okay so I leave to go on vacation thursday (ill be on vacation for 3 weeks) and i am flying and i want to take my guitar but the case is like 2 inches too long to fit in the over head bin to go on as a 'carry-on' so i dont know if i should ship it to myself through UPS or to put it on the belly of the plane. i have heard many stories of peoples guitars getting ruined because they were poorly handled by the baggage guys and i just bought my guitar new in april for nearly $1000 case included (its a trans black jackson dinky with EMG pick-ups) so what should i do take it on the plane or ship it or just rent a guitar from a local music store (i rented one last year). Please help!!
i'd be extremely wary of flying your guitar, those baggage compartments are not heated and get very cold. I have heard of people making special arrangements to fly their guitars in the same place as where pets are kept, whatever thats called. That does seem like a hassel and I don't think i would like my guitar to have the possiblity of someone ruining it.
Might be easier to rent one...
rent man
what happens if they lose your guitar, or it gets broken, or it gets stolen
that would suck huh
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Well, you could always get a really good case.. I know when my parents were looking at cases for me, as a demonstration the guy threw an acoustic guitar down a flight of stairs in the case... My parents then bought it for me.. It's all about the case.
Quote by AthenasGhost
Well, you could always get a really good case.. I know when my parents were looking at cases for me, as a demonstration the guy threw an acoustic guitar down a flight of stairs in the case... My parents then bought it for me.. It's all about the case.

my case is a gator
Quote by Kawasaki7410
my case is a gator

So is mine

But like another guy says, the weather can make a big difference too, but it shouldn't get too cold or warm underneath depending on how long your flight is... People do travel with there instruments here and there, just take some precautionary steps to make sure your instrument stays safe, talk with the airline, or other people who have traveled with their instruments if you get the chance.
Quote by AthenasGhost
So is mine

But like another guy says, the weather can make a big difference too, but it shouldn't get too cold or warm underneath depending on how long your flight is... People do travel with there instruments here and there, just take some precautionary steps to make sure your instrument stays safe, talk with the airline, or other people who have traveled with their instruments if you get the chance.

im flying to florida...so i dont think it would get too cold....and i was planning to take the srtings off
thats why im asking people on here to see if anyone has every flown their guitar
If you have a locking flight case, you won't have much to worry about short of a thousand-pound crate falling on it.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
have you spoken directly to a customer service rep from that airline company? i've flown with various of my guitars as carry-ons several times, and, although the cases were too long to technically allow them in as a carry-on item, they've never said anything about it because it's still allowed as a carry-on somehow. they didn't technically fit in the size parameters of a carry-on, but were still allowed. the overhead compartments aren't really divided by partitions, just have different compartment doors. you should talk directly to your airline, and if they still won't allow you to carry it on (or if you already have spoken to them and they won't allow you to) i suggest you either pad it well in a big box to put underneath the plane, rent one as you did before, or take a crappier guitar with you.
Quote by climhazzard
have you spoken directly to a customer service rep from that airline company? i've flown with various of my guitars as carry-ons several times, and, although the cases were too long to technically allow them in as a carry-on item, they've never said anything about it because it's still allowed as a carry-on somehow. they didn't technically fit in the size parameters of a carry-on, but were still allowed. the overhead compartments aren't really divided by partitions, just have different compartment doors. you should talk directly to your airline, and if they still won't allow you to carry it on (or if you already have spoken to them and they won't allow you to) i suggest you either pad it well in a big box to put underneath the plane, rent one as you did before, or take a crappier guitar with you.

i have talked to them and the just said it wouldnt fit but i dont want to get on the plane and then they tell me i cant take it......and the ill HAVE to but it on the bottom...i think ill just rent one then i dont have to worry about hurting or losing my most prized possession....
Quote by hoobariffer87
If you have a locking flight case, you won't have much to worry about short of a thousand-pound crate falling on it.

how much would a locking flight case cost?
Quote by Kawasaki7410
how much would a locking flight case cost?

See for yourself.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it