Page 1 of 2
The other time I was watching VH1 and it was a countdown of the "100 greatest one hit wonders", and I noticed alot of those bands had some really capable or great bassist. Has anybody other than me noticed that one hit wonder bands some really cool bassists? Like for example:

Kajagoogoo
Blind Melon
Faith No More (I wouldn't consider them here, but they were on the list)
Crash Test Dummies (Not great, but he sang and played somewhat interesting lines)
Edie Brickel and the New Bohemians
and plenty others.
More for bass lines than specific bassist, from the era of one hit wonders (1960s and early 70s). I could add more, but I need to get a move on...

In a Gadda da Vida (Iron Butterfly)
Summertime Blues (Blue Cheer)
Liar Liar (Castaways)-this one also has a farfisa organ!! Coolness abounds!
Chicka Boom (Daddy Dewdrop) ok its 1971, but lets not split hairs here...
Jungle Fever (Chakachas) also 1972, but funky as hell
Remember that New Radicals Band.. 'You only get what you give' or something. Their bassist was pretty imaginative.
Some of those bands have/had talented musicians, but they just were not able to keep the level of the song that made them a one-hit-wonder... say, they just got lost somehow... sad
Quote by watchingmefall
Yeah I felt that way, that's why I said that in the first post. Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

*Straps Dynamite to his body*

And off we go!
Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

sigged
"When i've got the music
I've got a place to go"

Quote by watchingmefall
Goog luck killing everybody at VH1.

Member #37 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!
Quote by Tallman
FNM?!

Hunt down and kill whoever compiled that list.

Technically, they only had one hit. They might've been a popular band and had influence, but that doesn't mean they charted much.
Quote by Evil_Jim43
Geekis, you are truly the Ghandi of our time

Quote by thefitz
Man, I really have to stop sigging you...

My blog:
http://david-hates.blogspot.com/
Quote by Geekis_Khan
Technically, they only had one hit. They might've been a popular band and had influence, but that doesn't mean they charted much.

Then technically was Jimi Hendrix a one hit wonder?
First off, I LOVE the Crash Test Dummies. They had 3 songs in particular (Superman's Song, Mmm mmm mmm mmm, and Keep a Lid on Things) that I found to be fantastic.

As far as one hit wonders go, one band that really struck me as exceptional was a band called Hocus Pocus, and their song Focus (or is it the other way around?). It was as if they got their one hit and called it a day. The bass doesn't really standout, but the band as a whole is great.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by watchingmefall
Then technically was Jimi Hendrix a one hit wonder?

Yeah. In fact, I believe they mentioned him on that show.

That just proves that being a one hit wonder doesn't reall mean anything.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Quote by thefitz
As far as one hit wonders go, one band that really struck me as exceptional was a band called Hocus Pocus, and their song Focus (or is it the other way around?). It was as if they got their one hit and called it a day. The bass doesn't really standout, but the band as a whole is great.

It's Hocus Pocus by Focus, and damn right, that song is fantastic!

I wish more bands did yodelling... and the other stuff the singer does in that song.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
It depends on the criteria for judging one hit wonders, normally popular album based bands don't feature on the list even if they only had one singles chart hit.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Quote by watchingmefall
I kinda depresses me, so many quality bands (I don't mean bass wise, but music wise) and fall into obscurity.

I was just listening to 4 Non Blondes the other day...
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Level 42 had some great bass lines. Something About You, was there only major hit.
pop music with classic funk bass. very nice.

They weren't a one-hit-wonder, they were big in the 80's.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
I just love those VH1 countdowns, sometimes they make me wonder if the voters lived in the same decade as I did. God knows on the top 100 songs of the '80s I certainly didn't consider Bon Jovi to be #1.

Anyways--many great bands have their brief moment in chart history and yet have very viable careers (Devo comes to mind) and some people who have very influential careers never even chart (Velvet Underground comes to mind, since the CD happens to be playing on my stereo right now..). And then you have to consider that there are a multitude of charts beyond the Billboard 100, that cover all sorts of markets and genres. The college radio chart comes immediately to mind, and there are tons of artists who have charted there without busting beyond the lower fifty or below on the main Billboard chart.

And I amd sorry, I just can't take any list seriously that has William Shatner as the host...
Quote by anarkee

And I amd sorry, I just can't take any list seriously that has William Shatner as the host...

I think it adds to its credibility.
Quote by Evil_Jim43

Quote by thefitz

My blog:
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
Level 42 had some great bass lines. Something About You, was there only major hit.
pop music with classic funk bass. very nice.

Level 42 definately have great basslines however as you said they never really conquered the U.S but they had many hits in the U.K
Quote by Kendawg4TooL
You know you're a bassist when you think a guitar is just some freaky type of short scale, six string bass.

This is The Central Scrutinizer......
Quote by Geekis_Khan
I was just listening to 4 Non Blondes the other day...

I love that one good song they have!
Good 'ol Bill, method acting at its finest..

The other guilty pleasure from that list, at least for me, is Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky". Not exactly complex musically, but has that great rock anthem quality that makes it a fun cover tune.
Quote by anarkee

Really? Wierd, I cant take any list seriously that doesnt have William Shatner as the host.
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Really? Wierd, I cant take any list seriously that doesnt have William Shatner as the host.

Don't make me take out my copy of "The Transformed Man" album now and force you all to listen to it 24 hours without respite!!
Quote by anarkee
Don't make me take out my copy of "The Transformed Man" album now and force you all to listen to it 24 hours without respite!!

Shame on you for owning that.
Founder of Jaco society

It was an effective discipline tool when the kids were young...."You better behave or we'll make you listen to Transformed man again."

Though it is probably banned under the geneva convention at this point!!!
You should get some Spock albums. Spock>Captain Kirk.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Hmm, "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" (Nimoy) vs "Mr. Tambourine Man" (Shatner)? Yeah, Nimoy wins hands down. Plus he even issued a music video for the song!
I think a duet would be the best, I mean if they wanted to get rid of people just send them a tape of the two of them on a song together.
Founder of Jaco society

video killed a radio star- the buggles
My Gear:

'06 Fender Jazz Bass MIM (black w/Badass II)
'99 Fender P-Bass MIM (midnight blue w/Badass II)
Fender Rumble 60 amp
Quote by sinan90
I think a duet would be the best, I mean if they wanted to get rid of people just send them a tape of the two of them on a song together.

If you threw Sulu into the mix it would blow their minds.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

or hed just blow them

it just shows that talent doesnt always mean that you'll have hits hits
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by aixelsydevahi
If you threw Sulu into the mix it would blow their minds.

^Along with Nichelle Nicholls (Uhura) who actually could sing and toured with Ellington and Lionel Hampton.
I never watched Star Trek so I don't know who she is
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917

Oh my god, a duet with The Shat and the guy who plays Picard ( I cant believe I cant remember his name.....).
Call Me Joe
Quote by wesleyisgay
IF MATT DAMON DIES TOMMAROW

FUK

Communist Mormon of 2.21.19.8

Caffeine Head of The Bass Militia
Quote by watchingmefall
I'm thinking of making a thread named "Has anyone noticed that we bassists are complete geeks?"

God, yes, between the Star Trek and Star Wars references that get thrown about, you may have a point here....

And didn't Patrick Stewart narrate a version of Peter and the Wolf? (ok, I guess I hit extreme geekdom with that one...)
Page 1 of 2