Got this problem with my computer and cant figure out what it could be.
First of all its a custom built computer that my brother and me built together. Its got 2.5 (about) gigs of ddr ram a 3.0 GHz processor and a Nvidia geforce FX 6200 (I think but cant remember exactly) 256 mb video memmory. (Yeah we where almost out of funding when it got to the video card. I dont think the specs of the comp matter for the problem Im haveing but from experience with posting on forums I know someone always says to list them.

Anyway the problem is first of all the sound stopped working and I noticed the sound card somehow wriggled loose of the slot. I took the comp appart to fix it and then put it back together. Now the computer wont turn on at all (using a crapp gateway laptop right now to post) Its wierd because the fans are stuck on wich is not normal. Usually the fans only run when the computer is running but now they are on unless I cut the power to them. Any idea what would make a comp stop running but make the fans run eternally?
"The true key to immortality is not the ability to live forever, but the ability to achieve things that will be remembered long after you are gone"
Check your power supply.

See if it's got enough wattage to power all your components.
Kein Engel kommt um euch zu rächen...

Quote by Spynal
I think I speak for the entire metal forum when I say it is an absolute HONOR to have you on these forums Mr. Vikernes.
BrandNew I laughed a lot at your sig...but anyway, dude try what NAME GOES HERE said, it's all I can think of.
Rock On

Quote by Shard Heilia
Nothing. Is Better. Than Guitar.

I Receive Nourishment From My Amplifier. Food Is For The Weak.

Quote by Thrace
Listen to Machine Head, you'll want to headbutt someone right in their pussy.
When you say, "took apart" you mean, took the side off and pushed the card back in? In any instance, it could be that some of the wires on the motherboard could be loose from digging around in there. There's small wires, one set of which should come right from the power switch, that go to a small section of pins on the board. Some of those may just need to be pushed back in. (they look like this: http://www.dfgamers.net/cougar/mbpower.jpg )

If those are loose, or off, then it would cause those type of problems. Could be something else, but that's a good thing to maybe glance at until someone with more knowledge comes along
Quote by вяaи∂ иєw
Are you sure you plugged it in?

Happens a lot to me.

Yes its plugged in otherwise the fans wouldnt be stuck on
"The true key to immortality is not the ability to live forever, but the ability to achieve things that will be remembered long after you are gone"
It could possibly be that you short circuited a PCI slot on your motherboard, and now the rest of the components on the motherboard are not receiving power because of the short circuit. It wouldn't be the power supply, because the fans are still working, and they aren't directly connected to the motherboard, but the power supply itself. So if everything on the motherboard doesn't work, but the fans still do and they are connected to the power supply, its a process of elimination. I'd say its your motherboard. Try taking out the sound card first, then turn it back on and see.
Be cool.
Quote by Joshua_Haunted
When you say, "took apart" you mean, took the side off and pushed the card back in? In any instance, it could be that some of the wires on the motherboard could be loose from digging around in there. There's small wires, one set of which should come right from the power switch, that go to a small section of pins on the board. Some of those may just need to be pushed back in. (they look like this: http://www.dfgamers.net/cougar/mbpower.jpg )

If those are loose, or off, then it would cause those type of problems. Could be something else, but that's a good thing to maybe glance at until someone with more knowledge comes along

Yeah when I said took appart I just took the side panel off and put the SC back in its slot.
Quote by thedude051
It could possibly be that you short circuited a PCI slot on your motherboard, and now the rest of the components on the motherboard are not receiving power because of the short circuit. It wouldn't be the power supply, because the fans are still working, and they aren't directly connected to the motherboard, but the power supply itself. So if everything on the motherboard doesn't work, but the fans still do and they are connected to the power supply, its a process of elimination. I'd say its your motherboard. Try taking out the sound card first, then turn it back on and see.

two of my fans do connect to the MB. the hard drive fans hook to the same power supply as the HD. Basically the fan hooks into the HD then the HD power supply hooks through the back of it.
Quote by surmatise
two of my fans do connect to the MB. the hard drive fans hook to the same power supply as the HD. Basically the fan hooks into the HD then the HD power supply hooks through the back of it.

Hmm, then you have a different setup than I do, and my computer is brand new. My fans hook straight to the power supply. I still wouldn't say its your power supply. Try taking out every PCI/AGP component in the computer and boot it up again. See if it even turns on. my aunt had a problem with hers where her video card died and the computer wouldn't boot.
Be cool.