deaths per year because of lack of education, per se; with the exception of accidental deaths (i.e., those that weren't a result of intentional homicide or during the commission of a crime), gun deaths are a product of a society that doesn't value the slightest bit of collectivist thinking. Americans, generally, don't give a shit about one another. And then they rationalize their apathy. Add apathy to a culture where there's intergenerational poverty along with a widening gap between the haves and the have-nots, then you're talking about a society which is a breeding ground for crime.

As far as drugs and sex go, I think we need honest education, not education slanted towards the puritanical crowd. Telling kids "just say no" doesn't work, and then they don't have the proper tools to make good decisions when they finally buck the system and try recreational drugs or have sex. Abstinence-only education leads to more pregnancies. DARE, while somewhat good-intentioned, doesn't do very much. It's the reason idiot college kids go absolutely buck wild when they get out of high school - they're taught drinking is a forbidden thing and never conditioned to do it in moderation, so once they can do it without parental interference, they go absolutely insane. That's rooted in the drinking age; that's rooted in our "it's bad so don't do it" mentality; that's rooted in our social inability to deal with anything except in a knee jerk reactionary way.

i hate this molly cuddling of society. trying to remove anything that could harm people in any way. next thing you know we'll have plastic silverware ( ).

but agreed.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

Quote by Dirk Gently

Excellent post.
Quote by GlamSpam

I developed a thought experiment to explain why you can't remember anything before you were born:
Quote by Dirk Gently

not only gun education, thought I'm sure I made it sound like that. social classes aren't based on where someone grew up any more. at one point in California, less than half of incoming freshman would graduate high school. I know no one from my neighborhood did. even I dropped out. we do need to spend more money on education, both in the education system and for various safety programs.

Quote by suffer some
So do you think that drugs and prostitution should be legal?

on the one hand, no, because both would be taxed to some extent. but, on the other hand, yes, I do. I think it would cut back on underage prostitution and drug usage, lower overdoses, and put in place health standards.
Quote by gign
I don't like Hilary Clinton. At all. I don't know what it is, but I see her as being terribly evil, and not just because she's a woman. I think I always draw conclusions between her and the president from Prison Break. Anyways, Bros before Hoes, Barack Obama gets my support.

o_O

Quote by gpderek09
yeah, HS.

i don't try to bring attention to myself really. but everyone down here is very outspoken about being christian, and often confront me with bible talk. and occasionaly i'll respond, and i fully believe in being honest. i shouldn't have to lie about what i believe or don't believe. if you ask me you get my honest opinion, and because i've been raised a texas athlete, sugar coating doesn't appeal to me either.

and from these small "confrontations," news travels fast in small town texas, especially about the football players, it just grows.

I agree. it's a bit like that here too. Athiests have to almost apologise for their stance, for some reason.

Quote by Dirk Gently

yeah, it's the same here (not so much with the gun deaths, but the drinking). Alcohol is apparently evil till you're 18, so everyone under 18 tries to drink as much as possible. Even up to about 25 or so, getting plastered is almost expected. When i say I don't drink, or don't drink much, people look at you like you're somehow less fun, they almost feel the need to say "I'm sorry for your loss"... which is retarded.

I dunno, i always worked on the principle that if i had to be paralytic to enjoy myself, the thing i was doing or the place i was going wasn't very much fun in the first place.
Quote by Dave_Mc
o_O

I agree. it's a bit like that here too. Athiests have to almost apologise for their stance, for some reason.

yeah, it's the same here (not so much with the gun deaths, but the drinking). Alcohol is apparently evil till you're 18, so everyone under 18 tries to drink as much as possible. Even up to about 25 or so, getting plastered is almost expected. When i say I don't drink, or don't drink much, people look at you like you're somehow less fun, they almost feel the need to say "I'm sorry for your loss"... which is retarded.

I dunno, i always worked on the principle that if i had to be paralytic to enjoy myself, the thing i was doing or the place i was going wasn't very much fun in the first place.

i only felt the need to apologize a bit to my parents about it. everyone else can piss off.

and yeah i know what you mean about the not drinking. i'm the DD for all my friends, and they're always trying to get me to drink and stuff and think i'm crazy when i don't want to.

i don't really care much it's just that
A. i'm driving
B. alcohol tastes bad
and C. being the DD, i see and take care of everyone else drunk, and i don't want to be that pathetic.

and yeah, same philosophy with me, you shouldn't have to be intoxicated to enjoy yourself.
Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565

^ yeah, i always ended up being the DD on the odd occasion i went out. I didn't go out much, listening to tools talk rubbish drugged up on alcohol isn't exactly my idea of a good time.

EDIT: i also found it ironic that those who could only have fun when drunk felt sorry for ME.

Quote by Dave_Mc
^ yeah, i always ended up being the DD on the odd occasion i went out. I didn't go out much, listening to tools talk rubbish drugged up on alcohol isn't exactly my idea of a good time.

EDIT: i also found it ironic that those who could only have fun when drunk felt sorry for ME.

Quote by ClassicAxe

Quote by jj1565