I am going to be adjusting the truss rod on my bass to get rid of the bow. I know that I'll need to turn it clockwise to tighten it and only do 1/4 of a turn every 24 hours but I don't know if I should loosen the strings beforehand or keep them tuned. Based on information from here,
Here is a simply way to check the relief in the neck if one doesn't have a straightedge handy... the instrument strung to pitch fret a string on the 1st fret and where the neck meets the body.

the relief is .4 cm or 4mm. That website also says that relief normally varies from .004cm to .012cm so I know I'll be needing to do a lot of adjusting. Would that much adjusting have a bad effect on the neck even if I do it properly?
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Last edited by aixelsydevahi at Jun 23, 2007,
you'd be suprised how sensetive it is, you don't have to adjust it alot to make a big difference

and i'd slacken the strings simply because if your straightening the neck then your gonna tighten the strings

but don't quote me on this,m i'm no expert
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
My bass teacher told me to slacken the strings but the site said to keep them in pitch. I did 1/4 turn without slackening them but I will if the tension is too high.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by aixelsydevahi
I am going to be adjusting the truss rod on my bass to get rid of the bow. I know that I'll need to turn it clockwise to tighten it and only do 1/4 of a turn every 24 hours but I don't know if I should loosen the strings beforehand or keep them tuned. Based on information from here,

the relief is .4 cm or 4mm. That website also says that relief normally varies from .004cm to .012cm so I know I'll be needing to do a lot of adjusting. Would that much adjusting have a bad effect on the neck even if I do it properly?

I would never adjust a truss rod with the strigs under tension even when slackening.
I agree with 1/4 turn incriments but not just one every 24 hours, 2 x 1/4 turn adjustments are usualy enough to correct most problems.
Remember the bridge saddles will probably need adjusting after the truss rod adjustment.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Ok so I'll loosen the strings a lot next time. I'll adjust the action and intonation when I get the neck sorted out.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917