I'm not sure which forum to put this in, but I figured this one suited best.

What would be a good mode or scale for me to practice fast alternate picking runs. I'm not looking for anything chromatic or consistent four note per string runs, but something along the lines of a Rusty Cooley/Michael Angelo alt. picking run that covers most of the fretboard.

Sorry for the stupid question, but can anyone help me?
Major scale should do the thing...

Take any scale you wanna learn and alternate pick it dude... it'll both help your picking and your scale/theory knowledge.... 2 birds 1 stone... isn't it fantastic??
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Quote by hurlyz
Major scale should do the thing...

Take any scale you wanna learn and alternate pick it dude... it'll both help your picking and your scale/theory knowledge.... 2 birds 1 stone... isn't it fantastic??

Heh, that's exactly what I was thinking, saves a bit of time and works on application.

From what I've heard, harmonic minor was always generally a good mode to use in these situations, but I'm not positive.
I don't think there is one good scale to practice with. I try to use a variety of them. Modes of the major scale, harmonic minor, melodic minor, are what I usually do I guess. I also do chromatic runs that aren't scales just for my fingers to get faster.
If you're going for a typical shredder-type thing, like some of the artists you listed, I'd maybe work on the harmonic minor scale in multiple octaves.

Yngwie has a great A harmonic minor lick at the beginning of Blitzkrieg that I work with from time to time.
I would recommend just plain learning some licks from songs by artists like that that go all over the place. That'll give you a better feel for it.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Any mode... Why would one be better than the other? It wouldn't.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by gizzal1
I'm not sure which forum to put this in, but I figured this one suited best.

What would be a good mode or scale for me to practice fast alternate picking runs. I'm not looking for anything chromatic or consistent four note per string runs, but something along the lines of a Rusty Cooley/Michael Angelo alt. picking run that covers most of the fretboard.

Sorry for the stupid question, but can anyone help me?

Any scale/mode. Alternate picking is scale irellevant. If you like those shredder guys... find a tab of something you like by them, and practice it up. Youll learn the scale there using, as well as be inspired by learning to play something that you like.
shred is gaudy music
play any major or minor scale but play it diagnally and in a linear way, it's hard so start slowly