I've broken two strings in less than a week on my Squier Affinity Stratocaster guitar. The man who told me what happened was that the strings keep breaking from the inside and I am very confused about this whole thing.

What should I do? Should I get new strings or go to a different place to repair my guitar since I keep breaking the strings themselves?
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Are the strings breaking at the nut or the bridge? You might have a sharp edge on either end.
If it's snapping in the middle, make sure you're not tuning an octave up.......hey, don't laugh.....I did it when I started
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster

Are they snapping towards the middle or lower towards the bridge? At one point my bridge had somehow developed a sharp spot on it, and as I played the string would break quite easily. I had to go through 3 high-E strings before I noticed what was happening.

EDIT: Arg, beaten to it by iwishiwasafish.
They say the old woman's got the wisdom
'Cause she couldn't read the clock anymore
She said "The numbers don't represent the moments"
Says she don't see what all the ticking's for
well.. if you really like guitar and you like pantera.. i would recommend a whole new guitar.. if you don't want to, change the strings. if you still have trouble, buy new tuners. if that doesn't work, a new bridge (along with the machines) should do the trick.
my shiz:
dean razorback explosion
agile septor 7 string
all monster/mogami cables

peavey JSX
peavey triple xxx cab

howabout some precision metal, ladies and gentlemen?
www.myspace.com/flawlessamongthefallen
I'm going to have to agree with the people that are saying get a new set of strings. Also, going along with the sharp edges post, if that is the case, simply take a file and just barely take the sharp edge off of there (don't want to ruin anything). However, if you are not comfortable doing this take it to a shop and lose $50...

pepsi
The strings are breaking at the lower end of the bridge, right where they come out, they don't break in half but they become so loose that you can't strum the string and get a sound out of it.

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by anti-goth
well.. if you really like guitar and you like pantera.. i would recommend a whole new guitar.. if you don't want to, change the strings. if you still have trouble, buy new tuners. if that doesn't work, a new bridge (along with the machines) should do the trick.

I'm getting a new guitar for my birthday in one month, but I think I'm going to change the strings from Fender (the kind I've been getting) to some other brand

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Quote by Thebiz
I'm getting a new guitar for my birthday in one month, but I think I'm going to change the strings from Fender (the kind I've been getting) to some other brand

I recommend Ernie Ball
Quote by chillininfl
dude, you don't even deserve her. women deserve respect. not rights, but respect. =]
Quote by GiantRaven
Having absolutely no body hair streamlines you. Means you can play guitar faster

Quote by Thebiz
The strings are breaking at the lower end of the bridge, right where they come out, they don't break in half but they become so loose that you can't strum the string and get a sound out of it.

Bring it into a shop, and tell them there's a burr in the bridge causing string breaks. they'll fix it for a nominal fee. Take it a to a good shop - not Guitar Center, mind you.

EDIT: Wait, they break, but just stay in there, loose? Are you sure they're brekaing, and it's not that you're not putting them in right?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Bring it into a shop, and tell them there's a burr in the bridge causing string breaks. they'll fix it for a nominal fee. Take it a to a good shop - not Guitar Center, mind you.

EDIT: Wait, they break, but just stay in there, loose? Are you sure they're brekaing, and it's not that you're not putting them in right?

I put them in just fine, as far as I can see. I notice also that when I break them they kind of...unravel or thin out at the end

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Get D'addarios. Also make sure you're strumming the strings, not digging your pick in underneath them and uprooting them.

Strum over not under.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by iwishiwasafish
I recommend Ernie Ball

+1, ive had em on my guitar for bout 7 months, none have broke yet.

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
I would buy GHS Boomers,9-42. Also, a tip I learned is, put some wire insulation on your strings rite where they are over the bridge. SRV did that I think. I've tried that and have'nt had a broken string in ages.
Quote by Thebiz
I put them in just fine, as far as I can see. I notice also that when I break them they kind of...unravel or thin out at the end

So that's the wound strings?