Page 5 of 65
Being the experimental person I am, I want to see if I can get the action on my Edwards AL-128 lower. It used to be really high, but a truss rod adjustment made it feel like a new guitar. Still though, the action could be lower, and I don't know how to adjust it. Do you use those big anchoring screws that the trem knives go around?

And for those that don't know, it came stock with an OFR.

EDIT: A few more things...

To properly intonate my guitar for standard tuning (I'm gonna tak it down to Eb eventually, but I'll be getting another axe for standard later, and I'm strung with 10-46s, but I usually use 10-52)) I would have to take the saddles out to the point that the screws strike the body, instead of going down into the routing provided. Is there any way to prevent this? I can't find replacement saddle screws at Warmoth. Can I take the screws out and trim about a centimeter of length from them without adversely affecting the performance?

Additionally, would lighter/heavier strings keep me from having to take the saddle back so far? I'm not sure of the ways that string gauge affect intonation.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Last edited by Shinozoku at Mar 18, 2008,
Does the bridge height realy matter? I prefer my bridge a little tighter, or the strings have the tension of rubber bands.
Well, if the strings are too far off the fretboard, lead playing is hard, hence my question about lowering the bridge, making the strings closer to the fretboard. Also, I use .010s, usually ones with heavier bottom strings, so I don't have to worry as much about the tension.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

HELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELP

ok, so the saddle of my b string as come forward for some reason, and this has resulted in me being unable to use my trem properly.

why has this happened and how can i fix it?
thanks
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Quote by TheUnholy
So, apparently "Britain has a large Pakistani community" is now a source of humour?

I hope your Daily Mail strangles you, to be honest.
Is the hex screw for the bridge saddle tight? Also, you may need to move it back to keep proper intonation on that string. Just tune it up (with the bridge level against the body), and hit the 12th fret note on the b string and then the harmonic at the 12th fret (or vice versa). Chances are, the fretted note might be sharp, so you'll have to move the saddle back by loosening tension on the string and loosening the hex screw. Tighten it back down after moving it back, retune, and test it again. Do this (moving the bridge saddle back towards the neck if the fretted note is flat) until the fretted note is the same as the harmonic. If you're nervous about the operation, take your guitar to a licensed repair person, who may charge you between $15-45 to set the trem up.

Stupid name.

hmmm, thats good advice, thing is though, the harmonic sounds right and the string always seems to be in tune. It's just for any plans in the future that may contain whammying are doomed.
I Watched Download 07 on the internet Because I'm A Cheap Bastard and I'm Damn Proud!

Quote by TheUnholy
So, apparently "Britain has a large Pakistani community" is now a source of humour?

I hope your Daily Mail strangles you, to be honest.
Quote by Shinozoku
Being the experimental person I am, I want to see if I can get the action on my Edwards AL-128 lower. It used to be really high, but a truss rod adjustment made it feel like a new guitar. Still though, the action could be lower, and I don't know how to adjust it. Do you use those big anchoring screws that the trem knives go around?

And for those that don't know, it came stock with an OFR.

Yeah, you need to tighten the tremolo posts (pivot screws from the 1st page) to lower your action.
Quote by Shinozoku

EDIT: A few more things...

To properly intonate my guitar for standard tuning (I'm gonna tak it down to Eb eventually, but I'll be getting another axe for standard later, and I'm strung with 10-46s, but I usually use 10-52)) I would have to take the saddles out to the point that the screws strike the body, instead of going down into the routing provided. Is there any way to prevent this? I can't find replacement saddle screws at Warmoth. Can I take the screws out and trim about a centimeter of length from them without adversely affecting the performance?

Additionally, would lighter/heavier strings keep me from having to take the saddle back so far? I'm not sure of the ways that string gauge affect intonation.

Try finding replacement parts at wdmusic or stewmac. There're 2 holes on the baseplate so that you can screw the saddle screw further back if your saddle is all the way behind. You dont need to trim anything.

Changing your string gauge wont significantly affect the intonation. As matter of fact, it may not change at all or only by tiny bit. Intonation is all about the balance of the string length between the nut and the bridge, that's all.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by Zebrahead_SICK
HELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELPHELP

ok, so the saddle of my b string as come forward for some reason, and this has resulted in me being unable to use my trem properly.

why has this happened and how can i fix it?
thanks

You need to re-intonate your b string again, refer to the guide at 1st page.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Yeah, you need to tighten the tremolo posts (pivot screws from the 1st page) to lower your action.

Try finding replacement parts at wdmusic or stewmac. There're 2 holes on the baseplate so that you can screw the saddle screw further back if your saddle is all the way behind. You dont need to trim anything.

Changing your string gauge wont significantly affect the intonation. As matter of fact, it may not change at all or only by tiny bit. Intonation is all about the balance of the string length between the nut and the bridge, that's all.

The thing is, the saddles are almost all the way back, and the screws that you lock the string in with extend beyond the routing in the body. In addition to that, there's a tiny gap between the baseplate and the saddle where it's kinda gone up towards the fine tuners. Also, the G and low E strings (I'll have to check the E again, but I know for a fact that the G is) arehigher than the other strings because of this, and it's causing some buzz in the bridge.

Thanks for the help, though any more would be appreciated.

Stupid name.

Last edited by Shinozoku at Mar 22, 2008,
some of my string mounting screws are tight as hell and stripped on the inside. does anyone know how i could go about getting these off? thanks!
Quote by guitarman47
some of my string mounting screws are tight as hell and stripped on the inside. does anyone know how i could go about getting these off? thanks!

Needle nose plier
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i have a 7 string and the ones that are stuck are the 2 in the middle. i tried the needlenose pliers and they didnt work. any other suggestions?
Well, you could probably grind 2 sides of the string lockers to make a new thread so you can use a normal flat-head screwdriver. Probably a lil' heavy work dissasembling all those stuff but that's all i could think of right now.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Are the heads hollowed out or is the lock bolt just frozen (IE unable to move)? If it's frozen, shoot some WD40 or 3-36 lubricant up where it comes in contact where the saddle. If the head is destroyed, try what madpickin said and use the right size allen wrench next time.
Then probably my option would be best, since if you spray WD40 or any other lubricant, the end result will be extremely messy and eventually, you gotta take off everything to clean them up.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quick question:

My guitar is currently set up for E standard with 9's. If I wanted to change it to D Standard with 10's, how would I go about it? By that I mean what order should I do the stuff in the original post? Is there stuff not included/explained in that post that I'd need to do also?
Quote by Avedas
Quick question:

My guitar is currently set up for E standard with 9's. If I wanted to change it to D Standard with 10's, how would I go about it? By that I mean what order should I do the stuff in the original post? Is there stuff not included/explained in that post that I'd need to do also?

You just need to restring your guitar 1 by 1, changing each gauge. Then only you go about tuning and rebalancing the system.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i was reading the tutorial about cross tuning.... #3 says:
"Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step
sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again"

what is the low E string? is that the 1st or sixth one? and how would the whole pattern go?
E>A>E>D>E>A>?>?>?>?>?

and what is number 4 talking about with "If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body."

what does it mean loosen the tunings?
Quote by Big_Carp

Detune it a bit so you don't snap your strings when adjusting the bridge.

Quote by madpickin03
You just need to restring your guitar 1 by 1, changing each gauge. Then only you go about tuning and rebalancing the system.

Don't you have to intonate it again and adjust everything for 10's or whatever guage? I'm pretty sure that's what a tech me when I asked him. Maybe I'll just go talk to him again.
^ he's suggesting you swap one at a time, so that ur settings change as little as possible.

but you ALWAYS need to check intonation after any adjustments or after any string change.
intonation is tuning. check ur tuning often.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^ +1
Quote by Big_Carp
i was reading the tutorial about cross tuning.... #3 says:
"Tune up your guitar to standard or whichever tunings u wish. "Cross-tuning" between strings if you want easier. Tune the low E string> A string> low E string again> D string> low E string>A string... and so forth. Keep repeating for all strings. To make it more easier, tune the low E generally a bit sharper or about half step
sharper, so that you might not have to repeat crossing the strings again and again"

what is the low E string? is that the 1st or sixth one? and how would the whole pattern go?
E>A>E>D>E>A>?>?>?>?>?

and what is number 4 talking about with "If the floating bridge comes out, loosen the tunings and then tighten the springs in the tremolo cavity at the back, if the bridge sinks, then vice-versa, until the bridge is parallel to the body."

Low E is the thickest string. Basically the idea is just to keep tuning each strings until they're all in pitch. When you tune a floyd rose system, its different, tuning another string would throw other strings off tune.

When you have too much string tension, it'll pull your bridge forward, not making it parallel to the body, thus you need to loosen the string to ease the string tension and tighten the springs behind to increase the spring tension to counteract the string tension.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Where would I buy online for a new locking nut? I know what size I need but don't know where to go and I've tried Google but i am not sure if any of those sites are good.
Dean From Hell
Boss Metal Zone MT-2
Marshall Valvestate 2000
ebay, stewmac, warmoth, allparts, wdmusic, etcs
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Lol - Here's how not to set up a Floyd.

While I was adjusting the screws, one of them came flying out and fecked the thread up.

Wasn't as bad as I thought, just had some new screws put in and it's fine now - I'm still a bit wary when I'm adjusting those screws mind you...
That's insane, i've never had the whole floyd pop out in my life.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
It was because the screw ripped the thread out somehow...

I unscrewed it slightly and felt a massive increase in pressure, so I was sat there holding it in with the screwdriver knowing that as soon as I take the pressure off it's gonna fly out - It was quite a horrible moment
Keep in mind not doing it again. Edge III's are unpredictable, they can be quite fragile.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
That happened to me, I could not screw them back again so I just made two new holes a little higher for the two trem screws and everything was fixed.

I remember my first 2 days trying to set up a floating bridge...
I didn't see this in the guide or this thread. What about general maintenance to prolong the life of your trem?
Quote by robsayswhat
I didn't see this in the guide or this thread. What about general maintenance to prolong the life of your trem?

- Lubricate your trem posts
- Dont violently abuse them
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
this is pissing me off. i got an RG 370DX and just changed the strings. i have streched th strings ALOT but when I tune the strings just keep going out of tune, i tune the first three then the others but they knock the others out again. then wen i've got them in tune i start playing, and then they all go out of tune again
Quote by perkins15
this is pissing me off. i got an RG 370DX and just changed the strings. i have streched th strings ALOT but when I tune the strings just keep going out of tune, i tune the first three then the others but they knock the others out again. then wen i've got them in tune i start playing, and then they all go out of tune again

Patience, eventually it'll stay in tune. Just make sure your locking nut/string lockers are snug. Don't over tighten though.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Hey guys, quick question.
Do you screw on the string retainer bar before or after you screw on the string clamps?
Quote by Dynomiteguy
Hey guys, quick question.
Do you screw on the string retainer bar before or after you screw on the string clamps?

before
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
im trying to adjust the action. i want to raise the action due to immense fret buzzing on the lower strings.

do i have to unlock the nut? and will the tuning go out of pitch?
Gear:
Schecter Synyster Custom
Schecter C-1 Elite
Crate GFX65
Korg Toneworks AX1500G pedal board
Morley Wah pedal
Well, if you want maximum stability, i recommend you to unlock the nuts and retune the guitar after you've come to your desired height. But if its just by a couple of mm's, the tuning would probably be off by a few cents.

Usually the tuning will go out, even by a few cents.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic