I cannot decide which guitar would be best for my style of music. I play alternative rock, hard rock, classic rock, punk, indie metal, a wide variety of rock based music. I was thinking about a fender mustang, or a gibson sg, LP, or flying V. Suggestions with reasons why I should take your advice please. Thanks a bunch!
i have a fender mustang and it is awesome for that stuff. its great. and besides, everyone has a gibson les paul, sg, or flying v. so be different like i did and get the mustang. not many people have them.
My Gear:
1969 Fender Mustang Reissue
Fender DG-5 Acoustic
Washburn House of Blues
Fender Blues Junior
ProCo Rat Distortion
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Ehh well based on the info you gave us I'd go with an LP of your choices. They can handle anything you throw at them from my experiece. NIce heafty guitars that have a great variety of tones for different genres of music based on your amp and pups. I just dislike Gibson's. Especially their new models and newer built instruments. I persoanlly think quuality has dropped in the past couple years like other people have said. My major beef with Gibson though is their necks. I really really hate Gibson necks. I't the whole combination of the fretboard radius, neck profile and fret size that gets me really. That is just a comfort issue for me and will be up to you once you play the guitar. By the way what is your price range?
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
I would go with the Les Paul,many artists use it in the genre's you listed.The Mustang would be okay too,but,the single coils could be kinda weak for indie metal.plus the les paul is very versatile,from clean to distortion i think,and if you want more versatility,just swap one of the pick ups out for something else.
Quote by aiiiaaa
what's your price range?

hopefully under 700 dollars. thanks for the input!
id say SG or LP, depending on which feels more comfortable to you
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
well it kinda depends on ur amp too, LP's or most any guitar with humbuckers tends to be better at heavier stuff or more distorted stuff. Such as more rock and roll sort of things. if you going for a cleaner sound go with the mustang, though. I play rock and i have a fat strat which has both single coils and a bucker mixed in so it has a good variety of tones, but when i turn it to just the single coils, there is no way i could rock-out. i have to turn the switch back to the bucker to get a full sound.

To sum that long paragraph up. if you want more rock, go LP/V if you want more blues, brighter and clean sounds, go mustang.
Quote by Johansensan
sir, i would like to inform you that you are now my favorite UGer. Not only did you use the word y'all, which is native to my homeland, but you correctly punctuated it using the apostrophe.

Christian Guitarists
A Weekly Devotional
I would have to go with the SG. Obviusly I have, because its sound is almost like the Les paul, which is great, except its very light and versitile. Also, it looks great!
Gear-

Gibson Standard SG
Vox AD30VT
Bursewood stratknockoff

Lead guitarist of the band Longplay!

Put this in your sig if you think Fall Out Boy are posers and should go to hell!

Rap SUCKS!!!! Rock n Roll baby...
would it be a good sort of compromise if i put a stacked humbucker in the bridge of the mustang for more distorted stuff?
go for the SG. Les pauls are a bit heavy for indie...
edit: SGs are also great for punk
edit 2: Sgs are also great for hard rock, classic rock and alternative rock.
Sg IMO

They are solid, REALLY solid guitars.

Mustangs...don't they have some sort of tricky whammy bars?
I don't even shred
Quote by Nebjy

Mustangs...don't they have some sort of tricky whammy bars?

yeah, those are the ones.
Quote by paper shredder
go for the SG. Les pauls are a bit heavy for indie...
edit: SGs are also great for punk
edit 2: Sgs are also great for hard rock, classic rock and alternative rock.

+1 the SG would be perfect for you.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by varnen
would it be a good sort of compromise if i put a stacked humbucker in the bridge of the mustang for more distorted stuff?

nobody answered my question back here.
With what you listed as your play-style here is my advice that will leave all the "get this or get that" out. You will want a 2 humbucker setup. with that said you can choose anything that fits your tastes on looks and such. If you put 2 humbuckers in anything decent over 500.00 you will be fine. I have 2 schecters (hellraiser & classic) and it sounds like a sg, lp, basicly all 2 humbuckers guitars. you get your basic sound from the pickup configuration with the minor differences in the necks, body wood, etc.

why do you think the following have the basic sound that they do

basic tele - 2 single coils
basic strat - 3 single coils
lp - 2 humbuckers

2cents
i was gonna recommend an LP, but then i saw fender mustang on there, get that and put a seymour duncan JB hot rails humbucker on the bridge and you'll be fine
my books myspace
Here
read it, new chapter added every 2 weeks
get a schecter 006 deluxe.

i have one it plays really well. It comes straight from the factory with great action and is pretty versatile. the stock pickups are kinda muddy, so i would replace them.

but its a great guitar for $400.
Member #10 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance