Page 1 of 2
what do you all think of these pedals? i think theyre great but a bit too expensive. do any of you own one?
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Boutique pedals are generally expensive, but they're so much better than some crap you get on the market.

They're basically made to be good.

Another examples are 'Tones' pedals.
Made by a guy living around Tyne & Wear.
£260 for a, 3 level disortion pedal.
Drive, Vintage Gain, Distortion.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by NotAJock2Day
I have ZVex Fuzz Factory, best solo tone I've ever had. (and fun to play with too)

What amp do you have? I'm currently wondering what to pair with my FF for around £300
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
My amp setup is a Fender Bassman 50 (1970s) paired with a custom orange Avatar 2x12 with a Vintage 30 and Hellatone 60.

Fuzzes sound best through tube amps going through natural overdrive... a good tube amp is the way to go. I dig B-52 amps which are around your price range.
Very nice amp. I'm thinking of the Laney VC30 112 can't find the B-52's in Europe much
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult
i gotta say they are well worth the price.. i am a z vex nut ! i have had so many pedals over the years and they all break at some point and mostley get real boring but not z vex he is a gtr genius... all his pedals are built like tanks .. they are devilishly clever in there conceptrion as well.... a theramin on a FUZZ?? sweet

the super hard on pedal made me cry when i 1st tried it....

but it needs a good valve amp or its a waste... (and good pickups).. it is really designed to
work with old slightly ''faded'' pickups....

his MACHINE PEDAL is mad!! it distorts when the speaker is at rest....lol that will wake the dead!!
They're some of the best pedals you can buy.

I desperately need a Box of Rock.
Honestly the guy isnt as special as you all may think. His Super Hard On is basically a copy of a Zenith Microphone Preamp. His Wooly Mammoth is basically a Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz with a pot in series with the feedback resistor, and a Big Muff tone control. The Fuzz Factory is basically just a Fuzz Face with a silicon gain stage in front, a voltage control, and bias control for each germanium transistor. He yells at us for trying to build his pedal, when really, hes the one copying everyone elses.
I haven't got one yet, but I really want a fuzz factory .
I have a Zvex dealer near my house so i've played a lot of his stuff, and they're all amazing .

if I had the cash, i'd get a fuzz factory and the machine.. those 2 are on the top of my gasing list atm ..
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Honestly the guy isnt as special as you all may think. His Super Hard On is basically a copy of a Zenith Microphone Preamp. His Wooly Mammoth is basically a Roger Mayer Classic Fuzz with a pot in series with the feedback resistor, and a Big Muff tone control. The Fuzz Factory is basically just a Fuzz Face with a silicon gain stage in front, a voltage control, and bias control for each germanium transistor. He yells at us for trying to build his pedal, when really, hes the one copying everyone elses.

Well tbh he's more "special" than nearly any other boutique builder you care to mention if you're going by "copying" people.. He's adapted a number of designs yes, but very few (none that I know of) have anything that is vaguely similar to a wah probe or a seek trem (to take two random examples.) Unlike somebody like Fulltone who's whole line is a copy of things that have already been copied to death (not that that's a bad thing of course, you can't be the classics only improve on them.)

And why the hell shouldn't he be pissed somebody's copying his pedal and selling it? Fair enough if you adapt it, make it your own make sure that you don't refer to his pedal in you literature... But some of the "small guys" sites I've seen are a joke, they're blatently just trying to buy into the "I'll make you a cheaper fuzz factory" business.. I think it's totally disgusting, it totally ruins the market.

For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by power freak
Well tbh he's more "special" than nearly any other boutique builder you care to mention if you're going by "copying" people.. He's adapted a number of designs yes, but very few (none that I know of) have anything that is vaguely similar to a wah probe or a seek trem (to take two random examples.) Unlike somebody like Fulltone who's whole line is a copy of things that have already been copied to death (not that that's a bad thing of course, you can't be the classics only improve on them.)

And why the hell shouldn't he be pissed somebody's copying his pedal and selling it? Fair enough if you adapt it, make it your own make sure that you don't refer to his pedal in you literature... But some of the "small guys" sites I've seen are a joke, they're blatently just trying to buy into the "I'll make you a cheaper fuzz factory" business.. I think it's totally disgusting, it totally ruins the market.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that some of his pedals are unique and sound amazing, but when he blatantly denies any sort of copying from other pedals when it's fairly obvious he does, it brings him down quite a few notches in my mind. The fact he trolls basically every pedal-related forum on the internet threatening lawsuits left and right doesn't help give him any respect either.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by power freak

Oh, so how many of his pedals have I sold? Hmm? You seem to know. 1. Only 1. Oh scary, im going to put him out of business by selling a pedal he already ripped off. I can just market it as a modded Fuzz Face. I could also sell Wooly Mammoths by saying that I am selling modded Roger Mayor Classic Fuzzes. Whats he gonna do? Its a classic design, not his design. Oh and wait, hes not only copying the Classic Fuzz in that pedal, but also the Big Muff tone control.
his stuff never really gave me a hardon(*rimshot*) lots of tiny obscure modders that kill his stuff. i even like some modded boss **** more.
i think zvex is a great builder, his pedals are really nice, no matter whether they're clones or what not.

theres nothing wrong with fulltone either. he reproduces many old pedals, eg of course the 69 70 and soulbender fuzzes and the FD2 dejavibe etc., but IMO they're the most worthwhile clones out there. the fuzzes of course are widely made by brands such as analogman and D*A*M or monsterpiece etc, but when price is concerned, i think fulltone often makes more pedal for less cash.
I'm still considering getting a Fuzz Factory. A mate of mine ordered one the other week so I'm going to blag him to borrow it so I can see how it sounds with my rig.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
The Fuzz Factory is basically just a Fuzz Face with a silicon gain stage in front, a voltage control, and bias control for each germanium transistor.

That actually sounds like a pretty original design to me. I mean, how original can any of this stuff be? You need the basic components to get a fuzz tone, right?

Short of creating a whole new effect, everyone's going to be copying -or "borrowing"- from someone else. Just like anything else. How many Bassman and Stratocaster copies are there? Or 1-4-5 rock songs? Or movies based on TV shows?

A truly original idea is a rarity nowadays.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
That actually sounds like a pretty original design to me. I mean, how original can any of this stuff be? You need the basic components to get a fuzz tone, right?

Short of creating a whole new effect, everyone's going to be copying -or "borrowing"- from someone else. Just like anything else. How many Bassman and Stratocaster copies are there? Or 1-4-5 rock songs? Or movies based on TV shows?

A truly original good idea is a rarity
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

^-Ok so if you can copy the Strats and Bassmans, why not copy Zvex. Others do it to other pedals. Im not saying I do it, just saying that its really nothing special.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
^-Ok so if you can copy the Strats and Bassmans, why not copy Zvex. Others do it to other pedals. Im not saying I do it, just saying that its really nothing special.

No, I hear you. Sounds like you've had a run in with the guy. He makes good stuff, more original than guys like Keeley, IMHO. He wants to protect his market share, and he's a bit of a dick about it, too.

He can threaten all he wants, but will his argument stand up in court? Sounds like he's bullying a little in hopes of never getting to that stage.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I can't see how he'd have a leg to stand on if you made it for your own use. That's just like someone building a kit car or something.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Actually, Zach Vex allowed for the schematic of the real Super Hard On to be posted on a certain site. There has been many wrong schematics (which will still give nice results), but the real one is out there. Its not actually a posted schematic though

By the way, I have one fake SHO in a pedal, and one real one in my guitar with a push/pull volume control
Quote by call1800ksmyazz

doesnt the ff or the machine or something have a built in theremin?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
oh
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
To kerry: I see where you're coming from, but regardless of what it's based off of, he came up with it, not you, and I sure would be pissed if someone stole my design. I hear you say "It's just got a silicon gainstage and bias resistor" or whatever, but that seems pretty original to me. you didn't think of it. no one did before he did.

I mean, if you want to build one for your own use, that's fine, but I wouldn't go selling someone else's design, despite what you market it as. As Ibanez learned in the 70s, copying a design and marketing it as something else, you get sued and lose.

And finally, if you don't like how expensive his pedals are, don't buy them .
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
A guy I work with who builds pedals also says things that are similar to what call1800ksmyazz is saying. I don't pretend to know anything about pedals, though, other than what my ears tell me.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by slatsmania

The bias control is actually something that Mike Fuller (Fulltone) came up with. I beeeeelieve.
^the bias control is really a great function. fuzzes really are much better with those.
What are boutique pedals?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
They're handmade and usually cost about 2-3 times what they're mass-produced equivalent would cost. But, because they're handmade, they're customizable and the components are *usually* of a higher quality than what you'd find in a mass-produced unit. Most boutique pedal makers do it as a side job.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by suckasucks
^the bias control is really a great function. fuzzes really are much better with those.

LMAO, do you even know what a bias control does. And no one tell him.
I see where Kerry is going.

I remember Zachary Vex himself threatening to sue you and said that your Rusty Nail was a copy of the Fuzz Factory (which it isn't).

And on Mike Fuller vs. Zachary Vex:
Mike Fuller makes basically copies of many pedals (though he seems to have some original designs) but he's open with it, unlike Zachary IMO.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
it controls the temperature of or voltage going to the trannies right?

from analogman's site:
It is used for keeping the fuzz happy at different temperatures, and with different or worn batteries.

even if that isnt what it does, it still does make a difference where its set. regardless of what it does in the circuit.
Hmm seems to be a debate goin on.

Anyways, I have a Fuzz Factory with an American Fender Strat, and a little ol 15W Fender Amp. But I've also played it through a tube amp (really nice one cant remember the name) and a nice Marshall solid state. Sounded great. Overall I give it 9.5/10. Its very sensitive. Very. But it is up to expectations in terms of sound. I had a big muff for over a year, but I always wanted a little more punch and the Fuzz Factory has soo much power, all that you'll ever need really. Oh and sustain, wow. It'll hold a note for so long without losing volume or tone. I've played two gigs with it, worked fine both times. I reccomend backing it up with a muff or something because sometimes it fails, like radio interference and crap like that.

BTW the fuzz probe has no theremin, but something equivalent to it.
Quote by FrenchyFungus
Hey y'all!!! Me and my friend were over at her house. I we were wonder what guys think when they see a hot girl at the mall or whatever walk by. (We're both pretty as y'all would say "blonde" sometimes).

Quote by rabidguitarist
I just look like some homo.
Last edited by yoshixxx7 at Jul 2, 2007,
It doesn't ruin the Market. It makes it more competitive and better. You'll be getting the pedals for cheaper if this keeps up. How is that not a good thing?
Page 1 of 2