So this summer, i'm working at about $250 per week, so i'm gonna try to build a guitar. I only have $500 now on me, but i'm waiting for about 6 paychecks of $500 or so . I anticipate that many of the teenagers here are really bored from summer, like me, so here's the intro/story...

I'm an amateur Blues/Classic Rock guitarist, loving Fender Stratocasters, but for the love of Classic Rock tone, I always wanted a Les Paul with humbuckers. However; as most of you know, Strats have really skinny necks, that people either love, or hate. I really hate the concept of HSS strats, with humbucker in the bridge position. I think it's lame, and I want something that was kind of a Classic Rock Staple (definitely in this case, a Les Paul).

However; like me, strat users find it really difficult to move to another guitar with a fatter neck. Although, I thought it would be pricey, I really want a Les Paul style guitar. I've heard about Epiphones and Agiles, but they still have fat necks. I've tried various Epiphones and Gibsons at a local Guitar Center (5 mins away) and I found all of them way too fat for my hand. I play in the so-called "blues grip" that leave the thumb over the neck, which needs a skinnier fender-y neck to get comfortable with.

Then I went for Warmoth.com. They make custom necks that I really want, and the bodies that I really want. The neck won't be too thick, from the massive reading/research I did from their website. I've picked some specs, put it together, and calculated some prices. I also got some stuff off other vendors for cheaper more quality plates, jacks and such.

Specs and Prices:
Warmoth.com
Warmoth Les Paul Neck
-25.5" scale
-Warmoth "Pro" Construction $229.00
-Les Paul Peghead Shape
-Right Hand
-Neck Wood: Mahogany
-Fingerboard: Ebony
-Width of neck at nut: 1-5/8"
-Standard Thin Neck Contour
-Gotoh/Grover tuner holes
-Fretwire: Nickel/Silver 6105
-Inlay: Trapezoid $90.00
-Neck Binding: Cream $110.00
-White Corian Nut $25.00
-Straight 9.5" Neck Radius $35.00
-Predrilled Mounting Holes
-All Clear Gloss Finish (only back, no finish on fretboard) $105.00

********************************** Neck-Total: $594.00 ************

Warmoth Les Paul Body
-Les Paul Style Body $305.00
-Body Wood: Mahogany/Mahogany
-Laminate Top: Quilted Maple
-Carved Top
-Gotoh Brand Stopbar and Tune-o-matic bridge rout
-Rear Rout Control Cavity
-Humbucker/Humbucker routing combination
-Regular 4 pot hole location
-Jack hole diameter: 7/8"
-Contoured Heel
-Paint Color: Tobacco Burst $220.00
-Transparent Finish
-Natural Body Binding $55.00

********************************* Body-Total: $580.00 *************

Warmoth Hardware
-Tune-O-Matic Bridge: TOM1C Crome $18.00
-Stopbar: STP1C $14.00
-Toggle Switch Surround: LPSP1C $1.25
-Neck Screws 2x2 long/short Chrome: S7 $2.60
-Humbucker Mounting Rings: S16 $2.40

********************************* Hardware-Total: $38.25 **********

********************************* Warmoth.com Subtotal: 1,212.25 **
********************************* Warmoth.com Shipping: 23.50 *****
********************************* Warmoth.com Total: $1,235.75 ****

GuitarFetish.com
-Grover Style Chrome 3x3 Tuner set: $21.95
-Les Paul Upgrade Electrical component Kit: $22.95
-Gold Bell Tophat knobs x4: $11.95
-Rectangular Curved Output Plate: $4.95
-Pair Cream Curved Bottom Staggered Pickup Rings: $4.95

********************************* Sub-Total: $66.75 ***************
********************************* Shipping: $8.00 *****************
********************************* GuitarFetish.com: $72.75 ********

MusiciansFriend.com
Pickups
-Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro w/ gold cover Neck $108.95
-Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro w/ gold cover Bridge $108.95

********************************* Sub-Total: $217.90 **************
********************************* Shipping+Tax: $0.00 *************
********************************* MusiciansFriend.com: $217.90 ****

********************************* Grand Total: $1526.40 ***********

Did I miss anything I need? couple of screws and accessories come with the neck/body, but please point out stuff I missed. And it's going to be pickguard-less.

Any recommendation would be awesome, just give me your opinion

It came out just over $1,500 with tax, and I'm really happy that it came out under Gibson's Standard Les Pauls that annoy me with their really chunky necks. Also, I won't be wasting any pickups that I dislike, or anything.

Like I said, I'm not going for this project right away, but I will. I think it'd be a really fun summer project, and I'll definitely come back with some reviews about Warmoth. Thanks for reading and happy rockin'!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Jun 25, 2007,
ya. the necks are really pricey.
ohhh thats what i forgot. the body is gonna have natural binding, which they say it's just un painted/stained part at the tip of the body.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Ah, false binding. *shrugs* Alright. Works for me. I'd just take off the binding cause it's cheaper... Haha. Seriously though, stainless steel frets...Some people report that they have tinny or overly bright tone with them. I haven't had the4 displeasure/pleasure of playing one...But somthing to think about. (Man, I wish someone carried the Parker Fly series...)
that's extremely flashy guitar. lol >.<

the wizard neck is too thin for me. I don't play shred, and it doesn't have to be "thin". it just has to be skinny.
i liked the gloss on the website, but it might look better in satin for mahogany/ebony neck.

thanks.

edit: whoa okay u pushed me far enough to take out the stainless steel. $20 for strings!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Last edited by ECistheBest at Jun 25, 2007,
Haha. It's a small savings, but it's still savings. Plus I think pure nickel sounds better anyway. Smoother distortion due it being less attracted by the magnets. Warmer sound, too. I think it brings out subtle nuances in your playing, too. Plus, they're easier on your frets. Snake Oil Brand, D'Addario XL's, and DR Pure Blues sets are all good, IMO.
And it's not an extremely flashy guitar, it's an extremely expensive guitar. O.O
no not the guitar im making lol. and i don't think its that expensive...
its worth...
a Standard Gibson LP ($2200?) - $700. about.

not extremely expensive. but it'd be on my specs. Way better guitar to play than a GIbson LP for me.

and i was talking flashy guitar for this: http://stores.ebay.com.au/Guitar-Easy/Custom-Guitars.html
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
really??? oh hahaha sorry.

its... all chrome. and it says it has a birdseye maple top. but its covered in chrome ;(

and that onboard electronics is crazy. how short would a regular 9volt battery last?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Who knows. It's a ridiculous guitar. I barely have enough time to use my series/parallel switches during songs, haha.

BTW, don't forget you'll need wire and such for the electronics..also, I'd get better capacitors. I don't like ceramic caps. Polyester or metallized poly film would be better. Also, consider installing a treble bleed control. makes the volume control much more usable.

EDIT: WTF is the point of the bird's eye maple then??
i have wire, poly film caps, and i've done the treble bleed mod too
it does make the volume control much more usable. but the only concern is... sometimes too trebly lol.

thanks.

EDIT: seriously.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
im thinkin' of .022uF but i have a .047 on my strat, and it cuts way too much. i might try a .01uF for my strat... but for the LP, i'm thinkin' .022uF or maybe .01uF.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh ahhahaa for the treble bleed cap i was thinkin' .0001uF or sumtin tho... where did u get .033uF?

and i have a 500k master tone knob on my strat
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Master? Heh? What do your other controls do? Oh. midboost. I see. How is that? GFS one?

I used .001uf for my treble bleed cap. Anything is fair game, though, really. You could use a .068uF, if you wanted to.
And I got these "Bumblebee cap workalikes" from singlecoil.com. Polystyrene, I believe...Dunno if they're any different than normal poly film caps...But there's tons of mojo!
haha the mid boost is the guitarfetish.com one. i don't think its GFS... but its from that site im not sure.

what would a higher/lower value on the treble bleed cap do? im not really sure what it does...

and Bumblebee caps are really cool. and i love that website singlecoil.com
im gonna try that thing with the steel plate under my strat pickups to add more edge.

bumblebees or tropical fish caps are the coolest ones. i've researched about it, and it seems like they're really nice
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^Ya, but you know how guitarists perpetuate mojo and legend. (in reference to the bumblebee caps) I've heard that the material of the cap does nothing, due to the guitar's passive circuit...Except I believe ceramic ones are more prone to noise.

yeah, I'm gonna try that metal plate thing too. I think I want more twang in my bridge pickup.

I'm not sure about the treble bleed cap, I've only used .001uF, and was satified with it. I assume it affects different frequencies? Only one way to find out...
haha yea i see. ima go to sleep for today. got work to raise fund for my custom Les Paul

and good night!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
This thread has made me want a strat twice as much as I already did, DAMN YOUS!!!

But the thin neck les paul Ideas good, the thing that turns me away from LPs are the necks, I'm a fender guy like you, (Pity I don't own one ) but I find PRS are a nice alternative to Gibson for single cut guitars (IMO PRS SC>Fender Tele>Gibson LP) When I can afford I'll probably end up with a PRS SE Singlecut
I really find PRS fretboards really flat. that's why i don't like'em. nice guitars anyway. but yea.

Go for a strat. it won't let you down
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
what are people's thoughts on ebody fretboard? would a rosewood be better?

also, pickups. should i be going for the PAFs? or are slash pickups okay...?
i want to get them in bare, or in chrome covers.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Warmoth is ripping you off. What I would do is cut out the inlays and binding: that's 200 there. Or if you must have inlays, then lose the binding at least.

Next: finish it yourself. It's not terribly hard, you can always try again, and you'll save about 300 bucks.

Just my opinion, but you could easily save money in those little areas, and make it feel more like "your" guitar.

That's just what I'd do, though. If you really want all that stuff, then go ahead. It'll still be higher quality than a gibson.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by ECistheBest
I really find PRS fretboards really flat. that's why i don't like'em. nice guitars anyway. but yea.

Go for a strat. it won't let you down

I don't know how you can dislike PRS!

But yeah I'm gettin myself a strat eventually, just a 'homebuilt' strat body + strat neck job at first.