Besides, major and minor scales, and blues... what are some of the most important scales to learn?

To give this some sort of order, list 5 scales that you find are important.
Locrian
Lydian
Pentatonic Minor
Diminished
Dorian

Those are my top five, (aside from the ones you listed).
The most important scale is the one that fits over the chord progression.... Thats how I see it. I just learn all of them that I can and see where I can use them...

Major and all modes
Melodic minor and all modes
Harmonic and all modes
Diminished
Chromatic

I could go on all day...
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Lol... I know a load of scales and stuff... I was just wondering what other people thought were important. I could get to work on all the modes though... I know I learnt them a long time back and sort of pushed them aside actually.

Thanks for replying anyway though, hopefully people will find just looking at these few replies helpful.
Last edited by Dozza at Jun 23, 2007,
Every mode of the major, melodic minor, and harmonic minor scale, as well as the whole tone scale (not exactly hard to memorize)
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
LOL at man made scales

i'd call major and minor pretty man made too

and in case you havent noticed major = a mode of minor and vice versa
i have a 'white guitar'
hey man-made means based on a pattern like whole half and half whole ...yes?

it sounds weird yes but like i said its a pattern rather that the sound.

ok
I would have said ionian for major 7th chords, dorian for minor 7th, mixolydian for dominant seventh, and possibly locrian for diminished chords. I reckon you could get by with those.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
Quote by marmoseti
I would have said ionian for major 7th chords, dorian for minor 7th, mixolydian for dominant seventh, and possibly locrian for diminished chords. I reckon you could get by with those.

Lydain for maj7#11, Phrygian for susb9 and locrian for m7b5. Dorian and minor for m7ths.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
Lydain for maj7#11, Phrygian for susb9 and locrian for m7b5. Dorian and minor for m7ths.

susb9... havent heard of that.... can you give an example... like _____ phrygian played over ____susb9.

thanks
shred is gaudy music
B phrygian (B C D E F# G A) with Bsusb9 (B E F# A C)
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101
B phrygian (B C D E F# G A) with Bsusb9 (B E F# A C)

Ok thx ill check it out.
shred is gaudy music
No problem. It was also suggested in Mark Levine's Jazz Theory Book.
DANNY

Quote by King Nothin
and MAJOR MODES ARE DIFFERENT FROM MINOR MODES JESUS CHRIST.

The minor scale is a mode of the major scale.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by YourMessiah666

Pentatonic Minor

he said that one.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Quote by King Nothin
and MAJOR MODES ARE DIFFERENT FROM MINOR MODES JESUS CHRIST.

PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN.

If you mean modes of the major scale are different to modes of the minor scale, you are wrong. If you are actually refering to modes of Harmonic minor, please remove your head from your anus.

If you mean that major modes (Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian) are different to minor modes (Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian), of course they are different - who said otherwise?
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
one thing i dont get is why everyones stressing about learning "different" modes because two different modes of one scale are the same scale just changing where your fretting hand is

i mean if you played mixolydian, then played lydian skipping the first note you'd hear the same thing just one extra note with the mixolydian because you skipped a note playing lydian

and if you played mixolydian skipping the first note, you'd get aeolian.
i have a 'white guitar'
Quote by .fallen
one thing i dont get is why everyones stressing about learning "different" modes because two different modes of one scale are the same scale just changing where your fretting hand is

i mean if you played mixolydian, then played lydian skipping the first note you'd hear the same thing just one extra note with the mixolydian because you skipped a note playing lydian

and if you played mixolydian skipping the first note, you'd get aeolian.

No...just...no.
Every mode covers the entire fretboard.
They are not box positions, they are scales in their own right. You can play the notes in any order you want, it won't change the mode you're playing.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT YOU MEAN.

If you mean modes of the major scale are different to modes of the minor scale, you are wrong. If you are actually refering to modes of Harmonic minor, please remove your head from your anus.

If you mean that major modes (Ionian, Lydian, Mixolydian) are different to minor modes (Dorian, Phrygian, Aeolian), of course they are different - who said otherwise?

I mean Major modes - eg Ionian Dorian Phygian Lydian MixoLydian Aeolian and locrian

are different from the minor modes - e.g Harmonic minor, melodic minor and phrygian dominant etc.

like another set of scales.

and btw my head is know where near my anus thanks
the minor modes are more modern used mainly in jazz

oh sorry i found out there are melodic minor modes.
not minor.
Sorry, I said the head-up-arse thing because it annoys me when people don't specify what minor they are talking about - there are three different kinds so you can't just say 'minor' and expect me to know what you're talking about.

Phrygian Dominant is the 5th mode of Harmonic minor, and it's actually a major scale (dominant, more specifically).

Yeah, actually EVERY scale has modes (except for symetrical scales eg whole-tone scale).
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums