Is this a good guitar? From a good look at it I can see it's like a strat/tele/humbuckerwhichisgood guitar but I read it does a cheap job of imitating both. I'm not expecting anything amazing from Squier but will this be any good? Or should I just go with a regular ol strat?
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I reckon the 51's are going to be quite sought after in years to come - it's the only Squier that isn't a cheapy model of something better but also it's a very well put together and thought out guitar considering the price. Doesn't quite sound like either of the guitars it's related to but it still sounds Fender through and through....let's face it, you can pick them up for $100. If you like the look of them it's not much of a risk.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Check out the forum I linked to above G0P, there's a lot of talk about modding 51s there.

I think I might get one myself this week. They're not made anymore, so whatever's in the guitar shops now is probably the last of them.
Quote by Ancient Jello
The guys here on the Fender Forum that own 51s rave about how good they are especially for modding.

Also, there's the Squier 51 Modder's Forum dedicated to this very inexpensive and very "mod-friendly" guitar.

A while back, Guitar Center was selling them for the silly price of $69!!! They're still available ~$99 at some stores ... and on eBay, parts or whole guitars are selling for silly and inflated prices.

OOOOHh. I want one now now to mod up. I knew it was cheap but that would be an awesome mod job.
TRANSFIXUS SED NON MORTUUS
out of curiousity, what are the controls on the '51? i read somewhere it had a rotary 3-way pickup selector switch, and a push/pull pot for coil split on the humbucker? But there's only 2 pots, i don't see any switches.

I'm asking this because, thanks so much guys, now i want one.

edit: also... if we all poke squier, do you think we could get them to bring it back into production? i'm worried that i won't be able to get one...
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
Last edited by Blompcube at Jun 23, 2007,
Quote by Blompcube
out of curiousity, what are the controls on the '51? i read somewhere it had a rotary 3-way pickup selector switch, and a push/pull pot for coil split on the humbucker? But there's only 2 pots, i don't see any switches.

I'm asking this because, thanks so much guys, now i want one.

One of the pots is a three way rotary switch.
The other one is a push-pull combined with a volume.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by Guitar0player
One of the pots is a three way rotary switch.
The other one is a push-pull combined with a volume.

okay thanks sounds pretty good to me. Shouldn't take me long until i can afford one.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp

with an EMG 25th Anniversary in the bridge??!?!?!

for about $110 shipped.

so i'll probably sell the emg and have myself an almost free squier 51