You're probably all getting bored of these threads and im not helping but i need some advice on a new bass as i din't have any shops around me that sell anything half decent that i can try.

Anyway, I'm 15 in a band that plays heavy music, but outside that i play jazz, blues, funk etc. which i learn from my teacher. I've been playing for 3 years and used the same bass which i had from the start which is some japanese copy. So basically i need a good all round bass. (either 4 or 5 string)

My price range is at the moment £500 ($1000), but i can stretch it as i've got a b-day coming up so i could stretch to £600 ($1200).

It'd be great if you could give me some ideas of what basses i should be looking at.
Just another £75 and you're in MIA Fender territory which I highly recommend, either a precision or jazz bass.

Edit: And Welcome to the bass forum
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
fender percision bass? or jazz bass?
id go with a fender jazz for the blues funk and whatnot, then use a pedal or something to get the heavier sound
idk how much it is though so dontt quote me, but i think its in ur price range
Quote by indie-bassist
Just another £75 and you're in MIA Fender territory which I highly recommend, either a precision or jazz bass.

Edit: And Welcome to the bass forum

why does everyone beat me??
i wanted to be first
and yes welcome to the bass forum
You could get a Geddy Lee Jazz bass for €911 on thomann.de
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
a fender jazz bass...
a schecter stiletto...
a spector legend...
a warwick corvette...

and obviously... if you were willing to save up some more money, and you're actually SERIOUS about playing and your music buy...
A Rickenbacker 4001... nothing beats that... its ****ing expensive though, i know... but its the best bass you can get, i think...
Fender American Precision bass. Get a black one with a maple fretboard, and you get a cookie. It's $1,000 USD.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
you gotta get a fender precision, nothing beats that bass, except maybe a Steve Harris Signature Precision, but good luck finding one of those
If you can, go wariwick. But if you have a guitar shop near ur house, check out every bass in the shop and check yourself, because as much as we can tell you the sound and feel you like may be totally different than ours.
Thanks for the quick responses, so you all recommend the Fender Jazz, I'll have a look around. If anyone else recommends any other basses then that'll be good.
You will need to try them out because like treebranch said, everyone is different. The jazz bass has quite a thin neck whereas the precision neck is quite thick and everybody has their own opinion on this (fat necks FTW!). The jazz bass is definitely more versatile than the precision, but the precision is no one-trick pony, I own one and play many different styles like you and my precision has not let me down tonally at all.
Quote by Bumper

You're a few hundred dollars off a Music Man Stingray but you could definitly get one used. MIA Fenders and Warwicks would also be good, as others have said.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Over here stingrays are around £1000 so quite a way above his price range.
Quote by Bumper

On Ernie Ball forums people are selling them used for about $900 to $1100 USD. If you would cover shipping costs I'm sure someone would be willing to sell you one. That really sucks that they cost so much though. That's about $700 more then what we get them for.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

as said previously, Fender MIA J Bass
SMALL CLONE of the EHX User's Guild

Quote by Ishiga
NOSOUPFORYOU.

Quote by Gurgle!Argh!
this is barely a question. only an idiot would buy a zune.
Quote by indie-bassist
(fat necks FTW!)

Indie-bassist and I like our necks like we like our women, he likes fat girls, I like thin girls

To TS, perhaps consider buying used? You'll get much much more, perhaps even 2x more for your money!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
Indie-bassist and I like our necks like we like our women, he likes fat girls, I like thin girls

To TS, perhaps consider buying used? You'll get much much more, perhaps even 2x more for your money!

You betcha' .

Oooh I hadn't thought of suggesting used, good call .
Quote by Bumper