what are some good scales and patterns for soloing in metal?
(signature removed, please choose another)
this thread has been done a million times before. try searching for "metal scales".
none. Go the hendrix way imo, try something original.

So the minor pentatonic then?

Why do people seem to think Hendrix was some magic guitar pixie thing beyond our comprehension? He wasn't, he was a damn good guitarist who'd done some serious time working round the blues and jazz clubs - at heart he was a blues player though, and most of his stuff is based around the minor pentatonic, he just had the imagination to do some really trippy things with it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by blue_strat at Jun 24, 2007,
"he just had the imagination to do some really trippy things with it"

that is why he is loved...

at least for me, everytime i listen to a major song of his i find another thing to incorporate into my stuff....

and to TS...search ftw
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
ALL THE HARMONIC MINOR MODES and phrygian locrian aeolian modes
"he just had the imagination to do some really trippy things with it"

that is why he is loved...

at least for me, everytime i listen to a major song of his i find another thing to incorporate into my stuff....

and to TS...search ftw

+ loads

I just got annoyed at an ignorant post that was trying to be clever, TS asked for scale advice and he got back "be original like hendrix". Hendrix was pretty conventional as far has his CHOICE of scale goes, but the implementation of that scale was arguably better than anyone that's been before or since.

That's why any posts about "boring pentatonics" frustrate the hell out of me, if you play boring stuff in the minor pentatonic then you'll play boring stuff in the Phrygian, Locrian and Hungarian bloody minor too!

Scales don't make an interesting player, and you're far better doing your time with the minor pentatonic to see just how much you can squeeze out of it before going into modes and stuff. Otherwise you just end up running up and down your myriad "interesting" scales rather than learning how to make five "boring" notes sound fresh each time you play them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com