Quote by sdmf.1919
The only one I really know is 81/85.
Needs to be good for metal

I've heard hat it all depends on the wood..

An EXTREMELY common one is the 81/85 in a mahogany body. Used so much so people don't like how everyone seems to have the same tone now.

Some people like to use 81/60 as the 60is better for cleans.
Quote by sdmf.1919
60 any good for like a nice blues-y tone?

Not sure myself. I've heard people say it's possible to get with it..

And the only celebrity I can think of who uses 60s is James Hetfield...
Any EMGs will work pretty well together..

81/85 is standard but I hate 85 in the neck
81/60 is great for if you wat some cleans and some killer metal rhythm with the 81. The 60 will probably do blues pretty well.
85 in the bridge of an alder/ash guitar will keep it sounding fuller ad less trebley
60 can also go in the bridge, never tried it though but I imagine it's super fat and probably not so mch clarity
Then you have 89s if you're into the coil splitting for snigle coil tones etc..

81/60 is my favourite in my Viper. Super clear riffery and a sweet warm lead tone in the neck. I find the 60 a fair bit louder than the 81 too so instant solo boost there..
Quote by TheDev01dOne
Any EMGs will work pretty well together..

81/85 is standard but I hate 85 in the neck
81/60 is great for if you wat some cleans and some killer metal rhythm with the 81. The 60 will probably do blues pretty well.
85 in the bridge of an alder/ash guitar will keep it sounding fuller ad less trebley
60 can also go in the bridge, never tried it though but I imagine it's super fat and probably not so mch clarity
Then you have 89s if you're into the coil splitting for snigle coil tones etc..

81/60 is my favourite in my Viper. Super clear riffery and a sweet warm lead tone in the neck. I find the 60 a fair bit louder than the 81 too so instant solo boost there..

Ah cool, yeah i didn't like 85 in the neck when i tried it, so you reckon i should go with 81/60?
Also man while i get a chance to ask, the pickups will be going on a schecter c-1 classic, which hjas those JB and 59' pickups your schecter has, do you think i should keep those on it or change to the emgs? i play mostly metal
I hate the SDs in my Schecter they just sound kinda weak to me. And if you're playing mainly metal EMGs will be a lot better for crazy high gain.

That said for some reason I love the SD 59/59 combo in the Jackson Mark Morton so I dunno.

I think you'll rather the clarity and bite the EMGs have. Go play a hellraiser or something with EMGs and compare.

81/60 is a great combo, way better than 81/85 to my ears.
81/85 is the typical combo, that if I had the choice, I would follow too, because I don't use cleans

Some prefer to replace 85 with 60, because the cleans are better. It's actually a radical combo, although it's not THAT uncommon.

For newbies, 81's are for bridges, and 85 or 60 are for neck.