Page 1 of 2
why do people, bands, and sound guys always insist and swear by playing so loud for exteneded periods of time. I like rock music as much as the next guy. but why does it have to be so loud? I went to a concert and I felt my pantlegs shaking from the mere concussive waves from the drums and bass etc. In my opinion loudness makes the song worse. it sounds too distorted (in a bad way). you can't make out lyrics , rythm guitar sounds almost non-existent. you have tostrain your ear to even notice the rythm guitar.

WHY SO LOUD?
well otherwise u would hear people speakin over the band :P
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
because people don't go to shows to listen to the superb tone and musical arrangement, they go to shows to jump around and mosh/dance/crowd surf and basically escape life for a few hours while their favorite band attempts to break their eardrums.

If you want to listen to a band, get a CD, but if you want to experience raw unleashed rock music, go to a concert.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
The band you heard was probably not mixed well by the sound guys. The Who were louder than any concert I've ever been to, and the sound quality was awesome.
Love in technicolour, sprayed out on walls
Well I've been pounding at the pavement
'Til there's nothing at all
I got my cloak and dagger
In a bar room brawl
See the local loves a fighter
Loves a winner to fall
because its so f*cking avsome!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace."
- Jimi Hendrix (R.I.P)

"Nobody dies a virgin... Life fucks us all."
- Kurt Donald Cobain (R.I.P)
The band you heard was probably not mixed well by the sound guys. The Who were louder than any concert I've ever been to, and the sound quality was awesome.

yeah ive heard that...

now muse rocks no matter what, but loud and live is where they shine
The way it usually goes with my friend's band is this... First, the drummer overpowers the guitars, vocalist, and bassist. The guitars crank their gain and volume up to get their tone "just right". Then the bassist realizes that nobody can hear him and he turns his knob to 11. The vocalist can't even hear himself, and assumes nobody else can as well, even though they can. He turns the PA system up and suddenly nobody can hear the drummer. He then mics his bass drum and plays harder. It's a vicious cycle.
So, sound quality can be fixed with mxing the boards the right way. Well, I knew that but thanks. Also, why do people want to damage their hearing so they became deaf, that's my real question I guess.
Playing loud prevents hecklers from being a problem, at least audibly.
By myself I dont play loud.
At a small gig, you have to turn up the volume to match the drums and the crowd.
At a huge concert with tens of thousands of people you have to be loud enough for the music to carry everywhere and for it to drown out the crowd (which despite the sound you'll still hear quite loud - singing along, cheering etc.)
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Quote by neptune1988
So, sound quality can be fixed with mxing the boards the right way. Well, I knew that but thanks. Also, why do people want to damage their hearing so they became deaf, that's my real question I guess.

why would somedody drink alcohol?
why would somebody smoke cigarettes?
why would somebody ride a motorcycle?

they may be harmful or potentially dagerous, but people just love the thrill, or the kick they get from stuff like that.
"Marty Friedman > You" Club.

Quote by CoreysMonster

Buy the toilet Hendrix crapped in for the full "Jimi Hendrix Experience"

PM me if you think my drummer looks like angry kid

so far 61 people think he looks like angry kid
Quote by Sid McCall
because people don't go to shows to listen to the superb tone and musical arrangement, they go to shows to jump around and mosh/dance/crowd surf and basically escape life for a few hours while their favorite band attempts to break their eardrums.

If you want to listen to a band, get a CD, but if you want to experience raw unleashed rock music, go to a concert.

Pretty much... But I agree it can get out of hand sometime. Especially if the mix is bad.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
If you don't want to go deaf, wear earplugs to the concert. Sometimes they even filter the sound and make it sound better.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Phill-Rock
By myself I dont play loud.
At a small gig, you have to turn up the volume to match the drums and the crowd.
At a huge concert with tens of thousands of people you have to be loud enough for the music to carry everywhere and for it to drown out the crowd (which despite the sound you'll still hear quite loud - singing along, cheering etc.)

Atmosphere?

An open air stadium gig would be quite crap if you couldn't feel the sound reverberating through you

POWER!!!!

Plus one loud gigs not going to really damage your hearing as you're not going every week to ultra loud ones
because if your ears aren't bleeding, they're doing it wrong

Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
well there IS such a thing as too loud.

but when you play loud (and this is especially true for tube amps) things will sound sonically better. the speakers break up real nice.. the tubes are full saturated with sound and pumping out their wonderful glorious tone.

but with the amps so loud.. everyone else will have to compensate but turning up/yelling/drumming just a little bit harder.

but i know what you mean tho.. i've read an article in recording books about how people enjoy louder albums better. an example would be that if you were to take a rock or metal album from ten years ago and compare it to a rock or metal album today.. chances are you'll like the album from today. (not material wise.. just think sound quality). however if you were to make that old album just as LOUD as the new album. nine times out of ten. you'll enjoy the older album more. simply because of DYNAMIC RANGE.

a lot of engineers and people who record in general (myself included) are kind of in a race to see who can make the loudest CD. as a result the dynamic range is lost.. making a lot of cds almost tiring to listen to.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
awesome, thanks everyone, I understand now. I guess it's a matter of preference and type of gig. right?
Difficult to say something is too loud at a big gig, or at a festival etc. Cos the space could be so huge, it needs to be loud so the sound will carry to everyone at the back.

If a band is playing a club gig or whatever, and sometimes its a band just starting out, their sound can be horrible. You ask everyone if they want to hear loud noises, or hear good music - i think the answer should be obvious, but i suppose there are some retards out there. It's **** when you're at a gig and the sound distorts into mush. You can't hear the bass lines, the guitars, or how bad the singer is. Normally the drums is the clearest thing, most of the time cos they aren't being mic'd or anything.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
Quote by permanentmarker
why would somedody drink alcohol?
why would somebody smoke cigarettes?
why would somebody ride a motorcycle?

they may be harmful or potentially dagerous, but people just love the thrill, or the kick they get from stuff like that.

I ride my motorcycle because its cheaper to own and maintain than my car....
Everyone one of us has heard the call.......................

Except you........

Pussy
[IMG]http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/7971/ugsig7ej.gif[/IMG]
It's a valid question, but I find if it's not loud, there's absolutely no energy to it. It could be the most energetic song in the world, but if you can barely make out the kick of the bass drum, the palm muting chugs, and all that, it's not energetic. I love my music with kick to it. I can feel the bass drum, the bass is vibrating through me, the guitars sound so clear.. that it why people love loud music. It has more kick, and gives off more energy, making it funner to listen to.

Find your favorite pump up song. Play it really quiet, then play it loud. Which sounds better and gives you more energy?
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
Quote by Sid McCall

Amen!
I love how know one has yet provided a logical answer to his question. All of the answers are somewhere along the lines of "be a man" and "don't be a pussy" and "people ride motorcycles".

I honestly have no answer for you either, but like someone else said, getting a good pair of ear plugs is probably the best solution. That way, you can let the morons have their ear-damaging volume and you can have the volume you want.
Quote by JoeBender
I love how know one has yet provided a logical answer to his question. All of the answers are somewhere along the lines of "be a man" and "don't be a pussy" and "people ride motorcycles".

I honestly have no answer for you either, but like someone else said, getting a good pair of ear plugs is probably the best solution. That way, you can let the morons have their ear-damaging volume and you can have the volume you want.

*Ahem* I believe I did on the first page.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Quote by Phill-Rock
*Ahem* I believe I did on the first page.

Well.... at least I provided a solution!

I seriously feel like I'm the only one here who doesn't like music really loud though. Like, those frickin stores at the mall where you can actually see the store windows vibrating, I don't find that to be needed.

Of course I like my music KINDA loud, but when its at the point of causing ear damage, thats where I draw the line.
Quote by JoeBender
Well.... at least I provided a solution!

I seriously feel like I'm the only one here who doesn't like music really loud though. Like, those frickin stores at the mall where you can actually see the store windows vibrating, I don't find that to be needed.

Of course I like my music KINDA loud, but when its at the point of causing ear damage, thats where I draw the line.

I bring earplugs to all concerts just in case I have a headache, or its really loud etc.

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish

Loud music, in a venue packed with people, your chest shaking with the music, that's rock 'n' roll. It fills you with energy, you kinda forget you're surrounded by thousands of people until everything explodes and everyone is loving the music.

Also, on a less romantic wavelength...so you can hear the band over the crowd.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Made Of Metal
because all men play on 10.

\m/ Manowar \m/

Manowar is actually in the world record books for the loudest band on earth. I think they were measured to be 129.3 decibels. at that rate, you can get permanent hearing damage in 0.9 seconds.
Tube amps sound better when you crank them.(Opinion)
Loud music pumps me up.
It probably pumps other people up too.
Concerts/gigs don't have the best sound quality because there're not studios.
Why did you go to one if you don't like loud music?
I don't always post in the threads but when I do its random and pointless because I'm ignorant enough to think you care.
I guess I'm one of the few people that wholeheartedly agrees with the OP. I really can't stand going to concerts because I don't like to jump around and act like a jackass. I like to be able to hear the music, not some wall of noise. That's why I sit in my quiet room when I listen to music.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
Quote by Zofar

Manowar is actually in the world record books for the loudest band on earth. I think they were measured to be 129.3 decibels. at that rate, you can get permanent hearing damage in 0.9 seconds.

yup, they ****ing slay.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Quote by Sid McCall

that is the truest thing ever said on UG

Quote by alteredstates
If you are rowing down the road in your canoe and your wagon wheel falls off. How many pancakes does it take to make a doghouse?

Green, because a vest has no sleeves.

Can't we all just get a bong?
Quote by Zofar

This is the ****ing stupidest thing I've ever heard. For ****s sake, once you're deaf it isn't funny anymore.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
Page 1 of 2