I'm kinda confused with bass lines. I've heard that it is really just playing a scale in order, and i know my scales fairly well. Also, i've heard of "walking" up to a note. Is this just some kind of bass line. If anyone could give me some help on how to use bass lines that would be great
A bass line is just what the bassist plays during a song. It doesn't have to be a scale. A single not held out for 60 seconds is a bass line. Walking is just pretty much a technique mainly recognized by straight quarter notes.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
thanks. One other thing, ill be playing a song where ill have to hold a note for a long time and it starts to fade before i go to a different note, is there anything i can do?
There are compressor pedals that would let you prolong those notes.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I'm not sure. I've always been under the impression that compressor pedals add sustain. Delay pedals just repeat the notes, not make them last longer.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Compressors help make everything a uniform volume, by bringing quieter sounds up and lower sounds down. I could've sworn I've heard that they increase sustain, too.
<Han> I love Hitler
Quote by corrylb19
thanks. One other thing, ill be playing a song where ill have to hold a note for a long time and it starts to fade before i go to a different note, is there anything i can do?

Make sure your fretting finger doesn't move, this will cause the note to tail off prematurely. Also you could play hard or say if the note was a whole play at the half too but play softly so you get the sustain but can't hear the pluck.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9