I have an Ibanez S370 and apart from the crappy pickups it's a great guitar - looks good and extremely comfortable to play on. After I replace the pups with Swines (Condor neck, Dragonfly middle, Venom bridge for someone who plays a lot of classic rock but mostly Thrash metal... please suggest a better combination if you have one) I wanna sort out the crappy tremlo that's come with it.
I don't know anything about OFRs except that they cost a fair bit of money and are not easy to install. How do I go about getting one and having it installed? If I have someone install it for me will it work on my guitar (one practically identical to the S470)? How much one will cost and is it better to go second hand?
Thanks in advance.
if you're talking about the ZR trem...that tremolo is held in high regards and is said to be equal if not superior to the OFR, and also, it wouldn't give it more range, it's just a shallow body that limits it, i'm not even sure if you can put an ofr in there, but they are good, and will last a very long time, and it's about 170-200 for one, and installed probably another 50-100, depending on who you go to
I think the trem it currently has is a Lo-TRS II Trem which is absolute crap... also if there's a better Ibanez tremelo arm then please tell me, I know nothing about tremelo arms really... I don't have to get an OFR.
ERm, all S series come with ZR tremolo, it's way more versatile than the OFRs, holds its tuning better, won't go out of tune when a string breaks due the the zero point mechanism (as i found out tonight) and it is much nicer generally. Only reason it wouldn't have this trem is if it is more than a few years old. My 2005 S470 has it, soI assume yours does, when did you get it?
Quote by rickmeister
I think the trem it currently has is a Lo-TRS II Trem which is absolute crap... also if there's a better Ibanez tremelo arm then please tell me, I know nothing about tremelo arms really... I don't have to get an OFR.

Yes, buy an OFR. It will be a HUGE improvement.
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Yes, buy an OFR. It will be a HUGE improvement.

Only if it has the trem he believes it has. Unless its old, its actually a ZR Tremolo, n they're the best locking trem I've ever played. Much better than any licensed Floyd Rose or similar.
Quote by last_biscuit
Only if it has the trem he believes it has. Unless its old, its actually a ZR Tremolo, n they're the best locking trem I've ever played. Much better than any licensed Floyd Rose or similar.

He said it has a lo-TRSII, his S is older.
^ I believe he said 'I think the trem it has is a Lo-TRS...' which means it may not be, and he hasn't posted the age yet.
you can get an OFR, but apparently they are very hard to fit on most Ibanez guitars, so it might not be worth it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
in that case an ofr would prolly be the best choice, i was just saying the ZR part because they're like ball bearings and all that stuff, and i know nothing on how to put those in, maybe an OFR would be a direct swap? PM madpickin03 (maybe there's not an o3 on the end? i don't remember) he's pretty much the god of tremolo knowledge, haha
^ thx for mentioning

Ok, so what we have here is "probably" a Korean 2000-2002 model which has either the Ibanez LoTRSII or ILT1 bridge. The latter doesnt have much improvement either. Its pretty much standard, an OFR/Schaller/Gotoh would fit in just nice

BUT, the only problem is that you'd have to order a shorter trem block since the body of the S is very thin. Or else the block will buldge out, you can also grind the ones that are already in the package to shorten them out, up to you. Or just let it buldge out.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
The trem definitely isn't a ZR and is a LoTRSII... are you sure the OFR is a direct swap? I have an S370 not 470 by the way, if I can't fit an OFR can I just get a ZR installed or something?
Quote by rickmeister
The trem definitely isn't a ZR and is a LoTRSII... are you sure the OFR is a direct swap? I have an S370 not 470 by the way, if I can't fit an OFR can I just get a ZR installed or something?

Then you'll have to extend the tremolo cavity.
And I think it's a bitch to install.
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
Quote by rickmeister

Installing a ZR there would be as good as buying yourself a new S series. Its a lot of work, you gotta fill up the previous hole, reroute and redrill a lot of things. Its just not worth it.

Like i said in my post, it'd swap nicely (probably need to sand a titsy bit on the sides) but the only main problem is your trem block
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Do they make shorter trem blocks then? Would it be easy to have a guitar tech (friend of a friend, wouldn't charge much I don't think.. could get him to set it up, change the strings tune it up etc for something like $50 or less) do all this stuff or is sanding it down quite difficulty?
Sorry for all the questions but once again thanks for the help.
Yeah they do make the trem block, but i forgot which size is perfect for the S. As for charge of setup, i really cant say how much it should be, it depends on them and how good they are.

If i were you i'd just get a Gotoh LFR, its as good if not better plus it has pop in arm and easily adjustable arm torque.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic