Poll: Ibanez Phat Head or Digitech Bass Driver?
Poll Options
View poll results: Ibanez Phat Head or Digitech Bass Driver?
Ibanez Phat Head
4 29%
Digitech Bass Driver
8 57%
other
2 14%
Voters: 14.
Can anyone tell me about their experiences with these bass distortion pedals? Which do you think is better? I can get the Ibanez for $50 or the Digitech for $80. I want to be able to add just a little bit of distortion to spice up my sound but I want to be able to really thicken it up as well. The light distortion is more important though.
Thoughts? Opinions? Thanks ahead of time.
I owned the DigiTech and A/B'd it against the Ibanez. The DigiTech is better. It has a multitude of completely different sounds, the blending capabilities are much better (you won't lose your bottom at all) and the digital circuitry just behaves better. I can't think of one reason you'd by the Ibanez over the Digitech. Bass Driver hands down.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I would go for the Bad Monkey by Digitech, personally. Yes, it's a guitar pedal and yes it might suck a little lows, but sounded pretty good to my ears. I know there's some pedal-modding person/company/business that mods it to handle the low frequencies better, let me see if I can find it.....

Ah Humphrey Audio's Badder Monkey. I've heard nothing better good reviews from this pedal. I think they have an ebay shop if you want to check it out.
You know what? I forgot to consider the Boss ODB-3. What do you guys think of that one?
Got Bass?
everyone will tell u that the boss ODB 3 kills your bottom end but it dosent. Ive used this live for about 3 months now and i always get complimented on the tone of my distortion. The pedal has its own eq that allows you to adjust the amount of bass and treble passing through the pedal and this mean you are able to make a nice bassy distortion. But for arguments sake i would save up and get a sansamp or coloursound tone bender
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Can the boss get a mild, subtle distortion? Every ODB-3 sample I heard is just too much noise for my tastes.
Got Bass?
Yep. I tried it myself and you can get a hint of distortion.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Quote by DoctrDrew116
Can the boss get a mild, subtle distortion? Every ODB-3 sample I heard is just too much noise for my tastes.

The Digitech can, too. And, according to the preview off http://www.digitech.com/products/BassDriver.htm , the Digitech modelled the Boss ODB-3 anyway.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by DoctrDrew116

Yes, or you could try a EH Big Muff but that might be to harsh, Boss Blues Driver?
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by sammcl-15
Yes, or you could try a EH Big Muff but that might be to harsh, Boss Blues Driver?

Please, please, for the love of God, don't get a guitar pedal for bass. All these people using and somehow recommending guitar pedals for bass (even if they don't cut the lows 'all that much') is just madness.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Yea fitz, I've seen your anti-guitar pedal for bass rants before. I won't get a guitar pedal. One thing that caught my attention is the Digitech comes with a 1 year warranty while the Boss comes with a 5 year warranty. I've never owned anything by Digitech but I trust Boss because I've used other products by them, like metronomes/tuners. Never used a Boss pedal though. But then on the Digitech site it says I could register my pedal to extend the warranty to 6 years. Would I have to pay for that extension?
Got Bass?
Quote by DoctrDrew116
Yea fitz, I've seen your anti-guitar pedal for bass rants before. I won't get a guitar pedal. One thing that caught my attention is the Digitech comes with a 1 year warranty while the Boss comes with a 5 year warranty. I've never owned anything by Digitech but I trust Boss because I've used other products by them, like metronomes/tuners. Never used a Boss pedal though. But then on the Digitech site it says I could register my pedal to extend the warranty to 6 years. Would I have to pay for that extension?

Nope, between my guitar playing tenure and playing bass, I've owned about 6 Digitech pedals. The extended warranty shouldn't cost anything (it just gets you registered), but you need to be an American citizen.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I have owned all these cheap stomp boxes....save your money. They are all garbage. Check out the Tech 21 Sansamp bass driver. It will do it all....heavy distortion to mild overdrive. You should be able to pick one up for around $200 but it's worth the money.
i own the odb 3 and its great for distortion you get anything from mild tones to a sort of synth sound
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding