Anyone have any idea how I'd go about getting one? I'm in Greater Manchester if that's of any importance and I'm 16 in a month and a bit.

Thanks
First google hit:

Sarah Evans, who lives in Manchester, asked

Hi. I've been looking up the need for a busking licence and I can't find any information relating to Chorlton-Cum-Hardy, do you need a licence to busk in Chorlton or does the 2003 act only apply in Manchester city centre? Could you also let me know how you find out what are the free pitching areas in the city centre? If you could also direct me or inform me of how much a licence would be for both Chorlton and the city centre and how you obtain one I'd be really grateful, Thank you, Sarah.
Councillor Neil Swannick, Executive Member for Planning & Environment, replied

Thank you for your recent question via the Council's website regarding a busking licence for Chorlton. I am sorry for the delay in responding.

I am keen to encourage good quality street entertainment because it makes our city more attractive and enjoyable. However, under the Licensing Act 2003, which came into force on 24 November 2005, busking is classed as regulated entertainment. To undertake regulated entertainment, the premises concerned (which can include a street or other open space) must be licensed. This applies to all areas so includes both the city centre and Chorlton.

The good news for buskers is that we have already licensed some parts of the City Centre, so busking can take place in these areas with the permission of the licence holder:

Albert Square St Ann's Square Exchange Square New Cathedral Street Great Northern Square Cathedral Gardens Market Street Lincoln Square Castlefield Roman Fort (incl Castlefield Green)

The licence is held by Manchester City Council's Events Department and you should contact Mr M Parrott (m.parrott@manchester.gov.uk) if you wish to seek permission to busk in one of these areas.

If you wanted to busk in areas not currently covered by a premises licence then currently you would have to apply for a premises licence yourself. You must be aged 18 or over. You would have to complete an application form and an operating schedule which you would send to the Licensing Unit at Manchester City Council.

I will be discussing with the relevant Council officers whether Manchester City Council should license other areas of the city, including Chorlton.

1 August 2006
Quote by ElephantTalk
You contact your local council.

Busking is one step away from begging. Discuss.
Disagree. Its about giving music to the people.
Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Disagree. Its about giving music to the people.

lol most buskers i hear are crap. It is pretty much considered begging in a lot of countries.
Quote by ElephantTalk
You contact your local council.

Bingo.
Terms and Conditions apply.
I quite like it personally - I'd rather listen to someone playing Sultan of Swing over some chav couple Bickering any day...
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
me and my band have considered becoming a 'busk band'
Quote by Jonjy2
Haha! You are awesome Bucketbotman!! Lolz!!

+100

I CAN PUT MY FOOT BEHIND MY HEAD!

Gear
Ibanez RG370DX special edition!
Tanglewood Oddessy Acoustic
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960's A slant cab
Fender 40W amp
Dunlop Crybaby
As a regular busker I'll offer what I can.

And that is, of course, the simple answer: go and see your local council. When I did it, they merely gave me a rule sheet and that was it. Many people tell me you need a liscence, but - as I said - I busk reguarly and have never been pulled up over it.
Be a bit wary though: in some instances people are shitheads and will just take money out of your case while you're performing.

As to the guy who said busking is a step above begging: no. Begging would be sitting down and just asking passers-by for money. Busking involves you actually doing something; you're playing music and if people like it or the song they'll throw money in the case/hat/cup or whatever.
As far as i know (and this could change by area) the standard is that it is fine in a public place as long as you aren't amplified, aren't blocking traffic/people, and aren't disturbing anyone.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by cashewchaching
As far as i know (and this could change by area) the standard is that it is fine in a public place as long as you aren't amplified, aren't blocking traffic/people, and aren't disturbing anyone.

And don't do anything that might offend people.

I got a warning from the police this Saturday just gone because I sang the word 'fucking' in Lennon's 'Working Class Hero'.