I am new to studying music theory, and so far I understand it all pretty well, but I do have a very basic question that is probably easy to answer. Why is the G Chord usually played as 3 2 0 0 0 3 and not 3 2 0 0 3 3? Major Chords are made using the 1 3 5 notes of the major scale. (G Major Scale - G A B C D E F# G) So since the B string has both the 3rd and 5th note on it, why does the open B take preference over the 3rd fret D? Or does it vary on what is used? Sorry if this is a real noob question, but that is what I currently am and help would be greatly appreciated.
-shrug- reason i can think of is because it's easier to play just the one fretted note on the high e than it is to play both on the b and e
lol but i know next to no theory so yeah
Satan isn't inside a guitar pick. He's in here. In our hearts. He's what makes us not want to go to work, or excercise or tell the truth. He's that little voice in your mind that says "Fuck you" to the people you hate.
I play it the second way =/
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Using the B instead of G gives you another triad. Using the D leaves only 1 major third in the chord.

using 320003 gives you 1 3 5 1 3 5. As opposed to 1 3 5 1 5 1
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
people just find it easier to play 3 2 0 0 0 3

its just easier to play

but i've abandoned all open chords for barre chords anyways, so convenience isnt really something i care about

and the fact that you understand this theory is impressive. keep it up. it does wonders for you. and dont listen to all the famous players who tell you theory isnt important. like alexi laiho tells you that the theory stuff isnt used in metal right? well right in the middle of one of his solos he randomly inserts a circle of fifths. coincidence? i think not.

btw, in traditional theory, you should only have one third note in each chord. but we've abandoned that because we're lazy. but think about it and look at barre chords
i have a 'white guitar'
I think people find it easier...even though it sounds a little better
Quote by Allahblues
Lavaticus 3:14, "So Moses went to class with some no name **** brand and totally started wailin on it. So I challenged him to a guitar duel and totally smoked his ass, he went home crying then everyone was all like OH YOUR SO AWESOME SEX ME."
Thanks for the comments. I pieced it together from you guys and I come to understand that it has to do with triads and the fact that only one third note should be used in a chord. Same goes for E as I noticed that (besides the fact it is nearly impossible to pull off) you play the open E on the first string instead of the G# on the fourth fret. Thanks for the help.
I wouldn't say that either way is really preferred over the other. I've seen both ways in tons of tabs. Many beginner books will teach the first way though because it's a bit simpler.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by matt9189
Thanks for the comments. I pieced it together from you guys and I come to understand that it has to do with triads and the fact that only one third note should be used in a chord. Same goes for E as I noticed that (besides the fact it is nearly impossible to pull off) you play the open E on the first string instead of the G# on the fourth fret. Thanks for the help.

No way sir. You can use as many thirds as you want as long as you have the root and fifth. It just gives a different sounding chord, thats all. In saying this, do you realize how many chord varations there are for just a simple G chord?

Hundreds of them just on the fretboard alone. Of course some of these would be very hard to play, but still, they are chords.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
but i've abandoned all open chords for barre chords anyways, so convenience isnt really something i care about

That's an odd statement, barre chords ARE convenience, that's the whole point. You can use the same shape for all your chords so it's a lot easier to move round. I wouldn't abandon open chords though, that's a pretty daft statement to make. Barre chords sound pretty crap on acoustic or clean parts. I never understand people who make statements like "I never play x or y" - you are learninrg a musical instrument, everything you learn will come in handy and the more knowledge you have the better player you can be. The only reason for never playing something is because to can't do it yet , but to effectively cast off a piece of accumulated knowledge is plain stupid.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
using 320003 gives you 1 3 5 1 3 5. As opposed to 1 3 5 1 5 1

WRONG! it gives you 1 3 5 1 3 1 as opposed to 1 3 5 1 5 1
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
While they are both the same chord, 320003 is often what's taught in books, it's more simple for beginners as no 4th finger is used.

I prefer to use 320033 since the last 2 notes are a closer interval distance which provides a more solid and lush sound.
Quote by Eggmond
WRONG! it gives you 1 3 5 1 3 1 as opposed to 1 3 5 1 5 1

Good call. But whatever, the second 3 was the only important number.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
personally live i'll play the second one 320033, but when recording i'll usually double track 2 guitars and one will play the first type and the second will play the second type (actually i'll often quadruple track guitar or more, then i'll add G's from everywhere to make it sound super full, i'll use the G barre chord and the G on the 10th fret starting on the A string too)
Quote by z4twenny
personally live i'll play the second one 320033, but when recording i'll usually double track 2 guitars and one will play the first type and the second will play the second type (actually i'll often quadruple track guitar or more, then i'll add G's from everywhere to make it sound super full, i'll use the G barre chord and the G on the 10th fret starting on the A string too)

Don't forget all the possible capo positions
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
^and a few natural harmonics
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial