Page 1 of 2
Who are the bassists that aren't good at all but, but you still like anyways?

For me it's Mark Hoppus. Not a good bassist, but he's pretty cool anyways. He pretty funny, and he's ok a singing.
For me, it has to be either Michael Anthony or Adam Clayton. Micheal Anthony was so positive on stage, and his backup vocals were fantastic, but man, his playing was just piss-poor. You can play most of Running With The Devil with one hand... your right hand. His solos were embarrassing, too.

Adam Clayton is so bad and so self confident, I can't hate him. That self-satisfied smirk he always carries is a sight to behold. But, then again, if I got paid the same as Bono or Edge, I'd be pretty self satisfied, too.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I wouldn't call Roger Waters terrible, but he is a sub par bassist. Song writing was definitely his strong suite.
Quote by the_hoople
I wouldn't call Roger Waters terrible, but he is a sub par bassist. Song writing was definitely his strong suite.

Roger Waters, just like Paul McCartney, have no love for the bass. They were kind-of odd-man-out guitar players that said 'hey, this thing looks fun...'
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Dee Dee Ramone. So intense! But not much there in bass talent. I actually met him--too bad the drugs got to him in the end.
Quote by thefitz
Roger Waters, just like Paul McCartney, have no love for the bass. They were kind-of odd-man-out guitar players that said 'hey, this thing looks fun...'

No Roger was demoted to bass. He always said his greatest fear was that he would end up playing drums in Floyd!
Mike Dirnt (not the worse bassist...just not the best)

I reckon hes pretty cool..Most 'punk' looking in greenday =P
Pete Wenz. i know u all our like he is not cool and has that ego. but i gotta say i do like the guys music he writes because he has the ideas and knows how to create music.
Quote by thefitz

Buddy, I happen to think a lot of Paul's later-day basslines are pretty good.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by Mongoose87
Buddy, I happen to think a lot of Paul's later-day basslines are pretty good.

Oh, sure, he's probably the most influential bassist of all time (in regards to the number of people he's influenced), and he does have some great lines, but that doesn't mean he wasn't 'forced' into playing bass. Did I ever once say his lines weren't good?
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Well all the Beatles ended up playing bass on one song or another, they just swapped it round when Paul was doing a piano part like in Hey Jude.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Mike D'Antonio from Killswitch Engage never has any good basslines - he may be a bass prodigy, but he NEVER shows any skill. He does, however, have REALLY good stage presence and attitude. I've also met him and he's a really cool guy, AND SHORT LIKE ME!

Jeordie White also hasn't done anything to wow me (seeing as how most of APC's basslines were written by Paz, or so I'm told) but he's a good songwriter, and seems like a cool guy.
Quote by Charlatan_001
Jeordie White also hasn't done anything to wow me (seeing as how most of APC's basslines were written by Paz, or so I'm told) but he's a good songwriter, and seems like a cool guy.

He's done a lot more than just APC though. I think his playing on Desert Sessions 9&10 is great.
kim deal from pixies
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
defly michael anthony, with his drunken antics hahaha, he smashed the neck of his bass on the stage floor, while playing a bad solo, still love him though even if he sucks
My name is Greg, use it.

Sarcastic

Angry

Hopeful
Quote by Charlatan_001

I always thought that 'Weak and Powerless' was quite an impressive bass track.

Probably Sid Vicious and Dee Dee Ramone.
Quote by GreenDayChris
I drink, and say oi occasionally. but I can't get laid to save my life.

Quote by Symphonic_Chaos
MX4Life you fucking godhaha
Quote by Charlatan_001
Mike D'Antonio from Killswitch Engage never has any good basslines - he may be a bass prodigy, but he NEVER shows any skill. He does, however, have REALLY good stage presence and attitude. I've also met him and he's a really cool guy, AND SHORT LIKE ME!

I would have to agree. Mike D'Antonio doesnt have any parts that will be remembered in 50 years, but he does a great job of writing a part that goes great with the song and rocking out. I've never met him or anything, but Ive met Adam D, and from what Ive seen on the DVD they seem to be great guys. They just play to make great music and have a good time.
Sid Vicious (Horrible bassist but you gotta love his personality)
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
1 of my fav bassist is Cliff Williams from AC/DC.AC/DC is my fav band and Cliff seems like a really cool person.Listen to Sin City lol.Its really easy but fun to listen to.And his Back up vocals are great.
Quote by Damaged Roses
I don't really understand why basses have 24 frets, I mean, I've never seen a bassist playing more than the 12 fret.

My Gear-
Warwick Double Buck
Epiphone EB0
GK MB 210
Fender Rumble
Paul Mcartney... absolutely astounding songwriter... but I've never heard a single beatles bass lick that really stood out for me. It's always usually the vocal melody that drove their songs. Then again that was the style back then... back before Sabbath and Zepp... where the string section actually drove the song with the vocals accompanying it. The total reverse!
Quote by smb
He's done a lot more than just APC though. I think his playing on Desert Sessions 9&10 is great.

I know he's done a lot more than APC, but I haven't heard Desert Sessions, so I can't comment on that.

Did Jeordie play on 13th Step and eMotive? I thought I had read that Paz had written most of the basslines, and Jeordie just did the tracks for some of the songs. If he did play all the bass tracks, then that's pretty cool - good basslines on those albums.
Sid Vicious
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Mark Hoppus and Adam Clayton.

Both pretty bad, but cool ppl.
Mark did have carousel, but I can almost play carousel perfectly and I've only been playing for 5 months, so while it looks hard and sounds cool hes still not that good.
I'd probably have to go with Mark Hoppus too. Not the most technical of bassists [understatement? ] but he does his job well and shares vocal duties which at the end of the day, is all that matters really.

You lay me down as I go to the store
Sorrow ate me, I'm not me anymore
Play these heavens one more time
I'm not yours and I'm not mine

When you hear music after it's over, it's gone in the air.
You can never capture it again.

I don't have only one to choose.

-I like Glen Matlock. He is preety good at playing. And backing vocals are not poor.
-I also like Mike Dirnt. He's not so bad.
-Dee Dee.
-I 've heard some Led Zeppeling songs, and the bassist (I dont know his name) is a well player. But I admit, I haven't herd many songs.

-And at last, I CAN'T leave the forum without mention Sid. He was a poor bassist. But I feel I have to mention him. They all say his bass was turned off while playing live concerts.
I don't know if it is true or not. But it seems it's true.

BUT, I have to say that in the video of the last show in San Francisco in 1978, it seems he is playing. And when someone reach Sid (before he is taken away by Security), Vicious' bass makes sound. I mean, in that show, I think he is playing.
Does anyone think the same?? Or not?? (I'm talking about that specific show).
Sid Vicious, Adam Clayton, and Mikey Way...I think he just looks funny when he plays
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Quote by Ponazlob
I 've heard some Led Zeppeling songs, and the bassist (I dont know his name) is a well player. But I admit, I haven't herd many songs.

Sorry for the double post, but John Paul Jones is an incredible player.
Quote by Demonikk
+1
I live by the method: 3 or less orange warning labels, and it's safe as a kitten

Quote by Charlatan_001
EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.
Sting, I never considered him a good bassist, but I still love him as a musician.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
Quote by BassistGal
Sting, I never considered him a good bassist, but I still love him as a musician.

Sting, is an incredible talent. playing and lead singing is not easy, to do well.
his bass playing may not be technical, but very effective. he's one of my favorites.
Page 1 of 2