I have a basic arpeggiated progression im using as a rhythm for an instrumental as follows:

A Major chord (02220), then change the root (A) to a G# (4X2220), then change it to a F# (2X2220), then back to A. So basically its the same A major notes but the first note of the arpeggio changes.

The second section is an arpeggiated D Major, (0232) played for 2 bars, then every note except the root shifts up one tone to make (0454) for four bars, and back.

Now, I don't know enough about music theory to vary this song any further than basic A Major over the whole lot because I have no idea how to figure out what modes/scales would fit apart from the obvious ones. Although, I have one riff for the second section which starts on an E and finishes on an A, which doesnt sound like its finished? Maybe there is something in that im missing.

Any ideas, hints, etc?
Ibanez S470 (Condor/Pyro/Warthog)
Rockafeller Custom
Laney Lionheart L20H
Framus FR212CB
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss DS-1 (Monte Allum Mod)
Boss DD-6
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone
Dunlop/MXR Phase 90 (Full Script mod)
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+
using sixths can you squeeze this in , if so please let me hear the finished result !

e/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------/
b/----3--------2--------0--------------------------------------------------------/
g/------------------------------------2------------1---------2-------------------/
d/--4---4---2---2---0----0---------------------------------2------------------/
a/--------------------------------4------4----2------2------0------------------/
e/--------------------------------------------------------------------------------/

You could modulate to the relative minor, in this case F#m.

You could use a technique called bogenform, which involves starting on an A section, then having a (different) B section, some more sections (C, D, E), then back to B or a variation of it, then back to your A section (or a variation of it.)

So you could play the A arpeggios, then the D ones, then an E arpeggio (to go I-IV-V), modulate to F#m, then back to the D arpeggios, and finish on the A arpeggios.

Mode wise, you could use A ionian (A major), A mixolydian, A lydian ... and emphasise the roots or thirds of the chords as you change chords.