I'm looking for a good book with scale (and preferrably with finger diagrams also) patterns. Tabs are an additional plus.

I've got the A minor pentatonic scale down, but the book I had made it relatively difficult to interpret how to move the 4th and 5th positions around, which ticked me off (I know it's simple, but it helps for me to see exactly where these positions would be in their alternate places).

Basically, I just want a big book with as many scales as possible (particularly the ones relevant to metal), and preferably as visual as possible. It would also be nice for the book to show the scales extending up to the 24th fret. I can understand if there aren't any books that show that, and if that's the case, if someone could either explain to me or link me to an explanation of how to use the frets past 17 (most places I've seen only go up to 15-17, if I'm lucky), I'd really appreciate it.

Also, if someone could tell me, as I'm going to be focusing mostly on metal, what scales I should be focusing on, I'd appreciate it. A minor Pentatonic seemed really blusey to me. Not that I'm adverse to the idea of learning other genres, it's just that I'd like to learn something that would be more fitting with heavy distortion, and would sound a bit darker.

Finally, last question, with drop tunings, how does that change scale patterns (if at all)? Does the low E's scale positions just move down the string, or what?

Sorry if any of this seems really dumb.
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Instead of a book, use the internet.

And for the drop tuning question, yeah it would change. If it was drop D you would play two frets up on the E string (D string when de-tuned).
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Instead of a book, use the internet.

And for the drop tuning question, yeah it would change. If it was drop D you would play two frets up on the E string (D string when de-tuned).

I have. Two issues with using the internets.

1)I hate using a ton of ink and printer paper.

2)Quality seems all over the place

I'd rather have a printed book of some sort that would have all the information in one place. I hate scrounging all over the place to find all the stuff I would want in a book. Then, add to the fact that there's discrepancies between sites, and it annoys the **** out of me.
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Quote by zOMGREI
I have. Two issues with using the internets.

1)I hate using a ton of ink and printer paper.

2)Quality seems all over the place

I'd rather have a printed book of some sort that would have all the information in one place. I hate scrounging all over the place to find all the stuff I would want in a book. Then, add to the fact that there's discrepancies between sites, and it annoys the **** out of me.

There are files you can download which you can view with ADOBE Reader.
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
There are files you can download which you can view with ADOBE Reader.

A link to an example of a good one, please?
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
guitar pro has a collection of scales and modes
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Yea you can trust all the stuff on the internets..
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by mothership
guitar pro has a collection of scales and modes

Ah! GP! Didn't even think of that! You can print them out there, right?

I knew I "bought" GP for something!
Gear:
ESP/LTD RZK-600
Peavey Valveking 112
EHX Metal Muff
Boss GE-7 Graphic EQ
Boss Chromatic Tuner
Quote by zOMGREI
Ah! GP! Didn't even think of that! You can print them out there, right?

I knew I "bought" GP for something!

I 'bought' it too.

But I got a scales book which was scanned into a file for ADOBE reader which is good. I got that off a torrent site.