Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the saddle material on the Epiphone Masterbilts is? If it's just plastic, I'm going to say "screw it" and put a bone one in.
You are sure you want to buy an item like this on line? Whenever I need a saddle or a nut, I have to take the old one to the store where they open a box containing a wild variety of these parts. With a sliding measure and a critical eye the one that comes closest is chosen, which most of the time still needs some modification to make it a perfect fit.
Compensated saddles I prefer to make myself out of a blank that has the right thickness, but still needs the ridge to be put into shape. That way I can determine exactly which strings I want to be shortest and which need to be longer and by what amount. Only if your guitar is run of the mill and originally equiped with such a bridgepiece you can try to order it as a spare part.
Marcel is spot on i reckon, you really need to taylor the amount of 'compensation' in the bridge for each individual guitar.(like setting up a strat or similar) where the string length & bridge fretting is totally adjustable. This is exactly what has to be done for the saddle but only once & hopefully correct the first time. Oh i have worked out my exact amounts of compensation per string , by using a dummy saddle (well actually 6 dummy saddle-etts) i make them out of something very similar to what my finished saddle is going to be made out of & slip them under the strings & intonate. when i have the intonation of each string exact i put a small amount of wet paint or something similar on the point where the string frets on the saddle of each string & softly lay a piece of paper on the wet paint to give me a rough outline of my new 'compensation' amounts.
Hope it helps
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

Head Drug Tester of Australians FTWclub
PM the_random_hero for entry

Prime Minister of the UG archtop acoustic players club,
PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Chad48309
Not to hijack the thread, but does anyone know what the saddle material on the Epiphone Masterbilts is? If it's just plastic, I'm going to say "screw it" and put a bone one in.

99.9% sure theyre plastic
Quote by tom183
99.9% sure theyre plastic

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Any guitar mfr's "masterbuilt" class of guitars would surely have bone saddle and nut. I'd be hard pressed to believe that they would put plastic, i.e. Tusq, saddles or nuts on their high end guitars. On lesser models, no doubt, due to cost, and keeping cost down, but not on high dollar models.
Too bad the Epiphone site is so sketchy when it comes to that. Gibson has it all laid out, wonder why they don't do the same for the Epi's?
Quote by LeftyDave
Too bad the Epiphone site is so sketchy when it comes to that. Gibson has it all laid out, wonder why they don't do the same for the Epi's?

maybe i is sketcht because they are using plastic or something similar. I honestly dont know i agree with you LeftyDave r.e. the idea of masterbuilt should include high end components , but do they?

I do know my Maton has a plastic saddle.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jun 26, 2007,
I guess I can really only speak for the Alvarez/Yairi line, and the hi end ones do have bone saddles and nuts. I've also done some research into FWI, or fossilized walrus ivory. It's rather expensive, but is supposed to transmit the string vibrations better than standard bone. I really ought to buy a beater acoustic guitar just to toy around with, experiment on to see what really sounds better.
i made a saddle & nut out of granite & they worked gr8 (albeit on a banjo) the hardest bit was shaping it.LOL next hardest was getting the slots for the strings. Ah Dremmel my lifesaver.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Yeah, bone nut and saddle according to their informational video. Honestly, that video has more info about the masterbilts than is written on their website. They should really remedy that.
Quote by Chad48309
Yeah, bone nut and saddle according to their informational video. Honestly, that video has more info about the masterbilts than is written on their website. They should really remedy that.

True?? I guess my cousin got ripped off then cos after posting my previous message i looked at his epi masterbilt and it definitely has a plastic nut and saddle. His is an '04 model...think its possible theyve upgraded in the last few years???
Yeah right, do you honestly believe that tom183
my maton is supposed to have bone too but naw its plastic. If they can get away with a cheaper alternative they will that is just human nature at the mercy to market forces Vs greed . My opinion only of corse. so dont flame me.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
I think it is a bit of an old fashioned idea to consider plastics as being low cost and inferior alternatives for natural products. Nowadays there are plastics that are superior to any natural material and are used to make higly stressed components for rockets, fighter planes and racing cars. These plastics are not at all cheap.
Fact of the matter is that natural materials have darwbacks too. Bone can be very unpredictable in its properties, all depending on the microscopic structure of what used to be body tissue. Ivory simply is not available for any application and should not be used, were it only to keep certain criminal elements from thinking there is a market for it. (This so called fossilised ivory doesn't help one bit. It only offers those people a loophole)
Artificial materials on the other hand, can be engineered to exactly meet specified requirements. A luthier may choose a hard ivorite to get a sharp definition and sparkling overtones, but also resort to a softer nylon for a more smoothened bassier sound. That way he can either enhance certain characteristics of a guitar or counter them to get a better balance. In any case; that a bridge is made of of some sort of plastic doesn't mean that the builder has cut corners. It is more likely that he has made a rational choice, especially when a guitar shows a high level of quility elsewhere.
wow well put Marcel Im with you there. You dont see many space ships built form bone eh? or you dont see many foscilised ivory , bullet proof vests either. Maybe that might stop the tiles falling off the space shuttle, make 'em out of bone to improve the tonal charistics of the resonant note of the re-entry. Man honestly that shuttle must virtually sing on re-entry. Imagine enough friction to make the shuttle glow, wow anything that could vibrate & resonate , certainly would be. I would think it would be very audible to the point of rattling your bones & your complete insides, like pumping 120db out of a 2KW amp & standing in front of it.

You might have guessed Marcel (from previous posts) im not worried about what my saddle/nut material is, just so long as it works. LOL

Oh Marcel i still think plastic is a cheaper alternative to bone even if it is space age plastic (that does a better job) just because the manufacturing process for plastic is so quick bone on the other hand has to be grown.
I am happy my Maton comes with (looks like carbon fibre to be honest) nut & saddle.
I was commenting on the fact that it is supposed to come with bone on it. As was the masterbuilt the original poster was refering to.
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Last edited by Dix_Fix at Jun 28, 2007,
Quote by Dix_Fix
Yeah right, do you honestly believe that tom183
my maton is supposed to have bone too but naw its plastic. If they can get away with a cheaper alternative they will that is just human nature at the mercy to market forces Vs greed . My opinion only of corse. so dont flame me.

Well, no, it didnt seem likely to me but then again, neither did false advertising on their part. Perhaps im too trusting...lol.
"subect to change, depending upon availability" covers a whole lot doesnt it. LOL Tom183
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!
Quote by Dix_Fix
"subect to change, depending upon availability" covers a whole lot doesnt it. LOL Tom183

Is that what it says? lol. I didnt have a look i was just going off Chad48309's post.
No it didnt say that just that is what is usually what is in contracts of this sort to cover their collective arses. Eh?
Richard

Veni Vidi Vici

PM Keef_is_King
to join!