A little while ago I found that when I relaxed, I could actually play quite fast, "shredding" if you will. Now that's all very well and good, but I don't feel as if I can use this effectively or melodically the same way I could at slower speeds.
Thus:

Does anyone have any tips on which notes I should emphasise when shredding (in terms of intervals)? Perhaps any good starting shred licks? Particular modes or scales where the fingering is sympathetic to melodic shred? Apart from Phrygian?
Quote by marmoseti
Mastering your instrument is being able to play whatever you hear in your head, unhindered by inadequate technique. After that, it's all about what you've got to say, so there would be no "best," just a bunch of people saying exactly what they mean.
play a slow melodic solo, and on the last chord of the chord progession play a lightning fast run and end it with a huge bend. that always sounds cool lol

basically when you are playing slow, you can use fast licks and stuff like sweeping to create a little tension
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
For some really good ideas for soloing watch Marty Friedman's 'Melodic Control' on Google Videos. He describes what is going on in his head while soloing. Basically its about following the chords and target notes.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums