Page 1 of 825
This thread is for discussing all matters relating to religion (and thusly all areas specifically theological and generally religious) and all things philosophical (excluding political philosophy, obviously.)

Though there will be overlap, generally it should be obvious when a piece of philosophical discussion should be in the politics thread.

No flaming and no pointless disrespect. I'm actually in this thread quite a lot so you will getcalled out on it, unlike in the past.

Coming in and simply posting, 'god doesn't exist' (or vice versa) is spam and will be treated as such. Give your posts substance, or do not post them. Simple as that.

If folk are being twats in this and you're reporting them but nothing much is being done, it's because no one cares about this thread so maybe send me a PM. Though that's unlikely.

Have LOTS of fun...

-Stuart
#DTWD
ever read the tao of pooh? taoism is so awesome. religion overall I think is ancient stuff and unecessary in modern life.
I also hate how a lot of wars are from people hating other peoples religion. Everyone wants to think that they are more right than everyone and it gives them a feeling of superiority because they think that they will go to heaven of whatever and other people wont because they dont have the same beliefs.
Last word is the whole heaven and hell thing, I don't really get it, I don't think you go anywhere when you die. It's just nothing, no more.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~

"Idiot"
agnostic will last longest not atheism atheism cant last longest because if there are no other religions there cant be atheism.
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~

"Idiot"
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd
ever read the tao of pooh? taoism is so awesome. religion overall I think is ancient stuff and unecessary in modern life.

While I haven't read this book my Grandad (who's a psychologist) has and said it was brilliant. I will give it a read. I agree, in this day and age religion seems unnecessary in the developed countries. I think however, that if you live in somewhere like Africa, where people are starving and dying you've got to have something to hpe for, to keep you going on.
I also hate how a lot of wars are from people hating other peoples religion. Everyone wants to think that they are more right than everyone and it gives them a feeling of superiority because they think that they will go to heaven of whatever and other people wont because they dont have the same beliefs.
Last word is the whole heaven and hell thing, I don't really get it, I don't think you go anywhere when you die. It's just nothing, no more.

Yeah I agree, like those people from the really homophobic church in America, with about 30 members, (sorry I can't remember the name. It's West... somthing). I think it's not a nice thought, but I believe we go nowhere when we die. But I think it's quite comforting to think, that when we're buried we'll rot down and become a part of the earth. And the bed for other life later on. That is more comforting than floating among the clouds until the apocalypse.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Are half of those kind of cast-offs of churches and stuff real Christian sects though? Like the extreme ones, or are they just a few people who decided to make their own 'cult' as it were.

P.S. It's a hard choice but . . . ORANGES!

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
Quote by Froddy
Are half of those kind of cast-offs of churches and stuff real Christian sects though? Like the extreme ones, or are they just a few people who decided to make their own 'cult' as it were.

P.S. It's a hard choice but . . . ORANGES!

I think they're just perverting thw words of the bible, they're really a cult. Especially as you have to give about 50% of your salary to them to join, then 20% a month to stay with them.
I believe in a creator, something must have made the universe.
I don't belive in heaven or hell. I think hell was created as an idea in the past as a way to scare people into going to church. And i think heaven is just false hope because no one could really like the idea of nothing after death.
If God is real then what's to say he isnt who he says he is. Maybe heaven is just a way to slave for God for all eternity.
I would like to believe in something, but i need more proof than just relying on faith. I would like there to be a heaven and for me to go there...
I Think EVOLOUTION Is A Lie
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
Quote by beetroot10
what religion will last the longest?

Edit: and do you really think thier is a heaven

Atheism will last longest of course, although I don't agree with it.
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd

I also hate how a lot of wars are from people hating other peoples religion.

I agree with this except I see religious wars as groups of people fighting over who has the better imaginary friend.

Oh and I think all religion will end together when Religion leads to a nuclear holocaust on a worldwide scale.
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd
agnostic will last longest not atheism atheism cant last longest because if there are no other religions there cant be atheism.

aggreed.

what happened to the old religion thread? did it get waxed? I dont know... but what i dont understand is with all these different religions, how can one be so sure they have found the right one? and i beleive that alot people(especially christians) were "forced" into their religions withoutt experiencing any others. so how can someone, who in fact has NEVER experienced any other religion say that they found the right one?
www.myspace.com/chrishausman

If you would like to add me, send me a message to let me know your from UG!

Tool - July 16
Incubus - Aug 6

^INCREDIBLE^
buddhism is the way forward.

conform.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by meh!
I Think EVOLOUTION Is A Lie

I think you are a lie.

come on man don't mess with the new thread
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Um...
Would you still believe in god, if your life was bad?
and you knew that there's no chance in the world that they would get better?
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Quote by rabidguitarist
buddhism is the way forward.

conform.

actually looking into that, and seems like the best for me right now. not sure yet though, still have to do some research

Tool - July 16
Incubus - Aug 6

^INCREDIBLE^
Yes first page.

So what happened to the other thread? Was it closed because it was too big or something?

And Im going to have to go with oranges.
I'll be your number one with a bullet.
Quote by FriggenCarl
actually looking into that, and seems like the best for me right now. not sure yet though, still have to do some research

Theres not actually that much to research. Its not like other religions, where you have holy books, scriptures, psalms etc.

its just the noble truths & eightfold. but then theres a ridiculous amount of different sects.

Im not a particularly strong, or orthadox buddhist, but I try to lead a good life, and I meditate (allthough not as much as I probably should).
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by faqu
Um...

Yes. I believe in god, but I believe Im still 100% responsible for where Im at in life.

I like most of the basic ideas behind Buddhism. But I don't think following the 'middle path' is the best way to have a fulfilling life.
I broke my wookie

RIP Syd
Quote by DogWithoutABone
Yes. I believe in god, but I believe Im still 100% responsible for where Im at in life.

I like most of the basic ideas behind Buddhism. But I don't think following the 'middle path' is the best way to have a fulfilling life.

not too familiar with buddhism just yet, what is the middle path?

Tool - July 16
Incubus - Aug 6

^INCREDIBLE^
It basically means you live alife without any extremes. Sounds really boring to me, I think this life exists to be enjoyed.
I broke my wookie

RIP Syd
The title of this sticky is going to drive me insane for the next few months. I can't stand thread titles without correct capitalisation.

Curse you, Primusfan.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd
the tao of pooh

For once, an honest religion.

Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
Quote by DogWithoutABone

That's not what I asked though.

and you know, a lot of times stuff happen that you cant do anything about it.
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
Quote by faqu
Um...

Religion is about becoming a better person, not asking God for a good life. That's called being "selfish."
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
How far do people who believe in God feel the concep of free will runs? Surely God gave man free will but then He created mankind to have freewill to favour certain decisions.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by rabidguitarist
Theres not actually that much to research. Its not like other religions, where you have holy books, scriptures, psalms etc.

its just the noble truths & eightfold. but then theres a ridiculous amount of different sects.

Im not a particularly strong, or orthadox buddhist, but I try to lead a good life, and I meditate (allthough not as much as I probably should).

Yeah if I was to be religious, Buddhism would be the one. Especially how it says gods may, or may not exist, but even so it doesn't matter. That fact alone kicks all the other religions' logics and primitive ideas.
Quote by Cal UK
Yeah if I was to be religious, Buddhism would be the one. Especially how it says gods may, or may not exist, but even so it doesn't matter. That fact alone kicks all the other religions' logics and primitive ideas.

If it says God may or may not exist then it's not a religion, it's agnosticism with meditation and fat Asian guys thrown in.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, your eyes will get sore after a while."
Quote by JamesDouglas
If it says God may or may not exist then it's not a religion, it's agnosticism with meditation and fat Asian guys thrown in.

but its still a belief. surely thats what religion is?
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Buddhism has no God, it is a way of leading your life through meditation and other principles to reach Nirvana.

Belief=/=religion

belief system=religion

I believe that the death penalty is wrong but that doesn't make it a religion.

Anyway when does a cult become a religion and vice versa? Is it just a matter of if you believe in it t's a religion and if you don't and it doesn't have many followers it is a cult?
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Jun 23, 2007,
Quote by ylwmattrcustrd

Do you even know what the definition of atheist means?

And no, if there were no religions, all you agnostics would be atheists.

Quote by sinan90

Anyway when does a cult become a religion and vice versa? Is it just a matter of if you believe in it t's a religion and if you don't and it doesn't have many followers it is a cult?

I see no difference

For authoritative British usage, the Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English definitions of "cult" and "sect" are:

cult[2]
1 a system of religious worship directed towards a particular figure or object.
2 a small religious group regarded as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.
3 something popular or fashionable among a particular section of society.
sect[3]
1 a group of people with different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.
2 a group with extreme or dangerous philosophical or political ideas.

Cult = Religion
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?

Last edited by preludetowar at Jun 23, 2007,
Damn religion thread n00bs...I'm not discussing the same topics over again. Look at the last 1000 page religion thread.

Quote by preludetowar
Cult = Religion

No...you're just wrong. Do some more research.
Ohh new Religion Thread!
(It's not like I posted in the other one, but maybe I'll give this one a shot)
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
I think religion will be the cause of the next World War.

The Middle Eastern countries have their religions that speak of killing infidels and being rewarded; with us being the infidels killed.

So we retaliate, mock their religion, kill them back, and that right there is enough to cause a world war.
Quote by Bodom_Shredder7
i hate you mer der. i hope you get a boner and accidently fall on it.

Quote by rocknrollstar
Excuse my stupidity , but what is a urethra ?

Im guessing anus.
Yeah, many hundreds of pages of the same arguments was getting a little old.

But I'm sure we won't hesitate to launch ourselves in them all again!
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by JamesDouglas

No...you're just wrong. Do some more research.

Good Come back James.

For authoritative British usage, the Compact Oxford English Dictionary of Current English definitions of "cult" and "sect" are:

cult[2]
1 a system of religious worship directed towards a particular figure or object.
That doesn't sound like Christianity at all!

2 a small religious group regarded as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.
3 something popular or fashionable among a particular section of society.
sect[3]
1 a group of people with different religious beliefs (typically regarded as heretical) from those of a larger group to which they belong.
2 a group with extreme or dangerous philosophical or political ideas.

yeah....
Quote by Meths

Obviously I'm biased towards the correct point of view. What kind of retard isn't?