Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-18-2016, 08:14 AM   #1
tomlcoy

Exclamation Schecter pickups. Major change...

I am buying a Gibson LP that has the sound I want for my metal and hard rock. I mean, it sounds amazing. Anyways, it blows my Schecter out of the water and I want to do something that seems way out of the ordinary. I assume that it's unusual because I can't find anything online that tells me otherwise.

I want to put something like Seymour Duncan 59's and possibly a JB or a SD57 classic in my Schecter, giving it less metal and more classic rock style with the beautiful cleans.

Any thoughts? Have you ever seen such a thing or would it sound terrible?

Thanks for the help, judgement, or laughs that I may get from this thread, hehe.
Old 03-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
KailM

What does the Schecter have right now for pickups? EMGs?

What is it about the current pickups that doesn't sound right to you? You can put any pickups in just about anything. Duncan 59s are certainly popular, but more as a neck pickup. If you're going to continue playing metal or hard rock, you may still want something fairly high-output in the bridge. I could give you many recommendations, but first I need to know what is lacking in your current pickups.

Pestilential Flood
KailM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #3
tomlcoy

EMG 81TW/89 active pickups and it's a Schecter Hellraiser c1. I am disliking active pickups more and more. They seem to lack range. They are coil tapped, which i definitely want to keep. What i want out of the schecter is something that can be played for classic rock because of a little cover band i'm in. I want the range and i want coil tapped for sure. I assumed that you can put anything in just about anything, but I was hoping someone had tried it. Maybe it's something new, hehe.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:18 AM   #4
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlcoy
EMG 81TW/89 active pickups and it's a Schecter Hellraiser c1. I am disliking active pickups more and more. They seem to lack range. They are coil tapped, which i definitely want to keep. What i want out of the schecter is something that can be played for classic rock because of a little cover band i'm in. I want the range and i want coil tapped for sure. I assumed that you can put anything in just about anything, but I was hoping someone had tried it. Maybe it's something new, hehe.

To go from actives to passive p'ups will require that you change all the electronics, as the pots will also be wrong for the new pickups.

It might be more convenient to just go for actives more suited to the genre' you want to play, maybe a 57/66 set?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:29 AM   #5
tomlcoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
To go from actives to passive p'ups will require that you change all the electronics, as the pots will also be wrong for the new pickups.

It might be more convenient to just go for actives more suited to the genre' you want to play, maybe a 57/66 set?

I have no problem changing all of the electronics. I will check out the 57/66 set. They are Duncans, correct? Is the 57 you refer too the same one I was talking about?
Old 03-18-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlcoy
I have no problem changing all of the electronics. I will check out the 57/66 set. They are Duncans, correct? Is the 57 you refer too the same one I was talking about?

No, EMG's.

http://www.emgpickups.com/guitar/humbucking.html
Old 03-18-2016, 10:03 AM   #7
tomlcoy

Thanks. I appreciate the help from you both.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:27 AM   #8
Mincer

You may look into Whole Lotta Humbuckers, which are Duncans that can be split (59s have to be ordered as '4 conductor' versions). Another classic option is the JB/Jazz combo, which can be split as well.
Old 03-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #9
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i dunno about a jb for "classic rock style with the beautiful cleans"- they're a good bit less high output than the EMGs you have, but it's still a hot pickup that's easily suitable for hard rock and even lighter metal. I'd go for something more PAF or hot PAF in style.

I haven't tried them but Arby's idea of the more vintage-voiced EMGs might be worth considering too, since you already have all the stuff in your guitar for actives.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #10
BigHeadClan
Mistro

I have a Schecter Blood-moon (essentially a C1), swapped the stock pickups out for Dimarzio's PAF 36 anniversary <Neck> and D-Sonic <bridge>. Give me a very flexible set up be it old school metal/rock to the newer heavier stuff.

If your looking for something that's more classic rock I'd say stick to Vintage/Medium output pickups, the PAF series from Dimarizo are always a good choice.

If you want something from Seymour Duncan I'd say try the 59/custom set.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:56 PM   #11
dspellman

If it were me, I'd put a Suhr Aldrich in the bridge, and then whatever you like in the neck position.

I've also got a hot (9.2kohm) '57 in the bridge of one of my LPs and a DiMarzio Fast Track II (yup, a single-coil-size rail humbucker) in the neck position.

Whatever you put in (assuming passives) will require an overhaul of the pots as well, of course.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: