Ok some of you who helped me last time will know what I was confused about. I ended up formatting my computer,

Long story short, I need to know what I need to use the internet safely again. I mean I know that I need anti-virus software and to set up a firewall,but I haven't got a clue how to lol. I know I can connect to the internet cause we run a wireless connection for the computers in our house. This is what I'm most bothered about, as I can get my software and eveything else from friends.

So any advice on what anti-virus to use, and setting a firewall up? (I heard sometimes firewalls can cause problems connecting to the internet, is this true?)

Thanks guys!

-Toby
Well, this is what I have on my computer:

Firefox
AVG Anti-Virus
Windows Defender
Ad-Aware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
CCleaner
Hijackthis

and I just use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
Quote by Metal claw
Well, this is what I have on my computer:

Firefox
AVG Anti-Virus
Windows Defender
Ad-Aware
Spybot
Spywareblaster
CCleaner
Hijackthis

and I just use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.

Everything except the Windows Defender is good. I hate WD,

I have Norton All in one.
I use firefox when on the internet with ad-block plus
I am extremely careful with downloads.
A firewall is much more important than a virus scanner.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
Skip all that bull****, install Linux.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Smokey Amp
A firewall is much more important than a virus scanner.

Because a Firewall is like a condom, whereas a virus scanner is like a trip to your doctor following the aftermath.
Quote by TobyFellrunners
Right, so if I just set a firewall up, I'll be safe to go online?

Yup. I don't have an anti-virus on my computer, they're such memory hogs.
Proud owner of an Engl Thunder 50 Reverb and an Ibanez S470

"The end is extremely fucking nigh..."
if u have comcast internet than u can get mcafee security center for free, if not try avg? ive heard of something called like nod32 i think, idr but its supposed to be good
<Raven> I got so baked last night
<Raven> that I WOKE UP high o_o
<Raven> Do you have any idea how euphoric that is?
<Raven> I felt like I was being born.
Cool, will there be a tutorial when I start to set one up on my PC? I know this sounds really stupid but I'm just making sure my PC doesn't go tits up like it did the last time lol. Cheers for the help guys!
I run

AVG Anti Virus (Good Free Program)
Spybot Search and Destroy (Another Good Free One)
Adaware SE Personal (Free)

they work really well...i like them because their free and they get the job done nicely.
Quote by HaKattack
Wait a second..how did KoRn get you into metal? That's like Nancy Reagan getting you into heroin addiction and prostitution!
Despite what some people here seem to think, there IS such a thing as excessive protection. In a lot of ways running all those apps makes you more vulnerable. One of the highest activity worms we have circulating now exploits a vulnerability in an antivirus.

You need to choose one good one, I prefer Trend Micro or NOD32, and stick with it. Then choose a firewall, then find a web based virus scanner and use it (housecall.trendmicro.com is good) regularly as well. Anything more than that is just excessive.

Don't listen to the open source fanboys either, Firefox is no more secure than IE, use what you prefer, just be sure to keep it patched. I would avoid Opera or Safari though. I personally use firefox for the interface and plugins, but there is no security advantage to using Firefox over IE.

My recommendation is to buy NOD32, bookmark http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ and find a worthwhile firewall (My only complaint with NOD32 is that it doesn't have one). You'll be fine with that and you won't have 20% of your resources hogged by AVs.

Quote by Muphin
Skip all that bull****, install Linux.

Yea, because you don't need a firewall or AV on linux /sarcasm
Last edited by LordSephiroth at Jun 25, 2007,