Alright so basically Ive decided to allow myself 500 bucks this summer to spend on instruments. Im looking for a bass, and a mandolin. Im just gonna be foolin around on the bass so it doesnt need to be anything spectacular. Im lookin at the squier modified 70's Jazz bass. Any experience? Also I'd like a F style mando so If anyone could recomend me a good one, cuz im getting kinda serious about learning the instrument. Any other ideas on how I should spend it would be cool too. thanks!
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
Fender Jazz bass
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
Quote by leftybassdude
Fender Jazz bass

That's what I would go with.

And for a Mandolin, I don't know. I would just look up Mandolin companies, pick the one you think is best, and buy one.

I know nothing about brands and such for mandolins.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
i believe there was a mandolin in musicians friend for 40 bucks, so i would start with something cheap for a mandolin just because you just started it
Quote by nexteyenate
+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

leftybassdude's opinion is superior to anyone else's

Member of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM TechnicolorBoy or maybe_I_am to join
screw guitars, get some high class hookers.

Edit: at irony in above statement
I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
get new friends. i dont associate with Fall Out Boy fans. they deserve cancer and humiliation. like ass cancer.
I wouldn't recommend an F style mandolin as a starter, due to the fact that they are more expensive than an A style. The cheapest worthwhile F style mandolin I have seen is the Kentucky KM-630, which you can get of musiciansfriend.com for $450.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Kentucky-KM630-Standard-Mandolin?sku=518034
"Don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold."