Read the ****ing sticky.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Read the ****ing sticky.

hey shut up he asked a ****ing question he needs to be answered he didnt ask for some dick to hassle him with somethig that doesnt even matter
Quote by jakethemetsfan
What are modes?
Should I learn them?
What are some good ones to know?

ty!

Well, honestly the sticky does a good job of explaining modes...

Basically modes were around before scales were.. hence the greek names. The first mode is the exact same as the major scale. When you take a scale; say the C major scale and play all the notes in the scale starting on the first note in the scale ( C ), you get the first mode.

By playing all the notes of the C major scale, but starting on the second note of the C major scale and ending on that same note, you get the second mode. So on and so forth. You see that when you get to the 6th mode, (at least i think it's 6th) it's exactly the same as the natural minor scale.

You use the modes for different types of music, just like you would use major for majory sounding things and minor for minory sounding things.

Edit: That will help you understand modes, but you don't want to think of them that way when you practice them. They have specific intervals between the notes, just like other scales.
Last edited by Mouse25314 at Jun 24, 2007,
Quote by That-Funny-Guy
hey shut up he asked a ****ing question he needs to be answered he didnt ask for some dick to hassle him with somethig that doesnt even matter

There's a big thread that says "read before posting" that explains modes. We get 50 different people a day in here that refuse to read it and post the exact same question over and over and over. It's irritating.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by That-Funny-Guy

Seriously, we get so many threads that could be answered in the sticky. We get annoyed by so many of them, because people don't bother to read it. Now, if the thread starter said "I was reading the sticky, and I didn't understand this..." or something along the lines of that, the that would be acceptable.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by 696
i renember when i was a total ****ing theory noob

well what did you do to change that?
cause every time i try and get started on theory i forget bits and i cant really see a way to use thoery in my solos or riff, i usually just improvise and use my ear. I think ive got quite a good ear, and thats part of why my theory has been so back, like for examply im a guitarist and me and my other guitarist will go and muck around on the piano working out certain guitar tunes..

Hell work out the actuall notes and intervalls, but ill just get on there and work it out by ear. We both do it about the same time too... Please dont flame me, id really like to get onto some theory.. thanks...
Quote by Galvanise69
cause every time i try and get started on theory i forget bits and i cant really see a way to use thoery in my solos or riff, i usually just improvise and use my ear. I think ive got quite a good ear, and thats part of why my theory has been so back, like for examply im a guitarist and me and my other guitarist will go and muck around on the piano working out certain guitar tunes..

Hell work out the actuall notes and intervalls, but ill just get on there and work it out by ear. We both do it about the same time too... Please dont flame me, id really like to get onto some theory.. thanks...

Well, I think what your problem is, is that you're learning theory too fast and theres a lack of examples given. Theory takes time and a ton of examples to fully explain what your learning. Try taking a week on one mode alone. Lets say you take Lydian mode (1 2 3 #4 5 6 7, 4th mode of major) and plan everything out. Many guitarist know theory, but dont know how to apply it. So take a week to do research and learn as much as you can about a particular mode. Learn all the tonic (root) chords you can put under the scale and the different colors that each interval/note gives. Learn how the mode is mapped out on the fretboard and how to go from one area to another by using the mode.

You can do the same with chords. Plan out your week to work on some 7th chords and memorize as many shapes as possible. Plan a week (or a month!) to work on things you want to learn.
DANNY

hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
holy **** guys, srry for asking a freakin question w/o reading the sticky i'll do that next time. thank you to the guys that helped me.
Quote by bluesrocker101
Well, I think what your problem is, is that you're learning theory too fast and theres a lack of examples given. Theory takes time and a ton of examples to fully explain what your learning. Try taking a week on one mode alone. Lets say you take Lydian mode (1 2 3 #4 5 6 7, 4th mode of major) and plan everything out. Many guitarist know theory, but dont know how to apply it. So take a week to do research and learn as much as you can about a particular mode. Learn all the tonic (root) chords you can put under the scale and the different colors that each interval/note gives. Learn how the mode is mapped out on the fretboard and how to go from one area to another by using the mode.

You can do the same with chords. Plan out your week to work on some 7th chords and memorize as many shapes as possible. Plan a week (or a month!) to work on things you want to learn.

Got a good recommendation for a mode to start with?
Quote by Galvanise69
Got a good recommendation for a mode to start with?

Major/Ionian.
DANNY

Yes.

Remember the forumulas for each of the modes and it'll become easier to change at any time.
"Only the dead have seen the end of the war..."
Read the sticky.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje