Page 4 of 65
Ok, so I removed the strings off my guitar, but the bridge is basically cemented in place...I cant fit anything under it to hold it up. What do I do to loosen it?
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Teh Forest King
Ok, so I removed the strings off my guitar, but the bridge is basically cemented in place...I cant fit anything under it to hold it up. What do I do to loosen it?

All the strings? Quite a dangerous position you're in, never leave it that way or you "might" damage your knife edges (long term, depends on which FR u have).

What you can do is, loosen the springs at the back, dive down slowly and try to block your bridge.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by jj1565
bridge height screws...

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/screws_bridge.htm

or you can pick up a new set of saddles, and screws for ur guitar under $20.

or you can take out the other peg on that saddle and walk into a hardware store with it and as for a matching screw for the other side. it will have a head on it, but if it's the right height, it will fit.

You guys were right all along. They were screws, I just couldn't tell . I have no idea why I thought they were springs. Thanks for the advice.
Im just bringing it into the shop next week. I'm not doing it myself.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
What's wrong with doing it yourself, your guitar's not gonna explode just because you took off all the strings...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by the fendernator
lol that's why I was confused. I haven't got any.

Do I need to take the whole Floyd Rose out to fix the wobbly whammy bar?

Did you check ur pm in the "My Profile" or just above the "search" button. I sent it to your "My Profile".
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
The answer would be....NO

You adjust the "tremolo claw" in whatever measurement that works, as long as the bridge stays parallel with the body.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Did you check ur pm in the "My Profile" or just above the "search" button. I sent it to your "My Profile".

Thanks just read it. BUT.

Unfortunately my whammy bar socket crumbled after I'd tightened it. The screw's snapped in half. lol. ****ing Floyd Rose. Should I get an Ibanez Edge Pro trem or similar to replace it? £160ish? What are your thoughts? I don't want to have to go hunting for another whammy bar socket/holder unit that'll just break again after the first bit of whammy vibrato.
Quote by robe108
i have some images, i hope it helps

you can change the way your springs are placed, but what i would normally do is to buy a forth spring.
Gear:
LTD MH-1000
Ibanez RG350EX
ibanez GSA60
Line 6 Spider III 30W
Peavey ValveKing 112
Boss GE-7 EQ
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Digitech RP350
Quote by the fendernator
Thanks just read it. BUT.

Unfortunately my whammy bar socket crumbled after I'd tightened it. The screw's snapped in half. lol. ****ing Floyd Rose. Should I get an Ibanez Edge Pro trem or similar to replace it? £160ish? What are your thoughts? I don't want to have to go hunting for another whammy bar socket/holder unit that'll just break again after the first bit of whammy vibrato.

The EdgePro cannot be simply interchangeble. Floyd Roses dont work that way. First of all what type of FR do you have? Just a normal one?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by icaneatcatfood
Hello. My guitar has a floyd rose and is constantly out of tune by half a step, can adjusting the spring tension make it better?

Just make sure your guitar is always parallel with the body in perfect pitch.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
The EdgePro cannot be simply interchangeble. Floyd Roses dont work that way. First of all what type of FR do you have? Just a normal one?

Standard/Normal Floyd Rose, yes. Should I just buy a replacement whammy bar socket? This for instance?:

http://www.allparts.uk.com/retrotrem-system-floyd-rose-tremolo-p-4119.html?p=product

Why can't I replace my standard Floyd Rose with an Ibanez Edge Pro? Different size hole or something? Thanks!
The Edgepro has different route from a normal FR route, wouldnt fit without modification to ur body.

That replacement socket would work but a better upgrade would be getting an OFR/Schaller if you have cash in hand. You can think about doing this only if you love the feel of that particular guitar and that you're committed to it.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
First of all what guitar do you have? got any pics so i can look at the system before making any judgment ?
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Hmm, an OFR/Schaller "might" be a perfect swap
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
The thing is, the Schaller 2 has lower profile than OFR/Schaller LFR and im not particularly sure whether your LFR has low profile or not.

My advice, if you love that guitar so much, then probably its worth a shot. If you're just OK with it, then save your money, just get the arm.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Ok, I have an Edge 3 tremolo for my Ibanez RG 4 EX1. I am trying understanding how to block the tremolo and cross tune it so that the tremolo looks like the one in the picture when I'm ready to play. Let me go through the steps I take to see If someone can see where I am going wrong. I block the trem using a pencil as shown in the thread. I cross tune my stings ( big E then little E then the A sting and so on) so that its in tune. Then I carefully remove the pencil and it brings the tunings to about F flat or so. Then I continue to cross tune my stings down to standard E tuning. But now my tremolo does not look like the edge 3 picture you have posted, its a little too far into the cavity.

Ok now I know that you can tighten the claw springs in the back to increase tension to pull the tremolo "into" the guitar or loosen them to allow the strings to have more pull. Is that correct? If it is like I assume, then I would try to loosen the springs but I can't for one of the screws pull out of the wood and its not good at all. I don't try and loosen or tighten the springs when there is tension either.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, I hope I am describing my situation clearly so far, but what steps do I need to take to raise the "tail" of the tremolo a bit more so that I looks like the one in the picture. I like where the pivoting studs are at, they are close so that playing is easy and there are no buzzes when I bend, or play at the higher frets. Besides loosening those springs in the back, what can I do to achieve a flush tremolo and keep it in standard E? Please HELP!!
Quote by mjfarmz
Ok, I have an Edge 3 tremolo for my Ibanez RG 4 EX1. I am trying understanding how to block the tremolo and cross tune it so that the tremolo looks like the one in the picture when I'm ready to play. Let me go through the steps I take to see If someone can see where I am going wrong. I block the trem using a pencil as shown in the thread. I cross tune my stings ( big E then little E then the A sting and so on) so that its in tune. Then I carefully remove the pencil and it brings the tunings to about F flat or so. Then I continue to cross tune my stings down to standard E tuning. But now my tremolo does not look like the edge 3 picture you have posted, its a little too far into the cavity.

Ok now I know that you can tighten the claw springs in the back to increase tension to pull the tremolo "into" the guitar or loosen them to allow the strings to have more pull. Is that correct? If it is like I assume, then I would try to loosen the springs but I can't for one of the screws pull out of the wood and its not good at all. I don't try and loosen or tighten the springs when there is tension either.

I'm sorry if this is confusing, I hope I am describing my situation clearly so far, but what steps do I need to take to raise the "tail" of the tremolo a bit more so that I looks like the one in the picture. I like where the pivoting studs are at, they are close so that playing is easy and there are no buzzes when I bend, or play at the higher frets. Besides loosening those springs in the back, what can I do to achieve a flush tremolo and keep it in standard E? Please HELP!!

You're not reading the tutorials correctly. Blocking is only done when you wanna restring your guitar, not tune it. For tuning, you just gotta let your tremolo float and cross tune (tuning one string, then another, then to the previous string back, like i explained).

If your tail is sticking back when you're in tune, then you need to loosen the back springs a bit. Then retune again.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by venomouskiss320
how do i drop tune like to dropped c,without it tuning back up that is

Get appropriate string gauge to rebalance the string tension so that its not too loose. Then retune like normal, balancing it by adjusting the springs at the back.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Im sure its an excellent system, just didnt get the chance to try one so cant really compare it to anything.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Hey thanks a ton, kinda feel sorta foolish about not being completely thorough with the tutorials. I couldn't loosen the springs anymore so I wound up just taking one of the springs off and its parallel now!
MMkay. So as far as routing for a FR, is there a difference between the schematics for an OFR and a LFR? Cuz on the Floyd Rose site, they have diagrams to rout an Original, but I have a Licensed and can't seem to find anywhere that has diagrams for that. So is there a difference, size-wise or anything?
Quote by SOADrox429
'Bring me the still-beating heart of a newborn child, and the world's rivers shall run red with the blood of the innocent.'

<\/> Fleshgod Apocalypse <\/>
Quote by Imperial
MMkay. So as far as routing for a FR, is there a difference between the schematics for an OFR and a LFR? Cuz on the Floyd Rose site, they have diagrams to rout an Original, but I have a Licensed and can't seem to find anywhere that has diagrams for that. So is there a difference, size-wise or anything?

This is pretty general and wide. LFRs have a lot of design, i mean A LOT. Everything is pretty much based on the OFR, hence why they're given license BUT, not all of them have the same routing. Different companies use different LFRs, they dont come out from the same factory. Gotoh makes Ibanez Edges, Schaller makes their own LFR, same goes for Yamaha's LFRs. ALL DIFFERENT.

Being said, most LFRs which have the standard size/pattern of an OFR should accommodate an OFR pretty well. A low-profile LFR could accept FloydRose2/FloydRosePro.

Ibanez on the other hand, is entirely different. The routing that accepts OFR are IBZ_LoTRS1/LoTRS2/ILT1/EdgeIII route.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^ just to add, the studs on the lo-trs are smaller- the route should accomodate an OFR, but you'd need to drill for the OFR's larger studs.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Oh yeah, thx for that. Totally forgot 'bout the trem posts.

Just to add summore, I dont think any of the Ibanezes posts thread will accept OFR's, so if you're swapping for an OFR, you oughta use the old posts. Tested on ILT1/EdgeIII, and dave tested it on LoTRS1. I'm pretty sure the LoTRS2's trem posts have different thread than the OFRs coz they're pretty much the same with ILT1.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^ oh ok. the lo-trs II posts, judging by the pic on jemsite, are larger than lo-trs, but still might not be the same size as OFR.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Yeah, i wasted my money last year when i bought the OFR's trem posts, thinking that it'd fit the ILT1 thread, which is pretty much the same as LoTRS2 .
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
dang, that sucks. someone i know bought a whole gotoh trem and still hasn't fitted it yet because of the studs.
Quote by Pott
Cool tutorial! I made something similar a long time ago with some more cleaning/setup questions adressed as well as how to string with all the strings taken off if it helps.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=68754

Hmm, cleaning fretboards huh, well try n beat this

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=5399147&postcount=5
Thats what she said...
UGmusic