I've been looking into getting a new amp and my local guitar store has a 5150 combo (60 watts) that i am interested in but I was wondering:

-can i get a good clean sound out of it
-can i get a good distortion sound out of it
-is $800 a good deal for a used 5150

I know that I should go and play it myself but I have not had a chance to yet and was wondering what you guys thought.

If it helps I play everything from southern rock to metal so i need an amp with some tonal variety.
I havent personaly played one yet but the guys at my local music store say its awsome (it is eddie van Halens amp!) See if yopu can haggle a bit for it. If you show up with 700 in cash it should do it.
My Gear:

Fender 2008 American Series Standard Stratocaster
Hand Made Acoustic Guitar (made by my uncle)
Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 with maestro trem
BOSS DS-1
Boss DD-6
Dunlop Crybaby Classic Wah
Peavey Bandit
The 5150 is THE metal amp in my opinion

Pure tight aggressive tone, its very solid state like in response no sag whatsoever such as a mesa or something like that. It's got the classic can of bees metal tone metal heads love!

I had a chance to get one for 500 bucks with a 4x12 cab.. passed it up
dont worry dude, ive passed up on killer deals before too because i didnt have the cash. like a mesa dual recto half stack for $2000. i hated myself for not getting it
IMO $800, is a lil bit high for a used 5150. I got mine used for about $450, but then again, thats probably a one in a lifetime bargain
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
My amp was 600. It' amazing. Go for it.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
I picked mine up for 500 (Just the head). I'm telling you right now, If they were selling for 2 grand on eBay everywhere else, I would still buy one. It's such an amazing amp.
Current Gear :
Jackson USA Made SL1 Soloist (SnakeSkin Finish)
Jackson Jap Made SL1 Soloist!
I said it was $800 but I meant $700. and what do you mean by split it into a head if i wanted?
Cut the top 'amp' part off the speaker cab, and a speaker out jack.. and make it into a head..

Then you hae a 60W 5150 head with Reverb, so nicer cleans and easier to crank.. instead of a 120W 5150 without reverb.