I have been playing guitar for 5 and a half years
Started football shortly after so all my time and money go toward that. I haven't been able to buy great stuff. Likewise, I was only able to take lessons for a year and a half. Most of my time, aside from football, goes toward practicing my guitar. And I have still improved greatly thanks to the internet with youtube and of course ultimate guitar. However I am at a crossroad. I want to take more lessons and spend a lot of time playing guitar. I have 2 guitars:
Di Giorgio Amazonia classical from 1975 (It's my mom's but she never uses it)
and it is getting old and starting to crack because it wasn't taken care of properly and we live in Arizona so...

and I have a BC Rich metal master gay crap pack. Out of my options of starting guitars this was my best option (and I won't lie, I think the shape looks cool) but the bridge is starting to rise out of the body the frets are getting worn and there really is only so much you can do with a piece of crap. If you put sugar and sprinkles on a piece of crap it will still taste like crap. And whats worse.... Now it's an old piece of crap

My amp is a crate FXT 65 decent for the price
Loud enough to be heard over drumbs, but even that goes only so far

I have thought it out hard and I have decided that a new guitar is what i need first.

Now my options are open but it takes time for me to earn money because with football and summer school and camps and ...... well that's most of my day and that leaves no time for a job and I go off of 3-5 hours a sleep already.

Right now I have about 600 that I can spend.
I really like the sound of les pauls and my absolute favorite band is the Goo Goo Dolls (they are amazing live because they started this years tour in AZ)
I love their sound. I don't limit myself to them.

I was thinking of a taylor acoustic electric (Guilds are too expensive)
Epiphone Elitists are decent but the shops don't have them in 'round here
Gibsons are amazing except i don't like studios for some reason, it just doesn't fit me i guess
I really am open to all guitars but I wan't to be able to have a sound similar to the goo goo dolls so that decreases half the guitars at least

Now, I want a great sounding guitar and it helps if it looks good too
I wan't one that isn't too expensive because i would be able to get it sooner and i have been waiting 3 years already

5 and a half years!
I need a guitar that someone who has been playing 5 and a half years deserves

most people get a second guitar around 2 years into their work unless they start with God's gift and thier second guitar is about the 500 and below range

I need something gig worthy like at a high school talent show or about that size of audience (I know I need a new amp before that, fear not, I'll be back for that later)
our school has just over 2500 students by the way so its big

Thanks for all the help
Also i dont really was advice from someone who has a les paul special II
I need a "veterans" help although all help is appreciated
well, I just can't recommend you a single guitar, I really think you should go and try various guitars for yourself until you find one that sounds and feels just like you want. I personally like Ibanez and Washburn a lot, basically all my gear is from those brands, but that's just my opinion.
Beau, oui, comme Bowie
Quote by kai29
I need a guitar that someone who has been playing 5 and a half years deserves

It really doesn't matter how long you've been playing, if you play 5 and a half years and you still suck, I dont think you'd deserve the same quality guitar as someone who's been playing 3 years and is awsome.

Secondly, they're called "drums" not "drumbs"
Alright first dude, honestly, I want to say telling us how long you've been playing won't help us that much.. After a certain point, about a year, I'd say, it doesn't matter how long you've played, just how adept you are to music and/or the instrument.

So here's what I'd say you do, save a little money, if you like Les Pauls, I'd go with the guitar I'm currently using, however depends on the style of music you play. I currently jam along the lines of jazz/funk/blues/reggae tunes, but all depends on your preference.

The guitar is a Double Cut-Away Les Paul, from Gibson's Faded series, comes standard with two P-90's and is a little fun to play. You might have to save up for this, I got it for $609, but I know places are selling it for more, if you're not fond of that option I hear wonderful things about the Fender Telecaster Deluxe, preferably the '72-80 production model, but they re-issued it in 2004 and it is to be coveted I hear. However you might want to excahnge the 2004 pick ups for the original you can find most places. The guitar may be around $600-700 I think, dunno tho'.

G'luck, keep up the jamin', have fun.

Play them before you buy y'know, and always be open to options, don't let brand names stop you from a good buy.
Heavenly Virus don't be an @$$. I was telling my little sister what to type because I was then filling paperwork out for my football camp for the rest of the week. She's like 12 or 13 so I think that 1 mistake is good for her.
I don't "suck" I am very good at guitar. The only major thing that I need to improve is my sweeping because when it's distorted, it isn't always distinctly clear notes. I want to take lessons again so I can read sheet music and learn more guitar methods.

TaV0 - I have tried ibanez and mostly the S470 and the wizard 2 neck is very comfortable, but I don't think it suits the music I play very well. I have also tried their artcore series but I found the sound to be just "off" of what I am looking for. Thanks though

Sun Child - I find myself to play Alternative Modern and Classic Rock and some of the softer type of Goo Goo Dolls acoustic kind of adult alternative. I do enjoy jazz blues and even a little punk rock from the early 90's. I have tried a standard DC from gibson and they are nice. They have a little more sustain than some of the other models I have tried. I just think that somewhere along the line of my next guitar's life, I will want to have 2 volume and 2 tone knobs so I can vary in sound and even use a kill switch. I don't know why but I never really liked fenders. The tele sounds nice but I don't really see myself using one. I have tried an MIA tele and strat but It just isn't the sound I was looking for. I like the 2 humbuckers and real sustain that les pauls allow.

thanks for the input
Quote by kai29
Heavenly Virus don't be an @$$. I was telling my little sister what to type because I was then filling paperwork out for my football camp for the rest of the week. She's like 12 or 13 so I think that 1 mistake is good for her.
I don't "suck" I am very good at guitar. The only major thing that I need to improve is my sweeping because when it's distorted, it isn't always distinctly clear notes. I want to take lessons again so I can read sheet music and learn more guitar methods.

1. SORRY!!! I should have realized your sister was typing for you

2. I didn't say you suck, I said IF you suck....
Well it sounds to me like you already have your mind made up that you want a Les Paul so if I was you, I would just save up my money and get the guitar that I wanted.

If you are still open to suggestions though, may I submit that you look into some schecters. I have a C1+ and it really has a lot of tonal capabilities due to its coil tap. It does only have 2 volume and 1 tone knob though so it might not interest you.
My advice is to just go by feel and not necessarily by what your friends say or what your heroes use. Awhile ago I wanted to buy a new guitar and a lot of people recommended the Les Paul, but I tried it a few times and it just didn't feel right. I started with a Strat, so I wasn't used to how large and heavy the Les Paul was. In the end, I ended up getting an Ibanez S520EX, and I love how thin and sleek the neck and body are. I agree with Slash0102's suggestion of looking into Schecters too because I think the feel of some of their models is similar to that of a Gibson and the price won't be as high. And even if it doesn't have two tone and volume knobs, could you get the variation of sounds you want through effects pedals?
Quote by HeavenlyVirus
Secondly, they're called "drums" not "drumbs"

I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
I'll try a schecter when I go to GC. I just always assumed that people put high output pups in them and they were used for metal. I will definently look into it, thanks.

I have heard bad things about Agiles though. Well... more bad than good.
My friend loves Agiles and has 2 LPs. He said that I should just get an epiphone and mod it if I was thinking about Agiles

Slash_metal : How do you like your LP Elitist? How would you rate it against a Gibson studio and Epiphone standards like the ones made in korea?

I don't really like Fenders or Ibanez. It' not that they aren't good, it's the sound is different than what I am looking for. It's a shame to, the S470 in the blue moon burst is an awesome looking guitar and it sounds sweet for soloing purposes like Satriani's stuff or maybe metal.

I have also tried semi hollow guitars from gibson and mostly epiphone: Dots, Sheratons, and 2 others.

They arent bad.

The most important thing right now is that the guitar is gig worthy. I don't plan on buying another guitar for at least 5 more years. I want to be satified, but I want to look at it everytime I see it and think that it is the coolest guitar on earth. I want it to sound like a expensive guitar should, maybe after I replace the pups. I want it to be able to stand up against all of the american fenders and gibsons and martins and gretsch guitars that a lot of good players use around here.

I apriciate the help guys except 14shadesofblue.
And HeavenlyVirus, I was letting you know that I don't suck so you could actually contribute to this thread instead of defending yourself. But since I am not the only one to think you are a jerk (and it is fairly clear that you can't play guitar well on top of that), I won't hold it against you.
Last edited by kai29 at Jun 27, 2007,
You're wanting versatility right?

FENDER SHOWMASTER /THREAD
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Ive been playing for about 10 years and there is one thing Ive learned: dont be persuaded by what people tell you sounds good, go to guitar center and see for yourself.

That, and fenders suck.
Quote by abcdboy
You're wanting versatility right?

FENDER SHOWMASTER /THREAD

ya thats the guitar, sounds like a lp, but plays like a strat. Also 24 frets.
Go to a guitar store and buy what feels and sounds good. You might take someone's advice here, order a guitar online, then get it and absolutely hate it.