Well my brother just bought a Mesa, and recently comparing it to my line 6 spider 2, i decided it was time for an upgrade. i need something loud enough to play small gigs. has to have enough power to fill like.... a schools gym. tahts about the most. I'm playing metal/emo/screamo. Budget is around 500 bux. I was thinking possibly a Peavy Valveking 112? ( I think thats the number) I am completely uneducated in amps, all i know is that tube means good and mesa and orange are high end.
Quote by I Like Me.
Well my brother just bought a Mesa, and recently comparing it to my line 6 spider 2, i decided it was time for an upgrade. i need something loud enough to play small gigs. has to have enough power to fill like.... a schools gym. tahts about the most. I'm playing metal/emo/screamo. Budget is around 500 bux. I was thinking possibly a Peavy Valveking 112? ( I think thats the number) I am completely uneducated in amps, all i know is that tube means good and mesa and orange are high end.

Steal your brothers. hide it.. Say maybe a burglar came in for it especially. THEN! When he complains and gets like a free one for whatever reason... Whip out the original and say "HEY MAN! Look what I just found!". Then you have two and he'll be none the wiser.

Technically this is what some craaaaazy folk would call "insurance fraud". But I think it's perfectly legit
You can get away with 15 watts tube and be able to get over drums.

What music do you play?

Without knowing anything like that....
Here's a couple of amps better than the ValveKing:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V32-Palomino-30-Watt-Class-A-Tube-Combo?sku=487828
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014 (Can find used for cheaper.)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-YCV40-Custom-Valve-Combo-Amp?sku=480959 (I found mine used for 425 USD)
Quote by Untitled001
Steal your brothers. hide it.. Say maybe a burglar came in for it especially. THEN! When he complains and gets like a free one for whatever reason... Whip out the original and say "HEY MAN! Look what I just found!". Then you have two and he'll be none the wiser.

Technically this is what some craaaaazy folk would call "insurance fraud". But I think it's perfectly legit

Thats kinda scary taht you have all this figured out in ur head. I dont wanna know where u got your amp.
^Check my post above ya.

Quote by Untitled001

I like your style, son....
When you go to a music store to try them out, play a B-52 AT-112, it's all tuve and you should be able to get it for around $500.
Jackson USA SL2H Snow White
Peavey JSX 120w head
BVS412 slant cab w/V30's
Furman RR-215 Dual EQ
TC Electronic M300
Quote by forsaknazrael
You can get away with 15 watts tube and be able to get over drums.

What music do you play?

Without knowing anything like that....
Here's a couple of amps better than the ValveKing:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crate-V32-Palomino-30-Watt-Class-A-Tube-Combo?sku=487828
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Classic-30112-Tube-Amp-Combo-?sku=481014 (Can find used for cheaper.)
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-YCV40-Custom-Valve-Combo-Amp?sku=480959 (I found mine used for 425 USD)

I play metal/screamo/emo
like alot of emery/underoath type of music.

I absolutley HATE trayner amps sorry to say.
Quote by I Like Me.
Thats kinda scary taht you have all this figured out in ur head. I dont wanna know where u got your amp.

I got my amp from a caravan dealer.. But thats an ENTIRE different story..

See, I really got it from GAK.
In all seriousness...

You could probably get away with some real decent used head off of eBay.

Look up some old 5150's and some 6505's. GREAT metal tone.
have any of you actually played the valveking? cause most people on this site seem to like it. Is it good for screamo stuff? And one more, is the valveking a tube?
Quote by Untitled001
Look up some old 5150's and some 6505's. GREAT metal tone.

Aww...still GASsing are we?

edit: ^ Yes, the VALVEking is a Valve amp.
The VK isn't actually that good though- you'd need an OD/distortion pedal
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by forsaknazrael
Traynor. Based on what experience?

My friends got one and I dunno, I just dont like it, not very good distortion on it. I think his is a cheap one thouigh so I could be very wrong. And ive got a cheap traynor bass amp, it sucks.
Quote by Yngwi3

edit: ^ Yes, the VALVEking is a Valve amp.
The VK isn't actually that good though- you'd need an OD/distortion pedal

\If i were to hook it up to my boss OD and my bosss Turbo distorion would it make a big difference?
Quote by Yngwi3

You could put it that way. There may be a better word to explain it though...

No.. There isn't...

Boss OD's imo don't have much of a presence (i have an OD-3)
Maybe it would if my amp were lower gain, but I don't find it to do much.

Maybe a Maxon OD-9 or 808...or a Rocktron Silver Dragon for a distortion pedal
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by forsaknazrael
^^Sorry, the tube guitar Traynors are actually really nice. The YCV50 Blue is a great amp, and so is the YCV40. Definitely bargains.

And I'm pretty sure one of the guitarists in The Almost (the drummer from Underoath's band) was using a Traynor YCV40 when I saw them live.

how dare you! As if i wouldnt know that aaron is in The Almost.(I hate them though) So the tube traynors are good. ON second thought I'm kind of hoping to go under 450. Cause I live in Canda so tahts like 600 for me.
Quote by forsaknazrael
And I'm pretty sure one of the guitarists in The Almost (the drummer from Underoath's band) was using a Traynor YCV40 when I saw them live.

Holy **** I read that wrong...

I thought that said "I'm the drummer for Underoath" :/
Quote by forsaknazrael
I don't like to make assumptions, so I stated it. Don't worry, they were really unimpressive live, and their live mix is terrible. Their bass is overpowering.
Look for one used. I buy all my gear used. Got my Traynor for 425.

could u send me some links of traynors under 450 new? Yeah i figured theyd be bad live, ic ouldve seen thema couple weeks back with paramore but i didnt bother. Makes me mad cause aaron is so talented too. ( musically, i duno how he is at guitar)
Would if i had the money right now, but i cant buy till i get my severence chek, prolly in about a week. And traynors are good for underoath/emery typish music? Ill probobly just ehad to long n mquade and test a few out.
You can find used Peavey XXX 40w 1x12 combos for around $500CAD if you're patient.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs