One thing I noticed as that people will tend to view you as a guitar player based on the clothes you wear and your overall style, at least until they hear you play... and sometimes after that. For example, I've been playing guitar since I was 7. I'm 17 now and I dress as nondescript as possible and I wear glasses, and when people find out I play they look at me with smirks and raised eyebrows and think "HE plays guitar...?", and if those same people find out that some dude with long hair, a studded belt and skin tight jeans plays they assume hes awesome.

It's not that big of a deal since people are usually impressed once they hear me play, but still... Style and Fashion have absolutely nothing to do with music at all. Dressing like a chick doesn't make you a better musician.
Rig:
PRS SE semi hollow (blue)
mexican fat strat
Ovation MOB
LTD hybrid 300
Fender Blues Junior
Digitech Whammy
Boss DD 20 and DS1
yeah, but i still wear tight pants and metal tee's, actually i wear shorts cause its hot as balls in here
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Quote by TheforumTroll
One thing I noticed as that people will tend to view you as a guitar player based on the clothes you wear and your overall style, at least until they hear you play... and sometimes after that. For example, I've been playing guitar since I was 7. I'm 17 now and I dress as nondescript as possible and I wear glasses, and when people find out I play they look at me with smirks and raised eyebrows and think "HE plays guitar...?", and if those same people find out that some dude with long hair, a studded belt and skin tight jeans plays they assume hes awesome.

It's not that big of a deal since people are usually impressed once they hear me play, but still... Style and Fashion have absolutely nothing to do with music at all. Dressing like a chick doesn't make you a better musician.

You're right, a musician should not be judged by his clothes, but I must say, there is nothing wrong with looking nice while playing.
666 BRO
it matters in some sense. i dont think a metal band would be very popular if the lead singer wore hollister.
the game
i wear a black tank top and pink cargo pants so people just think im gay
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
People shouldn't judge other people by their clothing. Someone could dress in black clothes and play blues for an example.
Quote by RiotSquad
mom take me to the doctor i cant stop cumming in wrestling
Quote by Cameronrobson
bobby, I've got poutine in my urethra

CLICK HERE FOR FREE SEX!
Last edited by Stentroll at Jun 24, 2007,
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
just look at John 5, you'd never guess what style he plays.

And Joe Walsh lol he had THE worse sense of style i've ever seen.

Now Joe Perry is a man of style
Quote by Dirtydeeds468
People don't like Dave Mustaine because he created something that owned Metallica in just about every single aspect of thrash metal.

it's true
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
just look at John 5, you'd never guess what style he plays.

that's a very good point... a few weeks ago when they had a story about his new album. i saw the picture and said "what a fag" then i heard the album. blew me away. one of the better instrumental albums ive heard.
Quote by watchingmefall
Just look at how Muhammed Suicmez of Necrophagist looks, and then listen to his br00tal metal.

amen.
businessman metal ftw...
eh. I don't think it should matter. But then again, you can't really take my opinion on it.

I'm into the whole Horror Punk style. I try to dress as close to that as possible when I play.

But I guess if you want to dress up, you should. If you don't want to, don't.

The way you look shouldn't necissarily be associated with what you play or how you play it though.

I don't know if I made any sense...
That Cheap Fucking Smile Carries You To Bed

Those Lips Are Social Suicide But I Just Wanna See You Dead.
looking cool increases your playing ability by 20%. didn't you get the memo?
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by JC13
It's a pretty damn obvious answer to this question, because most people tend to associate guitar with rock/metal. Those people also see rockers/metalheads as people with long untamed hair, ripped jeans, and band shirts. When you see a guy with a mullet, a slayer t shirt, and jeans with holes in the knees.. and then you see a guy wearing a golf shirt, khaki pants, thick frame glasses, and hair 2cms long... And are told one of them plays guitar, who do you think plays the guitar? Ask yourself.

the golfer, guys with mullets and ripped jeans can't afford guitars, live in a trailer park and can't read (in general)

guitarists usually have a certain prescence about them, so you should know if they play or not. you probably know what im talking about, or you probably dont
When I play I try ill normally put on some sunnies and a hoody to look like Satch.
Doesnt make me play like him though
Quote by Vornik
Thanks for the advice. I'm going to put it, along with your other advice, into a book, the pages of which I will then use to wipe my ass.
Yeah, I get looks cos I play metal but I wear like a shirt and jeans. I guess I need to grow my hair, dye it black, and wear some kind of thorny costume to fit in really.
My name is Marc! Silly username.