Well Im not to sure where else to put this so I figured here would be an alright place. If its not, Ill move it or whatever.

Ok so Ive been trying to find a nice multi-track recorder for a long time now. I thought I found one in the fostex VF160EX but that just got discontinued at musicians friend(I actually wanted the whole recording bundle. So now thats out Im looking for something again. I have the cash I just cant find it. But right now Im looking at THIS but with only 4 sim inputs I was thinking theres no way thats going to be enough. I have 6 mics alone on my drumset. But I was pointed towards THIS. SO my question is. Can I really hook all my drumset mics into this and run one line to the recorder and everything work fine? Cause I figure it could be farely easy to just edit the separate mics with the mixer and then record. Lemme know what you think.

Thanks
-Rob
Looking for a nice guitar. Would really like a gibson les paul/Flying-V/explorer or possibly a nice fender stratocaster! Contact me with pics and price if you have one forsale. Thanks
you're buying the recording bundle and the mixer and using the mixer to get all your drums into one track? that'll work fine if you think you can get all the levels and EQ done in one try because once you record all your drums into one track and realize later your snare could've been a little louder or crisper your only option is to re-record the whole thing. my advice to you is to maybe try recording one instrument at a time, which can be a bit of a hassle, but comes out so much cleaner in the end and in my experience is much more time efficient, and to just use four mics on the drums, one to the snare, one to the kick, and two over the set panned left and right for a stereo effect. trust me, it'll sound awesome. if you still are set on all instruments at once, and your six mics, go for it, but make sure you've got the sound you're looking for before you start because it gets frustrating. god speed.
Quote by punx642
you're buying the recording bundle and the mixer and using the mixer to get all your drums into one track? that'll work fine if you think you can get all the levels and EQ done in one try because once you record all your drums into one track and realize later your snare could've been a little louder or crisper your only option is to re-record the whole thing. my advice to you is to maybe try recording one instrument at a time, which can be a bit of a hassle, but comes out so much cleaner in the end and in my experience is much more time efficient, and to just use four mics on the drums, one to the snare, one to the kick, and two over the set panned left and right for a stereo effect. trust me, it'll sound awesome. if you still are set on all instruments at once, and your six mics, go for it, but make sure you've got the sound you're looking for before you start because it gets frustrating. god speed.

Thanks man. Well I have quite a few more questions but it may take some time to remember them lol. As of now though, I have thought about the whole getting is just right before recording, and I do see that as a hassle but I think it will work out eventually. Would you recommend a different recorder or do you think that should work fine. Like I said before, I was looking at the fostex VF160EX but musicians friend discontinued it. That had 16 sim inputs, which I can imagine being pretty nice. I was looking at the tascam portastudios but they only had 8 sim inputs and were a great deal more. But yeah, let me know what you think.
Looking for a nice guitar. Would really like a gibson les paul/Flying-V/explorer or possibly a nice fender stratocaster! Contact me with pics and price if you have one forsale. Thanks
well my band and i are less than average musicians and mistakes occur pretty often. when recording individually one advantage is that if someone makes a mistake it doesn't throw the whole band off and require everyone to start over. my experience in recording lies strictly in digital, with a PC. when talking about stand alones like you're looking at I couldn't tell ya, but it seems to me you should be able to find another 16-track recorder in the same price range as the discontinued one. musicians friend is great, but do some shopping elsewhere if you can't find what you're looking for.
Quote by punx642
well my band and i are less than average musicians and mistakes occur pretty often. when recording individually one advantage is that if someone makes a mistake it doesn't throw the whole band off and require everyone to start over. my experience in recording lies strictly in digital, with a PC. when talking about stand alones like you're looking at I couldn't tell ya, but it seems to me you should be able to find another 16-track recorder in the same price range as the discontinued one. musicians friend is great, but do some shopping elsewhere if you can't find what you're looking for.

Yeah I hear ya bro. I think I will go with that. I like the package as a whole. What I do really like about that recorder though is it allows u to overlap up 2 64 tracks...which is just awesome lol. So once I get more used to using I think I will be doing a lot of individual recording. Thanks again!